Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 21,792 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I will be relocating to MA with our 2 sons (toddler/infant). We are not terribly concerned about schools because when they are ready our children will probably be attending a private school.
We have lived in extremely urban areas and currently live in a very rural area in the mountains...so we are adaptable!
We are looking for somewhere to rent that is close enough to North Dartmouth (10miles max, the closer the better!).
Our main concerns are a safe area where we I can feel comfortable walking around outside with the children and accessibility--things to do with the kids, parks, museums, beaches, etc. We prefer not to live in a very industrial area of town.
I've read mixed reviews on New Bedford and would just like some more feedback on it.
We would love to be able to rent a 2-3bedroom home/apartment for under a 1,000 and New Bedford seems the only place that really is offering this. (Also, we are taking our 2 dogs and 2 cats with us and NB seems to be the most pet friendly....?)
Fairhaven seems quaint too from what I have read, any suggestions?
Also, is there anywhere to look besides craigslist?
THANK YOU SOOO Much for any advice you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Hi, and an early welcome to Massachusetts.

Most of the reviews of New Bedford are "mixed" because, well, the city itself is mixed. It's an old port city that also had a large industrial workforce that has largely been erased. "Down on its luck" is a good way to describe much of New Bedford. It hit rock bottom during the 80s and 90s when crime was higher (relatively speaking... crime in MA and New England is generally lower than the rest of the country) as was unemployment. Today it's in a bit of an upswing and undergoing a bit of a revitalization/ gentrification but it's still early on in that process which is why reviews are mixed and will continue to be (reputations are hard to change). There are some great neighborhoods and some neighborhoods you may want to avoid, but nothing that is alarmingly dangerous. The two most difficult parts about living in New Bedford are finding work and putting a kid through public schools (they're terrible in the city). You've already got those two things taken care of. I've always felt that if you DO have work and don't have to worry about schools, New Bedford is very livable as it's chalk full of history, restaurants, entertainment, etc and it's located in a pretty area on the coast.

It's good that you are adaptable. That will make any move easier. My question to you would be, "what do you prefer?" Would you rather live in an urban area, a rural one, or something more suburban? Within 10 miles of North Dartmouth, you really have all three. New Bedford has some nice urban neighborhoods even though it's not a "huge" city. Dartmouth and Fairhaven as well as Westport (just west of Dartmouth) have both new and older suburban neighborhoods as well as large expanses of, quite beautiful, rural land. For under $1,000 you should be able to get 2 bedrooms in just about any of those communities.

I would center your search on the following communities: Dartmouth (both North and South, it's a large town), Fairhaven, New Bedford and Westport. These communities are going to be the closest to work.

Dartmouth: Dartmouth is a diverse town in terms of its setup. It's very spread out (I believe it's one of the 3 largest towns in MA geographically). Along I-195 and Route 6 (the Northern part of town) you have a relatively large retail area centered around the North Dartmouth Mall. Lots of box stores along Route 6 which is good for shopping. The neighborhoods along this stretch are mostly suburban. As you get closer to the New Bedford line, the density of these neighborhoods increases to almost urban levels. South of Route 6 towards the water, it gets rural. Lots of rolling countryside (very scenic) with ocean views... not easy to find that in Massachusetts anymore. It's probably difficult to find rentals here. There are a LOT of pricey homes in Dartmouth along the water. A coworker of mine used to babysit Tea Leoni (actress) and David Duchovney's (of X-files fame) kids who have a home on the water there. If you can find a rental there, the Padanaram Village area of South Dartmouth is beautiful. Still, most rentals will be in the North Dartmouth area along Route 6. Public schools in Dartmouth are very good, so you can keep that option open if you want. Demarest Lloyd State Park is a gem in Dartmouth. It's a gorgeous beach that has very shallow water (at all tides) making it perfect for bringing younger kids.

Westport: Westport is similar to, but a little quieter than Dartmouth. It has some retail (not nearly as much) along Route 6 in the Northern part of town. The Southern portion is rural like Dartmouth with rolling countryside along a meandering river. The river makes its way down to Westport Harbor (beautiful) before emptying out into the ocean (Buzzards Bay). There are two villages on the harbor. Acoaxet and Westport Point. Acoaxet is part of Westport, but you actually have to go through a chunk of Rhode Island to get there from anywhere else in town. It's charming, but much further than the 10 miles you want to be from work. Wesport Point is beautiful, but I think the rental selection is mostly seasonal, you may want to check that out. It's right near Horseneck Beach and Gooseberry Island which are busy in the summer. Westport residents have the benefit of having a great "town beach" for their use only. It's on the same stretch of beach as Horseneck (the state beach) but it's about a mile further down (with a separate parking lot for residents only) which means they get the same beach without the crowds. It's a gem. Rentals in Westport may be hard to come by, but it's a great place if you can find one. Schools aren't great in Westport so private would be the way to go (there are plenty of local options).

Fairhaven:You've already mentioned Fairhaven as being quaint and charming. It is all that. Fairhaven is a little more built up than Dartmouth or Westport as it shares its harbor with New Bedford. The historic town center of Fairhaven is walkable and has a good number of nice little shops and restaurants. The architecture is gorgeous too. Fort Phoenix is a great park on the water just outside of the town center. Fairhaven also has a nice, long bike trail. Along Route 6 you have plenty of box stores and grocery shopping options. A little bit further from the historic town center is the Sconticut Neck area. Sconticut Neck is a long peninsula which means most places in that area have water views or at least are a short walk to the water. Just off of Sconticut Neck is West Island. It's connected to Sconticut Neck by a causeway. West Island is beautiful and has its own, very attractive, beach. You should be able to find plenty of rentals in the Sconticut Neck section of Fairhaven and in the center of town (also known as "Oxford"). I'm not so sure about West Island, but you may be able to find something. Fairhaven's public schools are pretty good too.

New Bedford: You've already pointed out the mixed reviews. As I said before, the city is making strides towards improving, but it's still a city with some real problems (mostly, unemployment and education and pockets of isolated crime). You've essentially avoided those things by having a job locked up (I'm assuming that's why you're moving?) and considering private schools. Still, there are some neighborhoods I would recommend above others. If you don't mind urban living, check out the Whaling District and Downtown area. This area is the crown jewel of the city. The Whaling District is a National Historic Park and is 13 blocks of cobblestone streets and quaint shops, galleries, restaurants, etc. It's centered around the New Bedford Whaling Museum and related historic structures. Herman Melville lived in New Bedford and traveled aboard a New Bedford Whale Boat. He wrote his novel, Moby Dick, based on those experiences and many of the city's landmarks are described in the book. Fredrick Douglass also made New Bedford his home. I know there are rentals in and around the Whaling District in your price range. You may enjoy it. The other half of downtown (along Union, Purchase, Pleasant, and Sixth Streets) is quite nice too. Lots of restaurants and shops to check out and plenty of rentals available. In addition to the Whaling Museum, there is a nice Art Museum and Ocean Explorium as well as UMass Dartmouth's College of Art among other galleries. There's a great Theater and an excellent symphony there too. The downtown area hosts a number of well-attended festivals and events.

In addition to Downtown, New Bedford I'd look at the County Street and Hawthorn Street historic districts. These are two very beautiful old neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and historic homes (many are now condos and rentals). They're both very safe neighborhoods. Just North of Downtown you have the Clasky Common area which is also nice. The area around Buttonwood Park is nice too. It's more suburban, and very safe. The park itself is a great asset. It was designed by the same guy who designed NYC's Central Park (Fredrick Law Olmstead) and it has a great little zoo that your kids will enjoy.

I would urge you to avoid the area within a few blocks of the United Front Homes housing project (you can see it on google maps). This is the largest and most notorious housing project in the city. It's currently being rebuilt and cleaned up, but it's still not an area I would want to raise kids around. Avoid the area along Front Street/Bellville Avenue in the North End (just North of I-195). This area isn't SO bad, but it's not very attractive and there are sometimes gang related crimes logged there. DO check out Acushnet Avenue in the North End for some great international food shopping sometime... it's home to an abundance of Portuguese, Guatemalan, etc restaurants, shops and other establishments. I just wouldn't LIVE there. Finally, I'd avoid the section of Brock Avenue in New Bedford's South End that's North of Hazelwood Park. The South End will put you further from work than you want to be anyway, but this section of town can be rough around the edges.

As far as rental searching goes, South Coast Craigslist is the best bet. It's worth noting that while rentals advertised as "Far North" in New Bedford are in a nice suburban area, they're a hike from North Dartmouth. Also, check out the New Bedford Standard Times website's classified section as they have rental listings. Rent.com will pull up listings from management companies and apartment complexes. The Fall River Herald News may have some rental listings on the Westport side of your search.

If you have the opportunity to get up and visit before you rent, I'd take it. I know it's not always possible to do that, but there's no better way to get a feel for the area. Hopefully this info helps a bit. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM

Wow!!!!! Thank you sooooo much for all the information! I really appreciate you taking the time out to fill me in! I hope all the people in MA are as generous as you ;-)

Urban or Rural would be my preference. Suburban is ok too. To be honest with you, as long as I have access to nature while living in the city and vice versa, I think I should be a very happy camper.
It doesn't seem like there is really anything in the newspapers and very limited amounts on craigslist. We will def. go check out places before signing onto a contract.
New Bedford sounds kind of charming. So basically if I am looking in New Bedford stick with downtown and the whaling district? Are the rentals there mainly condos? b/c that doesn't work for us, we have 2 medium sized dogs. That area is safe and walkable and very accessible though, correct? You also mentioned County Street and Hawthorn Street, are there any areas nearby there to steer clear of?
Are the projects really concentrated to one area in New Bedford? And that is the majority of the crime?
And fairhaven is ok all round? Is all the city pretty walkable?

What about Dartmouth? I heard some people do not like the South area, is this because it is close to New Bedford? Westport would be fantastic, but I only found a couple year round rentals.
It'd be nice to be close to a walkable area--e.g. parks, restaurants, museums, etc. From your post I am thinking our best bet is going to be Fairhaven or New Bedford?

What about Fall River? Is that terribly far? Any nice areas? I heard a lot of mixed feelings about that one too. It seems more industrialish to me, is that correct?

THANKS SOOOOOO much for your help!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM

You're welcome. I lived in the area for a while and my family still does so I'm pretty familiar with it. Even though the Dartmouth/New Bedford area is only 40-50 miles from Boston, the people up here act like it's a world away.

New Bedford has its charming spots. Downtown and those historic districts and the park are a few of them. I think you'll see that it's a city with some problems, but a lot of potential and is starting to turn around. There are some ugly neighborhoods, some old mill complexes (some have actually been turned into nice apartments... The Lofts at Wamsutta are nice, but not good for dogs) and some pockets of crime. Unemployment is high which means there's noticeable poverty in areas. You may be surprised at the difference between some of the wealth in places like South Dartmouth and some of the poverty just a few miles away in New Bedford. It's not a bad city, and there's a LOT to see and do, but it's not wonderful... yet, anyway.

I went into google maps and quickly drew up a "guidline" map of good and bad areas to look for rentals in the city itself. Red means "bad," Blue means "good." If you click on a colored area, there's a little description. It's hardly official as I just drew it up in 5 minutes, but it can't hurt to look at. HERE is the map I made.

Downtown New Bedford and the Whaling District are essentially the same area. The Whaling District is just part of the larger "Downtown" area. Yes, that area is perfectly safe to walk at all hours of the day and it's very pretty. The one thing I will mention is that because of a decent sized area college, there are a solid number of bars in the downtown area and you do have the activity associated with bars. It's not a dangerous crowd at all (mostly college aged kids and young professionals), but they can get loud at 2am which can really get on some peoples nerves. I'm sure that with a toddler and infant, every second of sleep they get counts. If you look in that area, take note of where the bars are so you don't have parties outside your window at 2am on Friday and Saturday.

The County Street and Hawthorn Street areas I mentioned are very much safe. New Bedford's not the type of city where you're walking down a lovely street and then just turn a corner into an awful neighborhood. You can generally see where it starts to slide off a bit; so no, there's nothing RIGHT next to those areas to worry about really. There is the United Front homes Project and a smaller one along Route 6 (Kempton St.) that's not TOO far from those areas, but not close enough to be a problem at all.

Fairhaven is very safe all around. It's not really a "city," it just has a nice town center. Closest to that town center it's very walkable and historic. As you get away from that, it becomes more of the modern suburb (and even rural in parts). There is nowhere in Fairhaven to avoid at all, though some parts (downtown/Oxford) are prettier than others (some of the "newer" suburban neighborhoods). There's actually a really nice bike trail that goes through the center of town. Fairhaven really is an attractive, charming community.

I have to ask, what do you mean by, "Condos?" Do you need a single-family home or can you live in a smaller multi-unit building? Most rentals you'll find are going to be units in a mult-unit building. I don't know if you'll be able to find a small single-family house (in a desirable area) within your budget. You may, but I'm not so sure. Condo "complexes" are VERY uncommon in New England in general (are you from New England, by the way?). Most rentals you'll find are in smaller (sometimes as few as 2 units) privately owned buildings and their policies on pets will all vary depending on the landlord. From my searches it seems that about 50% accept pets. If it doesn't say in the ad, it would be worth emailing the poster and asking.

I'm surprised you've heard anything bad about South Dartmouth? South Dartmouth is actually very nice. It's full of seasonal homes (most of them very pricey) and great beaches. Padanaram Village in South Dartmouth is only a mile from the New Bedford line, but it's very popular and relatively exclusive. If you can find a rental in that section of town, I'd tell you to take it in a heartbeat. It's very walkable, attractive and there's a good deal to do over there. Other parts of South Dartmouth are more rural, but no less beautiful. The only part that's not very attractive is on Dartmouth St. RIGHT on the New Bedford line. It's not dangerous at all, just not so pretty.

Fall River's not far at all from North Dartmouth. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from most of the city to most of N. Dartmouth. Fall River is mostly pretty ugly. It was built as an industrial city and since the industry has left, it's sort of a shell. The waterfront (heritage park) area is nice and the Highlands neighborhood is actually very attractive, but there's not much else there. Downtown Fall River is sort of a deadzone with very little going on. You can do better closer to North Dartmouth. I'd only even consider looking at places in the Highlands neighborhood of Fall River for your situation and that's only if you can't find something better, closer.

From your two posts, I'd be inclined to tell you to focus your search on Fairhaven (the whole town is fine) primarily and then the Buttonwood Park, Hawthorn St. and County Street areas of New Bedford next (Padanaram in Dartmouth if you can find anything). Downtown New Bedford is very nice and you'll love the museums, shops, restaurants and galleries there. The colonial architecture and cobblestone streets make parts of that area look like 1800s London. Still, I think with two kids and two dogs, it may be a bit much. The noise can be a pain and I don't know how the dogs would adapt. Most of the rentals right there are "lofts" which probably isn't a good fit for you. As far as Downtown New Bedford goes, it's probably a case by case scenario... if you can find a unit that's a few blocks from the bars and not a loft, you may have a good place on your hands. It's worth noting that you can walk quite easily from the Hawthorn and County Street areas to downtown.

Hope that helps a little more!

Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Still stumped!

Loved the map! :-) Thanks so much. That was really helpful. Its really hard to gain a clear idea of things via internet.
We love Fairhaven, but we are having trouble finding a rental. Seems there are a lot of renters out there and landlords have lots of people to chose from. Since we have animals...why bother is my guess. Also, our dogs are german shepherd mixes, which we are finding are a huge no no on landlord insurance policies. Also seems a lot of places only rent Sept-May, and we need year round. Dartmouth, we are finding the same situation--snatched up quickly. And New Bedford, no luck with the types of dogs we have.
I think we may have to check out a few properties in Fall River. Probably because it is a less desirable area, they seem to willingly accept our pets. Of course none of the landlords who have replied have been in the areas you mentioned. Is Fall River just ugly? Or is it also dangerous/unsafe? Would I be able to walk a mile or two to their parks/libraries/etc? Or its not that kind of place where moms and little ones walk? Are there any bike paths there? Could you bike into the city of Dartmouth, or its not like that? I noticed a few postings said the properties had alarm systems and/or accepted section 8. Are there a lot of robberies? We don't mind working class, we just mind crime.
My husband will go out there in a couple weeks and try all of Fairhaven and Dartmouth/New Bedford. If no luck, he's going to check out Fall River.
I just can't wait until we know the area and we buy our own property and don't have to deal with the headache of renting!

Thanks again for your help!

& BTW We are both originally east coasters

Old 05-24-2010, 08:49 PM

Fairhaven is great. Sort of a hidden gem in MA.

The big dogs may be an issue in apartment complexes and individual units, especially if landlords haven't met them. A lot of them are willing to be a bit more flexible if they can see the pet in person. It's nothing personal, it's just that most people will say, "Rufus is such a good dog!" regardless of how truthful that really is (especially if they're in a pinch).

The rentals from Sept-May are generally the vacation homes. They ask a premium for the same rental (sometimes double the winter rate) from June-August. This is perfect because college kids love a 9 month lease and summer renters want to get the hell out once it starts cooling off. There are an abundance of these. I'm sure you've probably tried it, but can it hurt to ask if they'd be willing to negotiate for 12 months? It'll probably make the cost too high, but it may be worth a shot.

Fall River is... meh. There are pockets of everything you've mentioned (ugly, unsafe, and safe with parks/libraries, etc). It's a run-down mill town with the caveat that it's in a great coastal location (meaning nice waterfront area and some attractive vistas). I'd prefer it by a long shot to some of the rust belt cities in PA, Ohio, MA (i.e. Lawrence, Fitchburg, etc), Michigan, etc. Still, it's hardly wonderful.

The good news is that Fall River isn't ALL bad. In fact, the Highlands area (really, two neighborhoods... Upper and Lower Highlands) is a neighborhood that is clean, attractive (very historic) AND safe. All the money from the peak of industry had to go somewhere and this neighborhood is the spot. Since you enjoyed my last high-tech google map, I'll give you another. THIS map displays both the Upper and Lower Highlands neighborhoods. The Lower Highlands is in Red and the Upper Highlands is in blue.

Despite the name, these two neighborhoods are different. The Upper Highlands is relatively newer (still many homes from the early 1900s) while the Lower Highlands is a bit more historic with much older architecture. The Lower Highlands is still semi-suburban (sort of like those old Street-Car suburbs) while the Upper Highlands is just plain suburban (many 1950s style homes). The Lower Highlands abuts the downtown area (which isn't all that exciting, but it isn't unsafe) which has a handful of restaurants and a beautiful public Library. You can also safely walk to Battleship Cove, Heritage State Park (which has a lengthy boardwalk along the water to a replica Iwo Jima memorial and Bicentennial Park) and North Park (designed by Fredrick Law Olmstead). The Upper Highlands is set around North Park and is also very safe and walkable. The neighborhoods that surround both Highlands neighborhoods aren't necessarily beautiful, but they're not unsafe. You will never make a wrong turn and end up in the "ghetto" if you live in either Highlands neighborhood. The majority of the dangerous neighborhoods in Fall River are in the South End (South of I-195 if you're looking at the map) even though the Flint Village (Pleasant St. at Eastern Avenue) isn't wonderful either. I think you'd like the Lower Highlands better and it just so happens that that's where most of the rentals are.

What I don't have in that map (made it a while back) is a section of Fall River along North Main Street from exit 8 off of Route 24 all the way up to the Freetown line. That section has countless new apartments in a safe, suburban, attractive setting. They're generally managed complexes, but they're nice. I'd give it a look. It's just a little ways north of the Upper Highlands where Route 24 meets 79 (along North Main Street). If you look at a rental site like Rent.com, the majority of the listings are in this area. Again, it's safe, somewhat attractive (get a river view unit if possible) and accessible. I think some of the properties are "Four Winds," "South Coast Landings," "River Grove Apartments," etc. I'd be surprised if robberies were frequent in that area.

As far as Biking goes, it's hit or miss. Obviously, you need to stay off the highways (24, 79, 140 and 195). Route 6 through Dartmouth and Westport isn't fun as speed limits are as high as 55 in spots and it's 4 lanes of traffic. Fall River and New Bedford are behind the times (to put it mildly) when it comes to bike paths although they're working on improving that. Still, Fairhaven has a GREAT bike trail (used to be an old railroad) and the city streets in Fall River and New Bedford (specifically in those neighborhoods I suggested) are pretty good as there are often quieter streets running parallel with the primary ones. Whether you could bike to work would really depend on where you end up living and where you work. Fall River to Dartmouth isn't bad on a nice day (I used to do Assonet- Westport Beaches all the time), but it can be a bit much if it's too hot or too cold. While the area isn't unfriendly to bikes (plenty of people ride everywhere), it's not exactly great either. Fall River may be building a new bike trail. I think New Bedford is too.

Just for the hell of it, here is the link to UMass Dartmouth's off campus housing resource. They may have information you couldn't find on craigslist or another source. A lot of landlords just post the ads to UMass as the stream of students is constant. Still, if given the opportunity, the chance at locking in a working family is too hard to pass up. I can't imagine that your German Shepards are as messy or damaging to the apartments as some college students. I think those landlords would jump at the opportunity to have you. Just because too much info is never a problem, here is the same resource but for Roger Williams University in Bristol, RI. Bristol would work great for you (one of my favorite towns in New England) if you were willing to drive 20 miles instead of 10; but even if you're not, they do list some MA rentals (Tiverton, RI would work for your distance too). I'll just add that there are no "student ghettos" anywhere around this area, so don't worry about being stuck with college kids on all sides of you.

I understand how frustrating in must be to not know the area. There are some great opportunities for people looking to buy in that region (oceanfront for under 500k) but you're making the right move by renting to get a better feel of the area first. Seeing as you've lived on the East Coast before, you may adjust better.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
I am actually looking around in the same area MovingtoDartmouth. If you pm me your email address, I can forward a lot of properties to you that may be what you are looking for. LRFOX has given me some great advice and some great links that have helped me tremendously. Talking to oddles and oodles of relators, property managers and self renters. I have some that should work for your families budget and location

Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm surprised you've heard anything bad about South Dartmouth? South Dartmouth is actually very nice. It's full of seasonal homes (most of them very pricey) and great beaches. Padanaram Village in South Dartmouth is only a mile from the New Bedford line, but it's very popular and relatively exclusive. If you can find a rental in that section of town, I'd tell you to take it in a heartbeat. It's very walkable, attractive and there's a good deal to do over there. Other parts of South Dartmouth are more rural, but no less beautiful. The only part that's not very attractive is on Dartmouth St. RIGHT on the New Bedford line. It's not dangerous at all, just not so pretty.
You'll hear two negative things about South Dartmouth and Padanaram.

You'll hear a lot of negative class envy comments. The perception is that everyone who lives there is Thurston Howell III with a staff of servants drawn from the unwashed masses of New Bedford. The gated summer communities at Nonquitt, Salter's Point, and Mishaum Point certainly create that perception. I can probably hit the Padanaram School with a 5 iron from my yard. My neighbors on my little lane are a retired electric company employee and a retired gas company employee. There are some affluent people in South Dartmouth, particularly on the waterfront and in the gated summer communities, but most of the housing is middle/upper middle class. It's a desirable place to live so it's expensive by local standards. If you have a metro-Boston or metro-NYC frame of reference, it looks dirt cheap for a waterfront yachting town. The local economy isn't strong enough to push housing prices higher.

You'll hear "they wrecked Padanaram". The village used to be a full service place with things you'd expect like a pharmacy, a hardware store, a dry cleaner, a liquor store, a donut shop, a fish market, a small grocery store, a barber, an inexpensive greasy spoon breakfast/lunch place, and several bar/restaurant options. As property values and rents soared, those kinds of businesses were chased out. The realtors who could afford the high rents or could afford to buy the properties moved in. Any business applying for a liquor license faced mortal combat with their residential abutters who had bought knowing they had a bar/restaurant across the street. The town adopted a parking requirement that killed off many business proposals. Over the next 30 years, you can expect a number of the buildings to be torn down and replaced with luxury waterfront/water view condos. It's never going to go back to the working waterfront village it was 50 years ago but there is enough summer community affluence to support some upscale businesses.

I walk the length of Dartmouth Street into New Bedford fairly frequently. Yep. Perfectly safe even walking by the LBJ-era housing project in New Bedford on the city line. It's ugly because it needs buried power/telephone/cable and it needs trees lining both sides of the street. The town just reconstructed the sidewalks and resurfaced Dartmouth Street and it's very unfortunate that they didn't spend the extra money to do it right.

I grew up in the town, moved away for my whole adult life, and moved back 5 years ago. Other than the decay of Padanaram Village, the thing I notice the most is that the extra 10,000+ people, the enlargement of UMass-Dartmouth, and "mall hell" create a traffic problem. At the work and school usual rush hour times, it can be painful crossing Route 6 at Brownell Avenue, Slocum Road, Tucker Road, and Old Westport Road. They're fixing the Rt 140/Brownell Ave crossing now. Tucker Road/Hathaway Road is next. It's still going to be an issue. Nobody thought about setting aside land for future overpasses back around 1970 when Route 140, the Mall, and UMass Dartmouth all went in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts