Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 AM

21 posts, read 327,890 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking to buy a home. We don't have children yet but are planning to have our first in about two years. We are looking at places like West Roxbury, Newton, Lexington and Hingham. Personally I love Newton since I lived in Newton for six years, it is close to Boston, a very nice and very safe town with great schools. But any house below $420,000 in Newton, which is our budget by the way, is in quite crappy conditions. Plus everyone wants a piece of Newton and the housing market is very competitive in Newton these days, we doubt that we can get a decent house in Newton. Lexington is too pricy, plus no public transportation (Both of us work in downtown Boston, we would prefer public transportation). West Roxbury is nice, but we kinda want to stay out of Boston. So that leaves us Hingham. I heard Hingham is a nice, upscale town with very good schools. Are those schools in Hingham as good as those in Newton by the way? Also I heard that with the Green Bush commuter rail open in the near future the price of the properties will rise so it would be good to buy a property now if we want to live in Hingham. Is this true? When will the Green Bush line start operating? We only have one car right now and my wife uses it most of the time, I need to decide if we move to Hingham how I can get to Braintree or Quincy Center T station without a car. Is it possible? Any buses that go from West Hingham to these T stations?

So Newton or Hingham? I want to hear your thoughts. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM

124 posts, read 904,971 times
I actually think that Hingham's schools are better than Newton's -- higher MCAS scores, higher college attendance rates -- but both are good, and both have a strong curriculum, electives, AP courses, really good teachers, etc. Kind of six of one, half dozen of the other. It's probably more a matter of looking at the specific extra-curricular offerings, for example, and seeing what you prefer. Altough the feel of the two are much different: Newton is a much bigger town, and the schools are bigger, too.

The Greenbush line is supposed to open some time this year. I am not sure of exactly when. There is a ferry that goes from Hingham to Boston -- it takes half an hour. So if you can get to the ferry, it's an easy trip to Boston. There is also one MBTA bus that runs from Hingham to the Quincy Center T stop.

BTW, I love Hingham. It is a really beautiful town. :-) There is a also pretty and convenient outdoor shopping mall, too, with a Whole Foods, some good restaurants, clothing stores, a Barnes & Nobles, etc. Towards Hingham Center is a cute little second-run cinema that often plays family movies (it's an old theater, with a movie screen installed... took my boys to see March of the Penguins there last year).

Old 03-28-2007, 03:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,485,155 times
Default Hingham is no picnic

I agree Hingham and Newton is comparable. So are the housing prices. Both have less than 20 (3+ bed) houses less than $450K listed

I suggest go to Hingham and see if you like a smaller town feeling.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Yup, looks like your decision is really just your preference of semi-urban vs. suburban. BTW, there's only one 3bd single-family house in Newton listed on the MLS for under $420k and there's 7 in Hingham. I've never been to Hingham, but if you have any questions about Newton specifically, just PM me. I live there.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 AM

644 posts, read 3,320,587 times
I went to High School in Hingham in the late 70s and early 80s. It was a great place to go to high school. Good schools.

Artie

Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 AM

A lot of houses in Hingham have private sewerage, what does that mean? That I have to pump my own **** etc.? Does it cost a lot of money to maintain? Also, are real estate taxes high in Hingham? How much does parking cost at T stations like Braintree or Quincy Center? Do I have to be there early in the morning to get a parking spot? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beijing66 View Post
A lot of houses in Hingham have private sewerage, what does that mean? That I have to pump my own **** etc.? Does it cost a lot of money to maintain? Also, are real estate taxes high in Hingham? How much does parking cost at T stations like Braintree or Quincy Center? Do I have to be there early in the morning to get a parking spot? Thanks!
private sewerage means the property has a septic system - its underground somewhere on the property (plot plan of the property will tell you exactly where it is). you don't pump it yourself but you do need to maintain it which does mean calling a company every few years to come and pump it out (just had mine pumped think it cost around $375). it's like a big tank underground that holds everything. in mass all septic systems must pass what's called title V inspection in order to close on a property.

as far as taxes go it depends on what you're used to paying. the tax rate is $9.00/per 1000 (using the assessed value of a home including the land). if the home is assessed at just under $400,000 your taxes will be around $3500 a year.

When I used to take the red line from quincy adams parking was $3.00/day. i used to get there around 8:00 and would sometimes have to park on the top level of the garage but i always found a spot.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Thanks, Surfingatwork, your information is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:27 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
Hi Artie,
Nice to see you here! Do you think we would like Hingham with our 14 year old son?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM

5 posts, read 24,439 times
I grew up in Hingham and attended the public schools. The school system is the reason people move to Hingham. Sellers pay all costs if they have to update the septic system. The boat costs $6 each way. There are lower rates for monthly passes and tax deductions available. Most employers subsidize the cost. The schools have a lot of sports and other groups. Bus 222 goes from the edge of Hingham that meets East Weymouth to the Quincy Center T station. Bus 220 (I think that's the #) goes from downtown Hingham to Quincy Center T. In Hingham, you pay for the land - not the house. Most houses are not huge, but still expensive. Hinghamites are very friendly to each other and pretty humble. Little communities of showy multiple-million dollar houses with no land have been added in areas that can't be seen from main roads. In school, kids form groups based on academic level more than any other reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts