Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM

8 posts, read 38,387 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the following for me.

I'm moving to Maui in June and I am wondering if anyone has an idea on what kind of experience and qualifications one would need in order to work as a crew member for one of the catamaran companies, for example; Teralani, Trilogy, Four Winds, Pacific Whale Foundation, etc.

Also does anyone know if they advertise the positions anywhere, Maui News, craigslist, etc. Or would cold calling or walking in their doors be a better bet?

Any insight helps. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 01:25 AM

9 posts, read 42,641 times
norweigan cruise lines operate there and hire on the spot at job fairs.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:09 AM

1 posts, read 16,495 times
how much an hour do you look for usauly as a deckhand?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGirl View Post
Hello! I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the following for me.

I'm moving to Maui in June and I am wondering if anyone has an idea on what kind of experience and qualifications one would need in order to work as a crew member for one of the catamaran companies, for example; Teralani, Trilogy, Four Winds, Pacific Whale Foundation, etc.

Also does anyone know if they advertise the positions anywhere, Maui News, craigslist, etc. Or would cold calling or walking in their doors be a better bet?

Any insight helps. Thanks!!
No can - local boys only.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
You have a much better chance of getting a job by walking in the door over here. Most prospective employers won't even talk to people who don't already live here because it would just take up all their time, so many people think they want to move here. The boats you mention are 12-month operations, and many of them retain crew for years and years (although there is a fair amount of movement between companies, I've noticed). You might have to work your way up to even be a deckhand -- there are even lowlier positions, believe it or not. There are also some seasonal boats (whalewatches in winter, parasailing the rest of the year, etc.) where it might be easier to break in to the business. I wouldn't waste time sending resumes and/or calling unless you know somebody at one of the companies. I also wouldn't count on the job paying enough to live on without some side work of some sort. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:50 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,272 times
Remember that tourism is WAY down and there might not be many available jobs. My friend works for a catamaran company here on Kauai and his hours have been cut severely b/c there are less tours to operate.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM

25 posts, read 159,564 times
Default Follow up to original post

Allow me to provide some follow up. That was me "Surfer Girl", now I am "Surfin Girl" I couldn't remember my password and had to set up a new account.

Anyhow, yes, I did get a job as a crew member on a boat. Not with any of the above mentioned companies, but with a tourism related boating venture nonetheless. I moved over here this summer, I never intended to look for a job before I moved as I knew the kind of work I was looking for would not hire me before I was on the island. Luckily I have family here and was able to move first, then look for a job. Within a month of moving here (it took me a couple weeks to even begin looking for work, but I already said I was lucky) I had a job on a boat with zero experience. All I did was call in response to an ad in The Maui News. I went in for an interview, had a trial on the boat and was hired. It's the best job I ever had. No, the money isn't good and with tourism being so low, business is very slow. But I found the job I was looking for with zero experience and it wasn't by chance or by knowing someone. I responded to a want ad in the paper.

Now having worked in the industry for only a few months I can say that yes, many companies do retain their employees for many years. But I would not say that this is a local boys only industry. I would say it's quite the opposite, I've only met one "local boy" who works in the industry and I've met quite a few people who work on the boats out here since everyone knows everyone. Many people are like me and have recently moved out here and others have been here for years, but originated somewhere on the mainland.

I just wanted to share my story for people who, like me, were hoping to come out here and make a career change. You don't always have to know someone here, although it certainly does help, but it's not mandatory.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 AM

Congratulations and welcome to Maui, SurfinGirl. Albeit a bit late. Sorry to have dredged up an old post -- I didn't note the original date. I've actually asked C-D whether there isn't a way to flag or color code old posts that float up because they're usually not very helpful. In this case, however, it was great to hear things turned out well for you.

I was talking to a friend, a longtime Gemini crew member, a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. He said everybody's numbers were down, but that they're looking forward to whale-watch season and hopeful things will turn around. There've been some beautiful days to be out there lately. Wish I could go this morning.

Thanks again for the update -- it's nice for some of these stories to have happy endings.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,457 times
The icon, just left of the thread title is a "Revived Old Thread" icon as seen in the 1st, 4th and sixth thread in this screen shot.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the info on old threads. I'd read that there was an icon, but I *swear* I have never seen it until you posted the screen capture. Doesn't it also disappear after 24 hours or something? I seem to remember that the icon has a limited lifetime which -- when there are several time zones involved -- may explain why many of us aren't familiar with it.

Mahalo for the clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui