Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 AM

18 posts, read 53,327 times

Advertisements

We will be heading to Maui in about a month, we will have 2 youg girls with us the second week & though that they might like to see a laua show - like Old Lahaina ( a bit costly for pre-teen girls or is it worth the costs ) any other activities that you could offer up ?
We had boys, and what might interest little girls is a bit out of my field ( my wife asked for me to come up with an event ) my hiking, beachcombing, Ocean Center have been meet with a little less excitement then I had hoped for. . .

Any ideas . . . . They like the Beach, but burn very quickly & don't like the salt - so it is hard to get them into the water . . . I will not spend every day shopping, nor at the movies ( if I can help it )

Any help with what 2 little girls might like ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:11 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
Where are you staying? I wouldn't drive across the island for a luau. [I noted that you mentioned Old Lahaina, but your location says "moving to Kiehi." (sic)]

There are nice luau in South Maui if you're staying in Kihei or Wailea -- a good friend of mine just got the contract for the one at Grand Wailea, for instance. He also does the one at the Ka'anapali Westin and the Ka'anapali Beach Club (former Embassy Suites at Honokowai in West Maui.

We usually choose which luau based on the guests: if they'll respond to a great sunset and location, we pick Old Lahaina; better food, the Hyatt; cultural "authenticity" The Feast at Lele,; etc. For tweens, I'd pick what's close -- they won't really pick up on the subtleties unless they've been to several or have some kind of precocious knowledge of hula or Hawaiian culture.

I haven't been yet, but there's a new "Cirque Polynesia" show at the Ka'anapali Hyatt that is similar to Cirque du Soleil shows and "Ulalena" (but not exactly, I guess).

We hosted two very sheltered 18-year-old girls a couple of years ago, and they seemed to enjoy anything that afforded the surreptitious ogling and photographing of boys -- luau, the Friday noon mele group at the Ritz-Carlton, Trilogy trip to Lana'i, picnic on Hamoa beach with local bodyboarders in the background. Whether or not they actually met the guys seemed superfluous. Go figure. They very much enjoyed photographing each other with the male service staff of the Old Lahaina Luau, who were somewhat scantily clad and more than willing to accommodate them. [???? I'm much too old to speculate. It was harmless, though.]

Enjoy your stay.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:03 AM

18 posts, read 53,327 times
Mahalo, We will be staying in Kiehi - any local events that are put on mainly by kids - I remember a production that was put on at a shopping center ( enclosed so I guess I could call it a Mall ).

I believe that it was across the street from " Aloha Plate Lunch " that was really fun to watch.

Is this or something like it available, sometime near the end of August ? ( or possibly a Summer School, Club or Church Production ? )

Mahalo again, for any & all replys. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui