Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 AM

35 posts, read 174,561 times

Advertisements

I was planning on visiting Maui for a few days while in hawaii, but it seems the entire island's out of rental cars from the end of Dec. to early Jan. ! Is this possible? I thought there'd be less visitors this year due to the state of the economy and all. In any case, do any of you have any insider tips on where I might be able to rent a car for 3-5 days in Maui (i've checked every online rental agency)?

I'm not sure if I should venture to Maui if I don't have access to a car...I might be stuck at one location the entire time since taxi rides add up fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:40 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Probably the rental car places shipped their extra cars off to another island which has more tourists these days or just didn't get as many cars for this year's fleet. Will you be renting a car on Oahu? Perhaps the folks you rent a car from there can help you renting a car on Maui?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:47 AM

156 posts, read 806,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
I was planning on visiting Maui for a few days while in hawaii, but it seems the entire island's out of rental cars from the end of Dec. to early Jan. ! Is this possible? I thought there'd be less visitors this year due to the state of the economy and all. In any case, do any of you have any insider tips on where I might be able to rent a car for 3-5 days in Maui (i've checked every online rental agency)?

I'm not sure if I should venture to Maui if I don't have access to a car...I might be stuck at one location the entire time since taxi rides add up fast!
Did you check online or you actually call them? If you only check online that's may be just computer glitch (I have seen this before). I would call them directly to rentacar companies, I bet they find car for you.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Good point. I wonder if there isn't an internet glitch of some sort... I'm going to try calling. I've also looked into craigslist (usually my last resort)--occasionally there are some private individuals renting cars. Anyone ever done that? I wonder if there are any generic car rental legal documents around...maybe I could bring something like that along and have both myself and the renter sign. Yeah, probably not a good idea...but I'm feeling more and more adventurous these days

Old 12-12-2008, 11:13 AM

Just wanted to add one more (completely unrelated) thought: I'm soooo excited to get the opportunity to visit hawaii...and for 2.5 weeks!!!! Since I can't share my excitement with friends (either too busy or not enough $ to travel...and are sick of hearing about hawaii, i'm sure ), I'm spewing my excited energy onto this forum

Ok. Done Back to work

Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
It's because all the tourists drove the Seabrings over the cliffs. They ran out.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,704,433 times
You could rent on Oahu and take the Super Ferry to and from Maui.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:57 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,900,976 times
The Mercedes Championship golf tournament at Kapalua is a major -- MAJOR -- event on Maui January 5-11. It's the first PGA event of each year, and it follows right on the heels of the Christmas/New Year's visitor crush, and in addition to the fans who come and rent cars, there is a throng of US and international media people, and many the golfers (who are provided transportation by M-B) bring large groups of friends and family (who are not provided transportation by M-B). PacificFlights's suggestion is a good one, but the ferry may be crowded, too, with people from Honolulu who haven't had that option for coming to the tournament before.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,271 times
On Maui if you dress like a local...perhaps get a fake tan will help, lol....you can hitch around in the beds of trucks fairly easily. My brother lives in Haiku, Maui and he hitches several times a week. Granted you'd have to a pretty adventurous person to be comfortable doing this...personally it was a blast hitching rides around the island.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM

Interesting...hitch hiking ...i've heard quit a bit about this mode of transportation in hawaii, but have never actually done this. I'm sure some of you are going to laugh at me for asking but...how does one actually hitch hike? Do you just stand on the side of the road? with a sign? How does the person driving know where you want to go? As you can tell, I'm quit new at this. And, what's the probability of getting kidknapped in Maui ? Depending on the percent, I might be willing to take the risk

Also, what do you mean when you say dress like the locals? How do the locals dress (females in their mid-20s in particular). Perhaps I need to go shopping to prepare for my hitchhiking adventures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui