Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 32,859 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I've been reading for a while and am hoping you can give me some advice. My husband and I will be moving to the south shore (new bedford area) in the fall, and we are currently considering our options for a living situation. One idea that sounds attractive is renting a lot on/near the ocean and living in an RV or trailer. Is this even possible to do on a year-round basis? It seems like it would be cheaper than renting an apartment in the area, and since I'll be a grad student for at least two years, we're trying to figure out ways to cut expenses. We'd prefer not to live in an RV park, and I remember when we visited last year that there were a whole bunch a trailer type lots right on the ocean near Horseneck beach. Something like that would be ideal, but after doing searches on the internet, I could only find places for sale, not to rent. If anyone has any leads, or knows who I can contact to even ask about something like this, I would really appreciate the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Hi. I'm not sure if the lots your thinking of are available year-round. Some of them are privately owned, but many of them are available for rent from Horseneck Beach over the summer. I'd like to point out that the commute from that area of Westport to New Bedford or just about anywhere else in the area can be rather lengthy. Traffic isn't a problem, but it's mostly small back roads.

If you want to look into that you need to talk to the Department of Conservation and Recreation who oversees the property. If they don't have year-round rentals, they may be able to grant a special use permit, but it could cost you a bit. You could try calling Horseneck Beach (508-636-8816), but I think most issues like yours are handled at the Southeast Region Headquarters (the umbrella under which Horseneck Beach lies) at Myles Standish State Forest (this is the number I have for them, 508 866-2526, if they're not sure, ask them to get you the southeast region H.Q. number... they'll do it).

Rents in this area tend to be cheaper than most of MA. In fact, the South Coast is generally a seasonal destination. This means that a lot of cottages and waterfront homes are open during the winter. Many owners will rent them for minimal rent. I'd look at "summer rentals" in Fairhaven (West Island or Sconticut Neck), Marion, Mattapoisett, Westport and Dartmouth and ask the renting agency if they are available for a winter rental as well.

New Bedford rents are affordable too. If you're moving with a child, I wouldn't recommend New Bedford as public schools are quite terrible, but there are some VERY nice neighborhoods (and ones to avoid) in the city itself. Anything in the Downtown/Whaling District areas will be affordable. The Far North End (Sassaquin) is very nice and really sort of suburban. The Rodney French area (in the South End) is nice and on the water too. The County Street Historic area and the Buttonwood Park area are both very nice too. Stay away from the area around United Front Homes, much of Brock Avenue, and much of North Front Street (Front Street in downtown is nice). You can probably find something perfectly reasonable in New Bedford.

Hope that helps a bit!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the advice and phone numbers! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. The public properties are definitely a good option. I was also thinking that perhaps some of the folks who own the private lots would be willing to rent them over the winter. Would a real estate agent be the best person to call about that kind of option? If we're living in a trailer, it wouldn't be too much trouble to uproot for the summer.
I'm going to be a graduate student at UMass, so I'm more concerned about the commute to north dartmouth, and from driving around the area briefly, I don't think it will be too bad.
I've been trolling the apartment rental section for the area on craigslist, and the rents seem reasonable, but still a little on the high side considering that we're going to have a very limited income for the foreseeable future. We don't have to move for a few more months, so right now, we're just exploring our options. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:24 AM

You could try a real estate agent. There are some separate rental sites too. Home Away is one with a number of South Coast (the name of the region) listings. Cyber Rentals is another. You could contact them and see what they have available for year-round. My neighbor is out of town at the moment, but he has one of those lots on Horseneck Beach. I'll ask him who to contact about them when he gets back.

The commute to UMass Dartmouth isn't bad from the Horseneck area. Actually, it's a pretty central location so the only town I mentioned that might make for a difficult commute is Marion. Other than that, something in Mattapoisett, Fairhaven, New Bedford, Fall River, Westport or Dartmouth will work. You're doing the right thing by monitoring the rents occasionally something very cheap comes up.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:45 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,290 times
I'm sorry for hi-jacking (no I'm not, hehe), but as I was reading the title of this thread I got to thinking "living on the ocean in an RV" and voila!!!!

Now THAT'S What I Call an RV - droolicious

Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsOfMe View Post
I'm sorry for hi-jacking (no I'm not, hehe), but as I was reading the title of this thread I got to thinking "living on the ocean in an RV" and voila!!!!

Now THAT'S What I Call an RV - droolicious

wow, that's a little rich for my blood. maybe I should have been more specific... I'd like to live on/near the BEACH.

On a different note, thank you lrfox, you have been a great resource. Now that the holiday weekend is over, I'm going to try and contact all the sources you gave me to see what I can dig up. And, when your neighbor gets back, I'd be very interested to know what he says about those Horseneck beach lots. Thanks again.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:06 PM

You're welcome! good luck

Old 05-03-2011, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 10,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug44 View Post
Thanks for the advice and phone numbers! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. The public properties are definitely a good option. I was also thinking that perhaps some of the folks who own the private lots would be willing to rent them over the winter. Would a real estate agent be the best person to call about that kind of option? If we're living in a trailer, it wouldn't be too much trouble to uproot for the summer.
I'm going to be a graduate student at UMass, so I'm more concerned about the commute to north dartmouth, and from driving around the area briefly, I don't think it will be too bad.
I've been trolling the apartment rental section for the area on craigslist, and the rents seem reasonable, but still a little on the high side considering that we're going to have a very limited income for the foreseeable future. We don't have to move for a few more months, so right now, we're just exploring our options. Thanks for the help.
Hey, I am also attending Umass over at the law school and was thinking of an RV living arrangement. Have you had any luck with finding a reasonable lot rental?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 AM

158 posts, read 371,266 times
You must enjoy challenges because wintering in NE in a RV and keeping holding tanks and/or water and sewer lines from freezing (as well as yourselves in most RVs) will give you a real reason to get up in the morning, lol.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
I've RV'd all over the eastern half of the country, and am from New England near the ocean. You do NOT want to try to live in an RV near the ocean, or anywhere in New England in the winter. Campgrounds close. Why? RV's are not built to withstand ice, snow, winter, etc. and you will have no "hookups" in any campground. You would need FULL hookups, which are water, sewer, electric. You just can't park an RV somewhere and have facilities. Where are you going to dump your sewage, your black water and your gray water? Where are you going to get your elecrtricity and heat from? A generator? What happens when you get an ice/snow storm. Quite frankly, that is a dangerous idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts