Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 10:57 AM

20,951 posts, read 28,477,125 times

Advertisements

I have a co-worker who is in her seventies and she said at one time she had 17 dogs and 10 cats. They were small dogs like dachshunds and schnauzers. She swore up and down that if you walked into her house you would not know she had all these animals because the house was clean,and organized and the animals were well taken care of. i find that hard to believe. I have been to her house and currently she has 5 dogs. 3 are Schnauzer puppies (1 year old) and the other 2 are dachshunds that are 18 years old. Other than a light smell of dog the house looks immaculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 10:05 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,416,735 times
The hoarder's house behind my property has been sold! It was a private sale, dirt cheap, and not on the market.

All summer long, some hired guy filled dumpster after dumpster, slowly removing stuff out. Not only was the house hoarded, but previously had "a hundred cats" (per another neighbor), which the city came and removed. I'm sure it was totally disgusting in there.

The yard, which resembles wild land, filled with brush, dead trees and a massive infestation of invasive bittersweet, could possibly become a normal yard sometime soon. It will be amazing.

Last edited by Taffee72; 10-17-2020 at 10:57 AM..

Old 10-17-2020, 10:09 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,666,422 times
I just received a notification from 23 and Me that I have a small percentage of Neanderthal DNA, which includes a marker for hoarding. It actually said that. It also said there was a marker for poor ability to perceive direction.

I am a clean freak, but I am constantly dealing with managing my stuff.

I also like to have enough of everything, but I don't go overboard.

Just wanted to note that there is a genetic marker for hoarding.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:20 AM

1,441 posts, read 673,415 times
I love watching the show and it does help with motivation to clean.
I have hoarder family members.
Thankfully not the garbage or food or animal type. I may have tendencies also I think but keep a close watch on myself.
I am continuously impressed with the professionals on the show.
I could never maintain the composure they do either in touring the house or dealing with those hoarder personalities. They are fantastic.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:41 AM

5,720 posts, read 4,310,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I just received a notification from 23 and Me that I have a small percentage of Neanderthal DNA, which includes a marker for hoarding. It actually said that. It also said there was a marker for poor ability to perceive direction.

I am a clean freak, but I am constantly dealing with managing my stuff.

I also like to have enough of everything, but I don't go overboard.

There's likely one for clean freak too.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:08 PM

21,985 posts, read 13,038,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
I love watching the show and it does help with motivation to clean.
I have hoarder family members.
Thankfully not the garbage or food or animal type. I may have tendencies also I think but keep a close watch on myself.
I am continuously impressed with the professionals on the show.
I could never maintain the composure they do either in touring the house or dealing with those hoarder personalities. They are fantastic.
I love the show(s), too, but I often wish they go less for the extreme, sensational cases (garbage piled to the ceiling, rat/roach infestations) and focus on more ordinary people with jobs and teeth who just struggle with too much stuff like many of us do. The crazy ones are entertaining, but less extreme cases would be more relatable. The old British series, "The Hoarder Next Door," with psychotherapist Stelios Kiosses, featured more mainstream people, some of whom just had an organized collection that got out of control or a spouse who got fed up with it. Makes a nice palate cleanser after a steady diet of dead flattened forgotten pets...

Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,211,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

This is news to me. Interesting.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:37 AM

19,688 posts, read 12,270,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I would call my husband a hoarder but not the type you see on TV. No, not garbage but things from 40 years ago that he cannot get rid of. MAYBE if someone offered him a lot of money for it he might.

Suits and shoes from 30 years ago. Shoe shine kit with cans of POLISH for same. At 71 do you think someone is going to hire you and you will need to wear a suit and polish dress shoes? Add to this all his golf equipment, bike, hunting, and fishing equipment. He has Parkinson's and falls down walking from the living room to bathroom. Golf? Hunting? Fishing?

IT Tech Manuals from 30 years ago????? Save that too? WHY? We have no room for all his "MY" stuff.

Not a hoarder?
Me? If I haven't worn or used something in a year or two, donate or throw it out. My only sentimental items are old family photo albums which certainly can be passed down through generations. Certainly not clothes or shoe polish I wore, used, decades ago.
Maybe it makes him happy to have that stuff from a time when he was healthier and able to be active. I like looking at my old stuff from my "party" days even though they are long gone. Organization is important. Some things can even be displayed in creative ways or organized in such a way that there is room instead of a mess. But don't try to take that away. You are not wrong and he is not wrong, just a different way of thinking.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:10 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,338,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe it makes him happy to have that stuff from a time when he was healthier and able to be active. I like looking at my old stuff from my "party" days even though they are long gone. Organization is important. Some things can even be displayed in creative ways or organized in such a way that there is room instead of a mess. But don't try to take that away. You are not wrong and he is not wrong, just a different way of thinking.
Few months ago our freezer broke. Bought a smaller one. So husband said he found a "good buy" on a bigger freezer. Let's buy that! I said what do we do with the other one? He said disconnect it and leave it next to the new one. NO. That is what he does. Buys new things and still wants to not get rid of the replaced things, working or not. That isn't a hoarder?

Old 10-28-2020, 06:39 PM

21,985 posts, read 13,038,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Few months ago our freezer broke. Bought a smaller one. So husband said he found a "good buy" on a bigger freezer. Let's buy that! I said what do we do with the other one? He said disconnect it and leave it next to the new one. NO. That is what he does. Buys new things and still wants to not get rid of the replaced things, working or not. That isn't a hoarder?
Why did you buy a smaller one in the first place? Maybe it wasn't big enough and he originally wanted one as big as the old one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health