Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 14,944 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I reside currently in New Brunswick,NJ. I got a new job at Worcester,MA. I am looking for towns around Worcester, as I dont want to live in worcester.

I guess some good town within 15 miles is what I am looking for....

Also, can you guys suggest sme town towards west side, as I have friends living in West Springfield, MA,so I would like to visit them during weekdays sometimes....

So basically some suggestions for cities between west springfield & worcester would be great!!

Thanks......

~Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 AM

735 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Hi Amy,

To be honest, there really isn't much between Worcester and Springfield- lots of small towns, but maybe that is what you are looking for?

Just to play devil's advocate- if you wanted more things to do and slightly closer to Boston, you might consider the Westborough, Southborough, Hopkinton, Ashland areas. Close to Rt9, the Pike and plenty of shopping. There are actually some very nice rental communities in Westborough that I have seen...

West of Worcester are many small New England towns. Some are very sleepy......

It really depends on what your needs are beyond being able to commute to W. Springfield- which won't be that difficult headed on the Pike west....

Old 11-24-2007, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 30,506 times
Default Suggestion for town near Worcester: Berlin MA

Hi Amy!

Well, I'm a former NYer, happily transplanted to MA. I don't know anything about towns west of MA, but I will be moving to Berlin, MA, next year into a cohousing community, Sawyer Hill Ecovillage, which is in construction now. Berlin is, as it happens, 15 miles away from Worcester, close to Rt 290 (as well as 495).

If you've ever lived in a small town before (I have, in Western PA), it can be hard to make connections with folks easily; cohousing is a great solution for that. There's lots of folks just a walk away from your home who actually want to know (or are already friends with) their neighbors, and common facilities for socializing, exercise, hobbies, etc. I know at least one of my future neighbors works in Worcester, so you might carpool together. I personally work in a university in Cambridge MA right now, but I may look for work in Worcester or towns between 495 and the metro area after I move. BTW, are you in academia, by any chance? Since I recall New Brunswick has a large university, and Worcester, has several...

BTW, cohousing is rarely sold through a realtor, so you won't find them in the MLS.

Ecovillager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystica View Post
Hello Everyone,

I reside currently in New Brunswick,NJ. I got a new job at Worcester,MA. I am looking for towns around Worcester, as I dont want to live in worcester.

I guess some good town within 15 miles is what I am looking for....

Also, can you guys suggest sme town towards west side, as I have friends living in West Springfield, MA,so I would like to visit them during weekdays sometimes....

So basically some suggestions for cities between west springfield & worcester would be great!!

Thanks......

~Amy

Old 11-24-2007, 03:38 PM

967 posts, read 4,787,888 times
Hi Amy, I'd love if you would share feedback on how you like the Ecovillage once you move there. I read about this awhile back and was very curious about the experience. If I recall it is designed with some green features, is that right?

Berlin is a really nice little town. It's probably too quiet for some people but I find it lovely and hope you enjoy it there.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Thank you guys....
I am not in the academia

Old 11-26-2007, 10:08 PM

7 posts, read 30,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
Hi Amy, I'd love if you would share feedback on how you like the Ecovillage once you move there. I read about this awhile back and was very curious about the experience. If I recall it is designed with some green features, is that right?

Berlin is a really nice little town. It's probably too quiet for some people but I find it lovely and hope you enjoy it there.
Hi ScarletFire,

I'm not Amy (she's the one considering the move from NJ), but I can assure you there'll be plenty for me to do in the ecovillage. Our community is multigenerational, and we have lots of very active hobbyists into music, theater, dance, games, crafts, exercise, gardening, woodworking, etc. There's a movie theater nearby, too--not too many small towns can say that these days!

You're right, we are building "greener"--there are actually two communities sharing the land, with different design choices. One community will have a wood pellet stove in its common house, and the individual homes will have pellet stoves as an option. We're using sustainable and recycled materials as much as possible, low/no-VOC paints & carpets, super-insulated walls, etc.

If you'd like to actually tour some cohousing communities, there are bus tours given through cohousing.org usually twice a year. I've seen about 5 or 6 communities, urban, suburban and rural, in MA, and while they have some broad principles in common, they are also each unique.

A great book to check out on the experience is "Reinventing Community", a collection of different cohousers' experiences with building and living in these villages.

Ecovillager

Old 11-28-2007, 04:07 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,639 times
Copying a reply I posted to a similar post:

I LOVE Sturbridge and The Brookfields. It still falls under Central MA, 20 - 30 mins from Worcester depending on your location. Houses are affordable, schools are excellent. We just sold our house in Brookfield -7 yr old 1800 sq feet colonial on nearly 2 acres for under $290K. We moved to North Carolina two wks ago and Im miserable.

Springfield is about 45 mins.

All depends on what you are looking for though. Its a very beautiful country-like area, yet close to "civilization"!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Question Sturbrdge?

Hi Again,

Thank you for the informative replies. I finally came to one town which I thnk lies middle of west springfield and worcester!

STURBRIDGE!

Can you guys help me in getting some more info for apartments? I am female professional and I would like to knw the kind of activties available. I have to work at Umass in worcester.....the commute seems to be around 20 minutes....

MammaLakn: Can you drect me in terms of renting an apartment in sturbridge which is in close proximty to Masspike for worcester.....how much would a 1 bedroom or studio apartment cost??

Any suggestions will be welcome!
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,639 times
Hi again

Sturbridge is a great place to raise children, might be a bit sleepy for some. Its a beautiful town with quant little antique stores and such. We are outdoorsy so enjoyed the woods/lakes etc. If thats not your type of lifestyle, Worcester isnt too far away. The shops at Blackstone Valley is about 35 mins away, awesome place to shop at. Sturbridge does has have 2 or 3 major chain grocery stores, a Walmart, Old Navy and Jc Penny.

Are you referring to UMass Memorial Hospital? I delivered both of my kids there, was about 35 mins drive. From Sturbrige it should be about 25 mins depending on which campus.

The majority of housing is single family homes. The only complex that comes to mind is Sturbridge Meadows Apartments which is more like townhouses/condos. I looked them up online and its $760 for a 1 bedroom apt. I know down the street there is another similar complex, not sure of the name. Both of these are just off Rte 20, excellent proximity to the Masspike. Another option is renting an apartment in a 2-3 family home.

Good-luck!

Old 12-16-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks MammaLakn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts