Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,229 times

Advertisements

My wife, 2 young children and I are currently living in a condo in Brookline. We are in search of more space and recognize that single family homes in Brookline are out of our price range.

I grew up in Newton and am not looking to return there -- instead we are focusing on Needham and Hingham -- both communities that seem to have solid public schools, nice downtown areas, access to commuter rail/boat/etc (I work in downtown Boston), and are not too far out from Boston.

It would be great to get people's thoughts on the pros and cons of Needham and Hingham and the similarities and differences between these communities.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,302,963 times
I've never lived in either, but here's my sense.

Needham is denser, Hingham is more spread out with some exceptions. Needham may have more of a downtown, Hingham's is probably more charming.

The average household income is about the same, but Hingham has more of a reputation for materialism, etc., than Needham, which is perceived as more down to earth, perhaps because surrounded by towns more obviously known for wealth (Wellesley, Dover, Newton).

Obviously Hingham is near beaches and closer to the Cape. Needham is IMO an easier drive to the city, both for commuting and on weekends.

Each has a drawback commute-wise. Needham, despite being so close, is a circuitous 45-minute train ride to South Station. Hingham is actually only about 35 minutes away by train or boat. But the Greenbush line has far fewer trains scheduled. In the evenings, if you don't make the train at 6:40 or so out of South Station, you're stuck in town for almost 2 hours. The Needham line runs more frequently.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 95,435 times
Default RE:Hingham, Needham

I think Hingham is beautiful. We actually live in the area and love it. My husband is an executive with a biotech firm Three of the other V.P.'s chose Hingham, all have moved away, to either Boston or one of the other south shore communities. One was European, two from other large cities, they said they never felt accepted and neither were the children.

In fact, for one family it was just very painful, their kids are beautiful...they are an educated, fun attractive family and had lived over the globe. They had never had that experience before, we live close by and are told it is a common story...it is a beautiful community, but somewhat closed.

I know this is one perspective and we dine in Hingham often, but were relieved to have chosen a different community.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:34 PM

107 posts, read 287,217 times
My husband and I raised our three children in Needham for ten years until we were recently exiled to CA for a temporary assignment. We can not wait to return.

Needham is an expensive community but your dollar buys you a very welcoming involved community that is central to everything you could ever need, safe, family-centric and committed to maintaining its wonderful schools with dedicated teachers and staff.

Even if you are not certain about moving to Needham specifically, you may want to contact a realty company there and ask for a "welcome packet" it is something that many of them supply to first time home buyers in the town. It is chock full of information about schools, park & rec dept. programs, town services (town hall has a list of community members who offer everything form lawn mowing/snow shoveling to dog walking and baby sitting), and all kinds of other information it would take you months to discover on your own.

best of luck,
gracie

Old 03-27-2010, 08:07 PM

27 posts, read 111,293 times
I've heard similar stories to GoSeeGirls' with very educated foreign born families living in Hingham/Scituate areas. Not very welcoming to those not local (and by local I mean having had generations living in the area). Plus, commuting from Hingham is painful. We looked at Hingham closely and went there many times. Even though the town is lovely, we didn't want to deal with the traffic going to/from there, even on the weekends.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:33 AM

15 posts, read 70,178 times
Default Hingham or Needham

Hingham is having budget issues as is Needham. In terms of special ed, it is difficult in Hingham. Class size is going to go up, also. Have you compared the budgets in the towns compared to Brookline? Brookline's school population is around 6,000. Its budget is around 90,000,000. Hingham's budget is around 37,000,000 and its population is around 4,000. Do the math. This discrepancy makes a big difference. Brookline and Lexington are about the only towns where the budget cuts have not effected their budgets as much as everywhere else. Go on to Lexington's website and look at the surrounding towns. People often compare Hingham to Newton, Wellesley, Brookline, etc. and they don't compare. Hingham is a beautiful town with very nice people, but the schools are not even close when it comes to providing services.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM

27 posts, read 54,529 times
I grew up in a neighboring town to Needham and now live on the South Shore - not Hingham, but close by. IMO, the Needham schools are VERY strong and the Hingham schools are good. Hingham is a very charming town that has a lot to offer, but Needham offers an easier commute (you can take the train or drive), more central location (for jobs) and more flexibility. Needham has a nice downtown area, as you know having grown up in Newton. How did you arrive at those two towns? Just curious. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Blingham....Ka-chingham....the nicknames are pretty accurate. Hingham is lovely waterfront community. The schools are terrific, the town prides itself on that and it's reputation. People on the south shore aspire to live there. Those who do are proud they made it and those who don't think that they are a bunch of snobs. I do find the materialism to be an issue- but generally that comes from those who are really working hard to stay there and want to keep up with the Jones'. Most people I know moved there because they wanted to raise their children is a good community. The proximity to beaches (not just the Cape) also makes it very desirable. There are alot of very good restaurants and community programs for kids that also make it the type of town where you can live and play quite nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts