Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 6,227 times

Advertisements

I have been reading through all these forums and this really sounds repetitive I am sure but I wanted to get some perspectives from people that live in Hawaii about the situation. I am planning my move to Hawaii and looking at Maui. I actually lived on Oahu for about 5 years back in the 90's. I have missed it tremendously. Though I lived there as a teenager I did go to school and work so I did have a good idea of what life was in Hawaii and not just Hawaii fever from a vacation or childhood dreams. My wife and kids had a vacation there last year and all the familiar feeling came back and at that moment I realized I wanted to come back. I have family that lives on Oahu so that is another reason why I want to come back.

I am not super concerned about housing or shipping cars or household items so I really don't need advice on those. I know housing is expensive, I know gas and food is expensive and I know trying to ship a car or furniture is expensive.

Here is what I would like to know though.

First I work in IT and I have read that IT jobs though not abundant on Maui are around at times. But based on research I cannot find IT service shops for local business or residents. Are there any IT companies that service business and residents on Maui. I currently own a small IT shop were I live and would like to continue that path upon moving. I am sure at first I will have to find other means of work until business picks up, but I want to know if there is competition in this area.

Second we have 2 children. Are there private schools on Maui and how are the public schools.

We want to be back in Hawaii to be closer to some family, we enjoy the outdoors and the beach. We really don't live a high materialistic lifestyle so yes it is more expensive, but put a surfboard or a paddleboard under us and we are in heaven.

Thanks for you input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM

forgot to mention that we have looked at both Maui and the big island. I have spent a lot of time on both and could call either home. I know it would be easier to go to Oahu, but trying to avoid it. But would be in consideration to get to the islands. May be a little easier to make a move to on of the other islands if I already live on Oahu.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
My impression is that the IT jobs in Hawaii are vastly underpaid. This may not be the case with all IT jobs there. Quite a few people that live in Hawaii and work in IT, work remotely from some other state that pays better. I did hear that IT work for Maui County paid about $32K, which is less than 1/2 what you could get elsewhere. Maybe there are IT jobs that pay better than that in Hawaii. I haven't seen them yet. Depending on what you do in IT, you could make 3 or 4 times that amount on the mainland.

I don't think I could work remotely in Hawaii on a permanent basis where I work, although I probably could work remotely for several weeks to extend a vacation for a couple months.

I suspect that most of the local IT jobs are in Oahu. I only have 6 years left where I work now, so it isn't worth it for me to consider finding an IT job in Hawaii.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Here is an anecdote - I work from my house in Haiku for a Seattle software company. Twice my laptop has gone toes-up on me but my company has a contract with someone for repairing employees machines who are working off-site. So twice someone came out to my house and repaired the laptop. I got to talking with the guy and basically he had his own little business of on-demand help desk sort of stuff and he was making around $75/hour doing that. He was based on Maui but would fly out to the BI or the smaller islands sometimes. Sounded pretty nice to me.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM

That basically what I am looking to do. I would not mind going between the islands either if it meant more business. But yes I am looking to start something similar with home Pc repair and also IT support for local business.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:47 AM

But honestly I would do about anything to pay the bills so I could come back home. Well I say home even though I only lived on Oahu for 4 years. But I always call Hawaii home.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
There is a high-tech "park" in Maui that has a lot of IT defense-related jobs. UH is losing the contract to supply the labor, but it employs a good number of people, at mainland wages. I don't recall what company will be getting the new contract.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 PM

337 posts, read 613,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
There is a high-tech "park" in Maui that has a lot of IT defense-related jobs. UH is losing the contract to supply the labor, but it employs a good number of people, at mainland wages. I don't recall what company will be getting the new contract.
I have a few friends working in there under those contracts, but they all have security clearance. So pretty much even if a new company comes in to take over, they'll pick up the current employees since they probably don't want to spend 100k per new person on top secret or above clearance. The current open positions can be found on the RCUH site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui