Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM

54 posts, read 170,043 times

Advertisements

Hi, we'r relocation to the Leominster area. We know very little about it and would like any input. We are looking for a hip area that has a lot of family friendly event or/and places. Which is a better city Leominster or Fitchberg? We want to purchase a newer home and be near parks and shopping.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:09 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Leominster is considered a nicer community than Fitchburg.

Is your new job in Leominster? What is bringing you to that area?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:28 AM

My husbands company is in Leominster, so we're not attached to the area, but we dont want him to have a long commute and we dont want to be in a country town. I dont hear much on the positive about Worcester and Fitchberg gets a pretty ypoor rating for the majority of bloggers..

Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM

Ok, you didn't mention a price range or if you have kids in schools but I will recommend Shrewsbury to the south and Acton to the east. Both locations will give your husband a reverse commute.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:24 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Leominster isn't terrible. Shrewsbury as suggested could work as well - though it is a bit further away.

Worcester in parts is not bad. Overall it's offering more than Fitchburg. But with kids I might be more skeptical.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Our kids are 9months and 3yrs. So school isnt an issue today, but it wil be soon, plus I am in education so I'd like to work closer to home. Our price range is maxing at 280,000. We've been spoiled in SC big newer homes, but we're flexible. The location and an updated home are whats important right now. Thanks for your input !!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 PM

A budget of $280,000?

Ok, that will change things a bit.

I think you will need to look at towns west of Leominster out Route 2 to get anything decent in that price range. Maybe like Ashburnham, Templeton or Barre, but I have no recent experience with those towns.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM

279 posts, read 508,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
A budget of $280,000?

Ok, that will change things a bit.

I think you will need to look at towns west of Leominster out Route 2 to get anything decent in that price range. Maybe like Ashburnham, Templeton or Barre, but I have no recent experience with those towns.

The towns you mentioned are nice but the OP looks like they are steering away from a country area and I would consider Ashburnham, Templeton and Barre as country Not much for shopping in those towns but plenty of forest.

You can find a home in Leo for that price but will have to search, if you went up in cost a little bit you could do much better.Leo has plenty of shopping including a mall and plenty of locations to eat. Lot's of Parks such as Leominster State forest, nearby Wachusett ski resort, Pearl Brook State Forest in Townsend (20-25 minutes) and many others.

Leominster is pretty diverse with many ethnic groups. IMHO it's a pretty busy town.
Leominster, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 PM

16 posts, read 54,543 times
The advantages of living in Leominster are numerous.

First, your housing dollar will go very far.

Second, your husband will have the shortest commute available which will immediately provide savings benefits.

Third, there is ample shopping that is very convenient.

Fourth, you will enjoy life in a clean, well run municipality with relatively low taxes.

Fifth, you will benefit from town water and sewer in most neighborhoods.

Sixth, Leominster is highly accessible to Boston, Worcester, Providence, Rhode Island and both NH mountains and the ocean within an hour and a half drive.

Seventh, many residents are friendly and courteous.

Now, why would you consider living anywhere else?

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-07-2010 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts