Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,512,373 times

Advertisements

I guess I have not shame to post here, haha.

I'm a college grad, solid Christian worker, but one thing against me is I only have bus transportation (well, that and the economy). It's always an option but I don't feel like foraging for my own food

Any leads would be appreciated.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Well, it is difficult to help anyone when we haven't a clue what the college degree is in, nor what area of the island to start, what skills there are to work with or any sort of parameters at all. From the data given as far as we can tell suggesting working at the corner gas station might be as applicable as applying for CEO of some business.

Overall, with this economy, there just aren't that many jobs out there. Have you checked with your college jobs counselor about possible available openings in the field you went to college to learn? Personally, I suspect we are going to have loads of college grads in several years and I still haven't a clue what jobs there will be for them. Is there any self employment? Start a business of any type? It doesn't take much to start working. Figure out what you are good at doing, find someone who wants that done and ask them if you can do it for them. Or offer to do the "chore" type jobs such as house cleaning, yard work, etc. Lots of folks have started businesses by finding an need and providing for it.

Considering how many different religions we have around here, it might be best to not mention any particular type when looking for employment unless you know the specific employer you are applying to values that sort of religion. Unless you are applying to be a missionary, being overtly religious may not be beneficial.

From what I've noticed it seems that generally folks are hired because they fit in well with the other workers and hopefully, they can also do the work required. Having a positive and cheerful attitude does wonders for employment possibilities.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,736,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
I guess I have not shame to post here, haha.

I'm a college grad, solid Christian worker, but one thing against me is I only have bus transportation (well, that and the economy). It's always an option but I don't feel like foraging for my own food

Any leads would be appreciated.

Mahalo!
When you first mentioned coming to Hawaii all you talked about was visiting firends and staying with freinds and like that. You never mentioned anything about living on Hawaii. You never asked anything about employement. During that time there were many many post about the employment picture on Hawaii and other issues one moving here have to consider. Did you bother to read any of those post? Did you bother to take a second to see how all those issues would apply to you? What type of reseacrch did you do before moving to Hawaii about jobs and such?

What you are going through is the exact thing many caution people moving to Hawaii about. One hour of reading and understanding what was being said would have prepared you for this.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:40 PM

369 posts, read 779,652 times
Maui jobs with only bus transportation. It looks grim...real grim. Unless you have some good connections you are probably going to have to live in either kahului, kihei, or lahaina and pray you can get a service job.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 AM

91 posts, read 420,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
When you first mentioned coming to Hawaii all you talked about was visiting firends and staying with freinds and like that. You never mentioned anything about living on Hawaii. You never asked anything about employement. During that time there were many many post about the employment picture on Hawaii and other issues one moving here have to consider. Did you bother to read any of those post? Did you bother to take a second to see how all those issues would apply to you? What type of reseacrch did you do before moving to Hawaii about jobs and such?

What you are going through is the exact thing many caution people moving to Hawaii about. One hour of reading and understanding what was being said would have prepared you for this.

I agree with PacificFlights. If you can't even research the forums for information, then you probably aren't such a great job candidate anyway.

Sorry to be blunt, but Maui probably already has enough random people just wandering around...not contributing positively to the people who actually call this place "home"...and just living off of the social services here.

I can understand why many locals here want mainlanders to just visit and then go home... and not pitch a tent and live on the beach.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,428,897 times
Aloha Dogfood...bus transportation on Maui is really pretty reliable. You'll just have to accommodate your life w/the bus schedule. It's been done before. Lots of work, here, you just need to start looking. Several employment agencies are hiring and lots of positions open in medical facilities. Roomies and ride-share can make it all happen.
Koale

Old 10-05-2010, 10:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,512,373 times
Thanks for your encouragement, Koale.

I'm really surprised by the lack of "aloha spirit" from some of the other posters, especially since they know nothing of my current arrangement here, my intent, nor my motivation for remaining on the island. I simply asked for some leads and joked about picking my own food.

One response made it seem like there's a law that one must do exhaustive research before taking any chances in life.

Another responder seems to want the island populated with a specific type of people, sending other walks-of-life back where they came from.

I'm just a guy looking to make my contribution to this beautiful island in exchange for a wage to be able to enjoy it.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
Well, we still don't know what sort of employment would be suitable to suggest for you. Generally folks have some idea of possible employment ventures, you know, things like "construction", "service industry", "truck driver", "bank president". Maybe you can find employment driving the bus since that's what you'd be using to get to work anyway.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:59 AM

5 posts, read 8,755 times
Default I hear ya...

You know DogFood... you'll find the same few members doggin' (no pun intended) everybody that posts here...just blow 'em off... I can't tell if you are already here, on Maui, or not, but there are even several park-and-rides you could make use of if living in Kihei was more your style and working in Lahaina area. No two points are really very far apart. It will all work. For instance, we have a new neighbor who landed on Maui, couldn't find immediate work, went to Oahu 1 month ago to better his chances, was there one week only to get a call and a job offer from Maui Memorial Medical Center. He came back and was sitting on his steps looking at a bus schedule day before yesterday. We started talking and since I work there, I offered him transportation until he figured things out, in exchange for helping me move my entertainment center into my new apt in December. Fair exchange, wouldn't you say? Could I use the $100.00 he offered for gas money? Oh, you betcha...but, he needs it more right now. He'll be able to get on his feet and not worry about how he's going to get to work. It's all good, yeah? So...shaka and welcome to Maui.
A hui hou.
Koale

Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,736,431 times
"Aloha Spirit" is a two-way street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui