Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 AM

13 posts, read 23,484 times

Advertisements

The meaningless term "African American" is used by uninformed people who are attempting to sound politically-correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 02:23 PM

98 posts, read 370,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
This is not meant as an excuse for Memphis' lack of educational attainment, but one also has to remember that the NC Triad has three well known universities that are known for academics to some degree (Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, and to a lesser extent NC State), whereas Memphis has well, the U of M, and despite the advancements made in certain departments, the U of M is still considered to be 'Tiger High' by many locals, and still isn't taken seriously in academics (at least by most) on a national scale.

Also, having the 'Athens of the South' being a 3 hour drive away, along with it being our state capital doesn't help matters much either.
The fogleman school of business is one of the best in the country. It is accredited by AASCB.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM

80 posts, read 151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownDude View Post
The meaningless term "African American" is used by uninformed people who are attempting to sound politically-correct.
My thoughts exactly. I am of German descent, but I do not call myself a German American...........how ridiculous!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirlok View Post
My thoughts exactly. I am of German descent, but I do not call myself a German American...........how ridiculous!
Well like with all Caucasians your just called American. But with everyone else there supposed place of origin is placed in front of your being American. This is how white America classifies people.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 AM

550 posts, read 604,807 times
Quote:
I believe Jesse Jackson had something to do with this. So blame him and not the rest of the blacks. I'm pretty sure you're proud of your heritage. I see no reason why a black person couldn't express that same pride if they chose to.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM

80 posts, read 151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
Well like with all Caucasians your just called American. But with everyone else there supposed place of origin is placed in front of your being American. This is how white America classifies people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sKid View Post
I believe Jesse Jackson had something to do with this. So blame him and not the rest of the blacks. I'm pretty sure you're proud of your heritage. I see no reason why a black person couldn't express that same pride if they chose to.

African American did not originate from the average white person. It was probably, as 80's kid suggested, Jesse Jackson, along with various politicians. Being politically correct, above all else, is what truly matters.............NOT!! By the way, 80'sKid, I have NEVER used the "n word," as you suggested in another post.
There is nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage. I don't really dwell on it. Why continually shove it down people's throats? When thinking of my heritage, I usually don't think of "way back" unless I'm doing genealogy. This is unlike the black race, who constantly reminds of us of their heritage and how bad it was. Your heritage is history just as mine is. My genealogy tells me that my family left Germany due to religious persecution, but I don't go around talking about it.......as a matter of fact, I just now remembered that part of my heritage. Get over yourself!!

Last edited by Farmgirlok; 01-28-2011 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
African American did not originate from the average white person. It was probably, as 80's kid suggested, Jesse Jackson, along with various politicians. Being politically correct, above all else, is what truly matters.............NOT!! By the way, 80'sKid, I have NEVER used the "n word," as you suggested in another post.
There is nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage. I don't really dwell on it. Why continually shove it down people's throats? When thinking of my heritage, I usually don't think of "way back" unless I'm doing genealogy. This is unlike the black race, who constantly reminds of us of their heritage and how bad it was. Your heritage is history just as mine is. My genealogy tells me that my family left Germany due to religious persecution, but I don't go around talking about it.......as a matter of fact, I just now remembered that part of my heritage. Get over yourself!!
What Jesse Jackson and "them" were doing was trying to get away from having terms like Negro and colored being used to reference us. And that whole get over yourself bs white people love to use when this topic comes up, you need to go somewhere with that. Bringing up your forgotten German heritage doesn't even make sense. "black" people bring up the past because it's so recent and relevant. Our beginning starts here

Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Question. Would you tell a Jewish person to not mention the holocaust? I highly doubt it. I mean, the average Jewish person never experienced it, right? And to anyone who reads this and is offended, analyze the question first(don't use smear tactics to steer away from my point). The same logic applies.

I happen to be a black person who doesn't dwell on the past. I don't want to be constantly reminded of a time when white people could tell me what I could and could not do. You make interesting points. But it's hard to overlook your disdain for black people. Your message gets lost in your hate.

And what's this?!?!
Quote:
Get over yourself!!
Was this directed to me?!?! What I really think of whites I've managed to keep to myself. Why? Because this is Citydata. This isn't the place for the type of comments you make. Keep it up though. The more people like you post the better. It paints a more accurate picture of Memphis for potential transplants. That way they can make better assessments and see why this city is so far behind REAL big cities. You do more damage to this city's already tarnished image when you post.

Last edited by 80sKid; 01-29-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
"black" people bring up the past because it's so recent and relevant.
I agree. But we've managed to regress. The time for complaining has long since passed. We rectify these issues by better parenting and educating little black girls and boys in impoverished inner-city Memphis. County residents have made it clear they want nothing to do with Memphis kids. This should be telling enough. Why expect sympathy from people who don't care?? It's insanity!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,588 times
I moved to memphis last year and I have lived all over the united states. so, when I moved here, I was excited about being around a majority of black people because I know how it is to live when it is the other way around. I have to say that I am absolutely shocked an apalled at the ignorance, back biting back stabbing and crabs in the bucket mentality. I guess, after having lived in charlotte and raleigh- durham, I thought it would have been a more positive experience. This is not the case, and i believe the low level of educated professional blacks play a large part in my experience. I cannot believe how the black people treat each other in Memphis. It is like they hate to see you succeed, they hate you for no reason and they keep a lot of mess going on/in jobs-especially the black women. Black women, what is your problem in memphis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis