Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM

209 posts, read 722,270 times

Advertisements

Aloha Everyone!

Just curious as to what the construction/concrete trade is looking like in Maui? We are here in Central Oregon and the building has come to a complete halt. We've had a few jobs here and there, but nothing substantial. The boom is over!

Mahalo for your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 PM

70 posts, read 288,068 times
Default concrete

aloha
its starting slowly ..as in verrrrrrrrry slow
just look at ...when banks pass out money again for construction tp kick in again ..

then you will only have to wait behind all the people who have lived here

you keep asking the same type questions looking for a different answer

do you think construction on maui would be better than oregon

i think not............................................... ...................................

the best brains .. the economists say... at least 2 to 3 more years ..

try reading the honolulu advertiser and maui news online ...after reading them for a few months you will get an idea of the economy

ie the sunday paper lists no no no jobs in construction ,,,

so take some savings and live here vs oregon ..the sun will brighten your lives if nothing else

xsatonedrocker

Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,516,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Aloha Everyone!

Just curious as to what the construction/concrete trade is looking like in Maui? We are here in Central Oregon and the building has come to a complete halt. We've had a few jobs here and there, but nothing substantial. The boom is over!

Mahalo for your feedback
Maui is a small island with a small population. Oahu is doing the best of the island chain, but even that is rather misleading.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
I do drafting and for the past several years I've made more money in selling barnyard type chickens and repairing clocks than in drafting. I see the jobs several months before they hit the contractors and new construction has been few and far between. Now, this past month, there have been a lot of drafting jobs showing up, but that's because they are planning on changing the building codes and folks that built houses without building permits (but up to code) are now in a panic to get the paperwork done. I am, however, on the Island of Hawaii (aka "the Big Island") so perhaps it's different in Maui.

As of this week, the federal government is no longer buying bad mortgages so I'm figuring the banks are going to be even less likely to loan money for either construction or mortgages on existing houses. So what has been a cold housing market is quite likely to become glacial.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Aloha exstonedrocker,

I suppose I am looking for a different answer to the same question. As I truly appreciate your input, I do know there are other people in this forum besides you (take no offense please). I like to get others points of view as well. Like perhaps from local Mauian contractors that have been doing business and living there for awhile.

Many Mahalo's

Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 PM

I appreciate all of your reply's and input. It just seems it's bleak all over, even in paradise. Lets hope it gets better soon. I just figure if we can hold out here in Central Oregon until the building starts again, we'll have it made cause we will be the only contractor left in town . Then will get to visit Maui more often.

Many Mahalo's

Old 04-04-2010, 12:51 AM

70 posts, read 288,068 times
Default work is a 4 letter word

t maui wont cure it ...its a treatable illness that can only be solved by time ..

i have friends in the construction business that i have met since moving here 8 months ago from oregon ...some are kinda busy and have daze off and some have many daze off and some are moving to central oregon cause they think they might be the only contractor there ..

that being said ... they are only using their buddies for work ....

im not sure if/when you are coming back ...airline deals aside ...

come for a long 7 day trip and come and really see for yourself ..and be honest with yourself ..

it can be done ..or you go home in a year or so ..

shipping truck 1100 bucs
shipping tools etc approx ..1000 bucs ..or buy here
rent in kihei min lease 1000 to 1200 month
food 4 to 700 month
phone 50 to 100
maui electric 100 to 150 month
cable tv 20 to 100 month going out up to you
gas approx with truck 200 a month
clothes leave all your oregon stuff in o r e g o n

maybe you might find something else ...

you never know

xstonedrocker

Old 04-04-2010, 01:14 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
I met a guy at the Auto Parts store from San Antonio. He works in construction but he's moving back to San Antonio because there's not much work here. But apparently there is work in SA.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 AM

We know a contractor here in Central Oregon that recently packed up everything and moved to San Antonio. My husband asked him why San Antonio?, and his reply was that construction was doing well there,cheaper to live, the economy there has remained good and he wasn't going to stay here in Central Oregon and go broke hmmmm! He might just have a good idea there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: