Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,507,136 times

Advertisements

Notably compared to Nashville or Birmingham ?.

The racial makeup of the city was 61% african americans...
Memphis was not in the top ten cities for AA but there are underrated cities in US...Maybe Memphis for AA or not...
Thoughts my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 PM

550 posts, read 604,249 times
Hell no!! Sorry. I had to keep it real.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM

550 posts, read 604,249 times
To elaborate, if you're heavily into church, yes. You will love it here. If you're a free thinking, innovative black person who's into health & fitness, you will be in awe of how backwards and dysfunctional the black community is. This is not a progressive city in general. It desperately wants to be, but the social ills are deeply rooted and can't be ignored. Also, notice how no one wanted to touch your question. You posted it 6 hours ago. It's ironic how Memphians hate discussing race but the city is so segregated.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
To elaborate, if you're heavily into church, yes. You will love it here. If you're a free thinking, innovative black person who's into health & fitness, you will be in awe of how backwards and dysfunctional the black community is. This is not a progressive city in general. It desperately wants to be, but the social ills are deeply rooted and can't be ignored. Also, notice how no one wanted to touch your question. You posted it 6 hours ago. It's ironic how Memphians hate discussing race but the city is so segregated.

Hello 80skid,

Thanks for your answer.My thread is not a provocation but i would like to understand why cities with black majority couldn 't be good cities for AA.
I feel that is the same thing for other cities like Baltimore ,Birmingham.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,685,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Notably compared to Nashville or Birmingham ?. Thoughts my friends.
First off, you have to be very careful with post & threads comparing Memphis to other cities like Nashville, Birmingham & Baltimore. 80sKid will get very upset and troll your thread... wait too late!

Anyways, lets take a look at the black community of metro Memphis compared to another metro that is known nationally for quality of life, high educational attainment & economic growth. Raleigh-Durham comes to mind. I found these numbers compiled and I would say they are pre-Great Recession or its' beginnings.

All statistics are from the Census Bureau - 2007 American Community Survey

EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT
Raleigh-Durham: Black Population 25 years and over: 224,164
Less than high school diploma: 16.5%
High school graduate (includes equivalency): 29.7%
Some college or associate's degree: 28.8%
Bachelor's degree: 17.6%
Graduate or professional degree: 7.4%

Memphis: Black Population 25 years and over: 336,435
Less than high school diploma: 22.7%
High school graduate (includes equivalency): 35.0%

Some college or associate's degree: 28.6%
Bachelor's degree: 9.1%

Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%

EMPLOYMENT STATUS
Raleigh-Durham: Black Population 16 years and over: 280,840
In labor force: 67.9%

Civilian labor force: 67.8%
Employed: 60.9%
Unemployed: 6.9%
Percent of civilian labor force: 10.2%
Armed Forces: 0.1%
Not in labor force: 32.1%

Memphis: Black Population 16 years and over: 422,987
In labor force: 65.9%
Civilian labor force: 65.8%
Employed: 55.8%
Unemployed: 10.0%
Percent of civilian labor force: 15.1%
Armed Forces: 0.2%
Not in labor force: 34.1%

INCOME IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS (IN 2006 INFLATION-ADJUSTED DOLLARS)

Raleigh-Durham: Black Median household income: $35,436

Memphis: Black Median household income: $31,257

I find a lot of these numbers relatively marginal in comparison, but a couple such as bachelor's attainment are lacking for Memphis. The national African-American community has much work to do to improve these numbers, but an African-American should NOT see themselves without opportunity for a quality life in Memphis. Not by a long shot.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 PM

70 posts, read 204,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
I find a lot of these numbers relatively marginal in comparison, but a couple such as bachelor's attainment are lacking for Memphis. The national African-American community has much work to do to improve these numbers, but an African-American should NOT see themselves without opportunity for a quality life in Memphis. Not by a long shot.
This is not meant as an excuse for Memphis' lack of educational attainment, but one also has to remember that the NC Triad has three well known universities that are known for academics to some degree (Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and to a lesser extent NC State), whereas Memphis has well, the U of M, and despite the advancements made in certain departments, the U of M is still considered to be 'Tiger High' by many locals, and still isn't taken seriously in academics (at least by most) on a national scale.

Also, having the 'Athens of the South' being a 3 hour drive away, along with it being our state capital doesn't help matters much either.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:44 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
This is a very difficult question to answer. I guess it depends on your ideal place. Not all black people are going to thrive in the same type of city.

Lets take Raleigh/Durham. There are alot more educated blacks in that area but if you cant stand the climate its not a good place for you.

Atlanta is another popular destination for blacks. I personally cant stand the place because i thrive off of urban cities like New York and Chicago.

Memphis imo is like an oversize small town thats very southern and conservative in nature. Although there are alot of blacks there, there is a strong culture of disenfranchisement that is not seen in other cities. Plenty of black owned businesses, doctors, lawyers and polititians. It somehow seems life for the average joe is better in many places.

There isnt a right or wrong answer to your question since blacks dont all look at things the same. No other group does either. The best recommendation is to find out what your looking for and choose your spot based upon whats conducive to your lifestyle.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 AM

628 posts, read 1,685,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
This is not meant as an excuse for Memphis' lack of educational attainment, but one also has to remember that the NC Triad has three well known universities that are known for academics to some degree (Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and to a lesser extent NC State), whereas Memphis has well, the U of M, and despite the advancements made in certain departments, the U of M is still considered to be 'Tiger High' by many locals, and still isn't taken seriously in academics (at least by most) on a national scale.
I would hardly consider the University Of Memphis "Tiger High" as it certainly holds its' own in national rankings of quality & research. Plus, U of M has great graduate programs and enrollment of 22,000. Memphis also has Rhodes College which has the highest rated 4 year programs in Tennessee & Christian Brothers University. Also, I think Memphis holds more strength in colleges & unversities at a regional level with Ole Miss, Arkansas State University, UT Martin, Union University (Jackson & Germantown campuses) & Freed Hardeman University to name a few.

Quote:
Also, having the 'Athens of the South' being a 3 hour drive away, along with it being our state capital doesn't help matters much either.
Sorry, but "Athens Of The South" is only a marketing pitch, not common consensus. Vanderbilt, of course, is a fine institution of considerable size and to a lesser degree, Belmont. Although, Tennessee State University, which accounts for a large percentage of local college grads is a total joke in danger of losing accreditation. TSU is the true "Tiger High", not University Of Memphis.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:39 AM

What i 've read Nashville seems better.What are the reasons ?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 AM

70 posts, read 204,493 times
Quote:
I would hardly consider the University Of Memphis "Tiger High" as it certainly holds its' own in national rankings of quality & research. Plus, U of M has great graduate programs and enrollment of 22,000.
Hey, I never said that I considered the UofM to be Tiger High.

Quote:
Memphis also has Rhodes College which has the highest rated 4 year programs in Tennessee & Christian Brothers University.
Yes we do. Now do you have links to these claims (in regards to Rhodes) to convince people outside of Memphis that those are as good as Duke and UNC? Also, Duke alone has greater enrollment than all of the non-U of M schools in the Memphis metro area combined, Duke University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Quote:
Also, I think Memphis holds more strength in colleges & unversities at a regional level with Ole Miss, Arkansas State University, UT Martin, Union University (Jackson & Germantown campuses) & Freed Hardeman University to name a few.
If you're gonna play up these schools, you might want to have some good reasons as to why this is the case, just in case a weisenheist version 7 or 8 were to ever come back and pay us another visit.

Getting things back on track...

To the OP: Read through some of the CD forums, particularly the ones about moving to _____ city, and you'll notice that there are many in other regions (including Nashville) are full of people who want to move there, whereas in the Memphis forum, as much as I hate to say it, most people who ask around are moving here for a job transfer. Also, check out the language in the forums on the Nashville forum. Most threads there don't devolve into what they do here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis