Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 03:02 PM

21,985 posts, read 13,038,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That was the season finale; Matt Paxton swore he was done with the show after that, and I'm not sure it's come back yet?
UPDATE: New season tomorrow night on A&E (formerly "Arts and Entertainment"); marathon precedes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 04:11 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,399,892 times
I feel like I control my husband's hoarding. I throw things away when he is not looking. Of all the years I have been doing this, there is maybe two things he has noticed missing. I often think he is secretly okay with me doing it behind his back. He is aware I get rid of stuff. I can't even put it out on the curbside for trash day for him to see--because he will go through it and pull stuff out. Instead, I put it out in the very early morning--thankfully our trash people come at 6am. It is ridiculous the amount of stuff he saves. There are still boxes of stuff in a closet in our basement that have been there unopened since we moved here 38 years ago. Next month I am going to go through it and toss most.

I refuse to learn to live with it. I leave his office alone--which is pretty packed. The rest of the house--I will get rid of it when he is not looking.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:15 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,399,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t know if I have already commented, but I watch these shows because, every so often, someone overcomes it, Also, it makes me want to clean out a drawer, or closet.
Oh yes, I watch them every so often. They inspire me to get rid of stuff!

Old 07-28-2020, 05:40 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,416,735 times
I still don't understand how hoarders can live with the horrible stench, like with cat and dog urine and feces all over the floor, kitchens with rotting foods, bathrooms with plumbing issues, etc... Do hoarders lose their sense of smell? Why aren't they gagging, like you see the visitors in the hoarders shows who can barely breathe or stand being inside.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I still don't understand how hoarders can live with the horrible stench, like with cat and dog urine and feces all over the floor, kitchens with rotting foods, bathrooms with plumbing issues, etc... Do hoarders lose their sense of smell? Why aren't they gagging, like you see the visitors in the hoarders shows who can barely breathe or stand being inside.
They explain in almost every show that the hoarder becomes "nose blind" from the constant exposure to the smell.

Old 08-02-2020, 06:59 PM

22,672 posts, read 24,642,745 times
I can KINDA understand some hoarders..............the ones who have a lot of stuff, that truly is valuable, and they did/do have a gameplan as far as what to do with it.

The ones who save literal garbage, absolute junk like filthy stuffed-animals and obsolete and/or broken electronics, these people garner no sympathy from me, they come across as pathetic.

Oh yeah, subjecting your family/pets to your nitwitery makes it all the worse.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I can KINDA understand some hoarders..............the ones who have a lot of stuff, that truly is valuable, and they did/do have a gameplan as far as what to do with it.

The ones who save literal garbage, absolute junk like filthy stuffed-animals and obsolete and/or broken electronics, these people garner no sympathy from me, they come across as pathetic.

Oh yeah, subjecting your family/pets to your nitwitery makes it all the worse.
Agree; when you have accumulated too many things of at least some value that could be sold or should be donated, it's harder to get motivated and get it done (I alternate between resolving to sell it to make some money and just wanting to donate it to get rid of it once and for all) versus having just layers of trash and garbage or pet (or worse, human) waste on the floor, which would be a no-brainer and easy, quick clean-up. I think that separates the merely disorganized or somewhat lazy from the truly pathological.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:32 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,338,778 times
I would call my husband a hoarder but not the type you see on TV. No, not garbage but things from 40 years ago that he cannot get rid of. MAYBE if someone offered him a lot of money for it he might.

Suits and shoes from 30 years ago. Shoe shine kit with cans of POLISH for same. At 71 do you think someone is going to hire you and you will need to wear a suit and polish dress shoes? Add to this all his golf equipment, bike, hunting, and fishing equipment. He has Parkinson's and falls down walking from the living room to bathroom. Golf? Hunting? Fishing?

IT Tech Manuals from 30 years ago????? Save that too? WHY? We have no room for all his "MY" stuff.

Not a hoarder?
Me? If I haven't worn or used something in a year or two, donate or throw it out. My only sentimental items are old family photo albums which certainly can be passed down through generations. Certainly not clothes or shoe polish I wore, used, decades ago.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-03-2020 at 04:44 PM..

Old 08-03-2020, 04:44 PM

8,784 posts, read 5,085,584 times
Sad....a disease, just like any other.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:52 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,477,125 times
there is no reason to hoard garbage and expired food. I watch this show often and it inspires me to throw stuff out. I think in our own little way we are all hoarders just not to the extreme of the people on TV, we may have 5 of something and we can't part with even one. I say if you have not used it in a year toss it, donate or sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health