Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:11 PM

201 posts, read 823,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Why don't you do this where you live now, or where your family and friends live, or do this by your employers house! Park in your local park and build a fire there, let your dog poop on your land!

You like Cabo because of the lack of rules? and lack of rules and Maui are in your same thinking? Keep your disrespectful loser butt back where you live now. How would you like it if Hawaiian residents moved to where you live and started shacking on your front lawn? You wouldn't like that. It is so disrespectful to think that because Hawaii isn't exactly like the rest of the mainland that just being a BUM is perfectly acceptable for Hawaii!
We have the same lack of rules in Alaska and I love it... we build bon fires all the time on the beach and let the dogs run and play, and well .... it's alaska so we drink lots of liquid sunshine. We get plenty of Hawaiian residents who come up in summer to work the salmon boats and tenders, and they seem to enjoy those lax rules too. Wouldn't waste being offended by this, The dude was just asking, there are LOTS of places in this country where people party and relax on river beds and beaches in the exact manner he suggested. I know it's a departure from the accepted social culture in Hawaii, but at least he asked first instead of just showing up and doing it.

Anyway, besides bonfires, beer, and dogs- know what else we do in Alaska? Freeze our butts off!!! 5 more weeks until my next Hawaiian adventure begins....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Calico and Pacific as usually good information! Still can't rep you..

Illz I can't speak for Maui but Big Island. I understand where you are coming from as I have been in the PNW for many years. This winter was the first I brought my dog over to the Big Island. At first I was shocked at how many places I couldn't take my dog. Amazed that hotels don't let you have a dog in a room. OK 4 Seasons but whatever.

Soo many people have dogs in Hawaii. There is many differnt ways people think and treat their dogs. Many people are afraid at times of a dog off the leash because of hunting dogs and other opinions that are had about dogs. I would be wary at times when dogs off leash because you don't know how "behaved" they are. I rarely let my dog off the leash unless I was at a remote local beach spot and no one else around. He rarely was ever at any tourist beach period. He had a blast but it is limited to areas.

Bon fires. Haha Last year I gota say I wanted the same thing. Then learned. One if it is iron wood around good luck getting that, try the local mesquite trees- pass on that for the thorns. Uhmm it is warm already and the stars are there. And after seeing what wild fires do on the islands and complete lack of equipment to fight fires. I will always pass unless in a BBQ. I can't even imagine a fire on the beach like Cannon beach...

Just got home to WA - I have been in complete culture shock. Still am. Things are wonderful in the islands but it is very, very differnt wonderful. Can't wait to go back next winter... after Alaska for trhe summer. Good luck. Enjoy with learning the ways of Hawaii culture. And as far as the camping and beach experience you are used to in PNW - nope you won't have an experience like that. It will be good but differnt.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Thanks!

By the way, it is still legal to eat dog in the state of Hawaii. Unfortunately every now & then one gets stolen, and it could be for either consumption or for use in dog fighting training. If you come out camping, don't leave your doggie behind in camp.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:56 PM

I learned the term Poi dog was from the Kapu system. Women couldn't eat many of the foods- meat included that men did. Poi dogs were dogs feed on Poi diet for women to eat. Not to go into any Asian customs... here in WA many dogs dissapeared in the 80's and90's for this reason.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:36 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
What you perceive as freedom is Mexico being a third world country

Old 04-17-2010, 03:41 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
BTW in Texas you can drive and build fires on some beaches (unless there is a burn ban)

Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,350 times
ah, the leash law. the most annoying law broken by people everywhere on a daily basis.

keeping your dog on a leash keeps it safe. it keeps my dog safe. it keeps you and me safe.

the main argument is "my dog is sweet, docile and is not agressive" and that has so little to do with the leash law. your dog may be perfect, but my dog isn't. when my dog is on a leash and your dog runs up to him and gets bit in the face it's YOUR fault. no matter how awesome your dog is, it's still a dog. just the other day my aunts perfect dog who requires no leash because he's "a real sweetie and wouldn't hurt a soul!" got excited about something, ran into the street and was hit by a semi. my dog has $6,000 worth of of metal in his legs and when your perfect sweet dog runs up to play with him and accidentally breaks his leg, you are paying for it. if you're dog is so perfect and knows to stay close to you and behave, why not just put him on the damned leash? what is so wrong with it? is it that annoying to have to hold the little 10oz leash in your hand while you take them out? dogs are dogs. they are animals. they will do things that you never thought possible, no matter how long you've had them. keep them away from me, my dog, my area while i'm out. thinking you are exempt for ANY reason from the leash law means you need to check your main character syndrome and reconsider the safety of your pet. for their safety and sake, please take care of them properly!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:28 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
ah, the leash law. the most annoying law broken by people everywhere on a daily basis.

keeping your dog on a leash keeps it safe. it keeps my dog safe. it keeps you and me safe.

Everything you wrote is true. But I break the leash law every single day. Why?

There are not enough off-leash dog parks in Honolulu. My dog is a very energetic breed. She needs to run and play and work out that energy, or she won't be healthy and happy. A tired dog is a well-behaved and non-aggressive dog.

So, yes, I got to parks where dogs are allowed and let her off leash. I go to parks where dogs are technically not allowed and let her off leash. If there were an off-leash dog park within walking distance of my house, I would go there instead. So would everyone I know who does the same. But there's not. And I'm not going to drive 5+ miles three times a day to exercise my dog.

My dog is under voice control. I never let her run over to a strange dog. I make her stop and sit, check with the other owner if their dog is OK with it, and then help her to approach slowly. If she ever for a second ignores a voice command, she goes back on leash immediately. And yes, I take full responsibility for whatever she does while off leash. If she hurts your on-leash dog, I will pay the vet bills. If she gets hurt by your on-leash dog, likewise. If she gets hurt while playing with another off-leash dog... well, stuff happens when you run and play, to dogs and to people, and I'll get her fixed up at my expense.

Most of the aggressive dogs out there would be lots better if they were given (lots of) opportunities to socialize with other dogs off leash. My dog is not perfect, but she is well-trained, and she does need her exercise. I wish Honolulu gave me the option to be both a law-abiding citizen and a good dog owner. It doesn't, so I choose the latter. Every day.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:40 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Aloha ,

You know I don't have a problem with packing up all my stuff loading it up in my rent a car going down to the beach and building a big bonfire and BBQing my dog....... waking up in the morning and going home.....Spending the next week looking for a nice fat new dog to do it again on the weekend...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 AM

Koa your bad.....You don't even have room to sleep on the bed You both told me because Koa takes up all the room. And everyone Koa is the best looking dog I have every seen! It is the most spolid dog on the earth beyond mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui