Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 AM

506 posts, read 1,012,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunJuan View Post
Also, Just like Snake, you come off as the type of person who has never really been outside of the Mid-South and seen and experienced the differences between Memphis and other parts of the country that actually work like they are in the 21st Century. But as I said, that's on YOU. Keep on living in the Memphis area---especially one of the toy towns---and painting your own reality since you think everything is so rosy and wonderful here.
I've actually only lived here for about three years. My family is from New York, and I grew up there, St. Louis, went to college in Chicago, and then lived in South Africa for a year. And here I live in downtown Memphis, not Germantown or Collierville. So your ad hominem doesn't really work there.

Moreover, if you actually paid attention to what anyone says on this message board, you'd know that I am definitely not someone who thinks everything is "rosy and wonderful" in Memphis. Thankfully you seem to be a lot more negative than even me, so good thing I don't have to be 'that guy' anymore.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 02-19-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 AM

10 posts, read 21,374 times
I agree that there are a lot of problems in Memphis. But there are a lot of good things, too. It's very easy to focus in on all the negatives and fail to see the positives.

I'm very concerned that someone reading this thread and some of the others on this site are going to think Memphis is a big hole that everyone just needs to stay away from.

It's not true at all.

It's easy to sit behind a computer screen and curse the darkness. What about lighting a candle? ShawnJuan, I think you've mentioned moving to Houston, but speaking as someone who's spent a lot of time there, trust me, Houston is not without its race problems, crime problems, class problems, etc. Also, the weather there is even MORE humid than Memphis's....

I'm coming back to Memphis because there are a lot of good things going on there that just seem to be ignored by a lot of people. Ok, the schools have problems. So do Atlanta's. So do Dallas's (where I live now). A lot of the same problems facing Memphis schools are also being faced in other metro areas. Wealthy people are pulling their kids out of Dallas schools, too. Shoot, 2 years ago, we had massive layoffs of teachers in Dallas because the superintendent effectively made an accounting error! And, did you happen to hear the story on NPR either yesterday or Friday about the huge problems in Kansas City, MO schools?

I, personally, plan to become more involved in my city when I get moved back. When I lived there before, I lived in the county; now I'll be in the city, in East Memphis. (By the way, where I lived before, near Shelby Drive/Hacks Cross/Germantown Road was predominately middle class African Americans. It was and still is a very nice area).

I'm looking forward to being back in Memphis and enjoying the excellent health care, the awesome Memphis Greenline, Shelby Farms, finishing up my graduate degree at the U of M, enjoying the Dixon Gallery, the Botanical Gardens, the Zoo, the reasonable traffic, the excellent restaurants, and that funky Memphis vibe.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:39 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Thread closed. Hopefully, some of you can learn to disagree and be civil at the same time.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis