Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,805 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Worcester for 3 months for work and my company has me staying downtown at the Skymark Towers. I have 2 dogs and will be getting home at 3am from work....can anyone tell me if this is a decent area to live in since I will be walking my dogs around the area late at night and if there are any parks nearby or areas to walk the dogs around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:52 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,032 times
It's close to downtown, so you are near the Common

It's close to Chandler St., go south of that on Main and you enter "Main South" - home to several housing projects and one of the least desirable neighborhoods in the city.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,512 times
I, personally, would wait until the sun comes up to walk dogs in that neighborhood. I agree with the previous poster as it is close to one of the worst in the city. ANy chance of getting another apt?

Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 AM

13 posts, read 40,813 times
I live a couple blocks away from where you are going to be and walk up to the White Hen all the time. Mostly downtown is just DEAD late at night. Don't go north on Austin or south on Main. I wouldn't go into the Common either late night but that is just street smarts.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,512 times
Gabe 72--maybe this is my age showing, but I think there is a big difference between walking just up the block to White Hen on Main than walking at least a quarter of a mile away at the other apartments. Have you walked that section on Main late at night? Also, I hate to be sexist but if mlayb48 is a woman, I would definitely say don't do it and do not stay at these apts.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:03 AM

88 posts, read 233,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitt View Post
Gabe 72--maybe this is my age showing, but I think there is a big difference between walking just up the block to White Hen on Main than walking at least a quarter of a mile away at the other apartments. Have you walked that section on Main late at night? Also, I hate to be sexist but if mlayb48 is a woman, I would definitely say don't do it and do not stay at these apts.
Downtown is safe. Period. Normal city street smarts apply.

I have said many times that it's like the old 80's cocaine commercial. Remember the one? "I work more, so I can make more money, so i can buy more cocaine, so I can work more, so I can make more money, so I can buy more cocaine...."

People don't come downtown, because it feels unsafe, because there is no one here, because people don't come downtown, because it feels unsafe, because there is no one here....

If mlayb48 is even asking if it is ok to walk the dog at 3am I am thinking this is a person who is familiar with city living. If not then I would not only not advise living in downtown Worcester, but not living in the downtown of any American city because overall we all know no matter who you are, walking the dog at 3am in any downtown is not a good idea unless you are prepared to deal with strange creepiness and nefarious characters walking around because that is who is out at 3am in most American cities.

No?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:21 AM

29 posts, read 87,944 times
yea im from worcester and im all about it. i'm always advocating for the city as a whole, as most of it is beautiful, vibrant and growing...but that particular neighborhood, particularly that block, is not very desirable. you have kirsh liquors which is right on the corner that cashes checks and is frequently loitered by sketchy people. you have the pip shelter, a 'wet' shelter for homeless people that i know is scheduled to close but not sure of the exact date. the rmv is right across the street which doesn't exactly attract the prettiest group of people for some reason. anyway living in that tower you should have so pretty nice views of the surrounding area, but that being really the entry block into the city's infamous 'main south' neighborhood, i wouldn't walk my dogs around there past 9 pm.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,805 times
thanks for all the info....just got set up in an apartment in Shrewsbury

Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Great on Shrewsbury!
I assume you need to walk dogs at 3a because they will have been inside while you're at work, and can't wait until morning.
A lot of people are setting up dog walking services for people who are at work. Maybe you could find someone in Shrewsbury to take them out later in the evening or so.
Best wishes on your stay here, and kudos for considering your pets so well.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayb48 View Post
thanks for all the info....just got set up in an apartment in Shrewsbury
How hard is it to get a rental in Shrewsbury? We're looking at moving there (if jobs come through). We'd need a 2 bedroom. Are there dog friendly places?
I'd be interested in the short term, too, in case we didn't like the area or complex.

Would you mind replying when you had a chance? Thanks very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts