Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 6,192 times

Advertisements

Hi all--

I'm a grad student at BU's School of Public Health in the South End.

My significant other is about to start a three-year medical residency in July in Fitchburg.

We're looking for a place to live that would be a reasonable commute for both of us to our respective places of work/school. I realize that I'll get the short end of the stick because I'm the one heading into Boston--and that's OK. I'm also willing to drive/take the commuter rail.

We've been looking around the Concord/Acton area because it seems like a logical midpoint--but it's probably too expensive for us in reality.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:09 AM

312 posts, read 868,692 times
Acton isn't too bad really. But Littleton and Ayer are small towns on the commuter rail line as well. It's a very nice area...

Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,931,602 times
Yep, Littleton came to mind immediately when I was thinking of nice towns in that area, along the rail line, and generally less expensive than Concord. One point to note is that you'd have to be okay with some real small-town living in Littleton, but that's true of many towns in that area, which has a semi-rural character in general.

If you'd like a more active town, another possibility in that area would be Maynard. It's an old mill town which has been discovered by young professionals, so that it now has an interesting mix of professional and blue-collar populations. Generally the housing stock in Maynard is on the older side, with most neighborhoods being fairly densely populated. Maynard is kind of a little dot of somewhat urban residential character in the middle of exurbia. It's a small town, but has quite a bit more going on downtown than most other small towns in that area, and it's still less expensive than the pricier towns in the area. If you need commuter rail, there is a station just north of Maynard in South Acton. You might have to drive to this station, so I don't know whether that's an issue, but if you could swing either a driving commute or a short drive to the South Acton train station, Maynard would be a good option for a bit more of an active town than you find in much of that area, at a relatively modest price.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:36 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
Are you looking to rent or buy? Apartment or condo or house?
I live in Littleton and highly recommend it as a mid-point, and a quiet, rural-like town very near major highways and a short drive to several good restaurants (Indian, Asian, Thai, Mexican). Not many apartments. I suggest you look at the Littleton Independent, which is the local paper of the Community Newsgroup (has real estate listing for Littleton, Maynard, Westford, surrounding towns). For some reason, it's under

wickedlocallittleton.com

I suspect if you enter another town name, you'd get its local listings.

And Littleton is a short drive to Maynard for those restaurants and the little movie theater (not a "plex.") Good farmer's markets and a large organic store near Maynard, Idlewyld Farm.
I mean, it's not rock n' roll around the clock, but nothing between the two cities is.

Best wishes.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,192 times
Thank you all so much! Really really helpful. We'll probably be driving out on our holiday on Monday to check out some of the towns you just mentioned. I really like the sound of Littleton from the way you are all describing it--both of us are really like rural communities (I've lived in NYC & Boston for the last few years and I need a break.)

brightdoglover--we'll be living in whatever location we choose for 3 to 4 years, so ideally we were planning on buying. I think we'd like a house, in order to have our own private outdoor space, but weren't really sure we'd be able to afford it.

Would the drive from Littleton into Boston be brutal if I'm doing it five days a week? Ideally I'm looking to avoid using 93 if I drive. The commuter rail is fine too, I just assume it would be a shorter, more direct route to drive. (This coming from someone who has never had the pleasure of driving in morning rush hour traffic in Boston. Ha.)

Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
You wouldn't be anywhere near to using 93 from Littleton to Boston. You'd be on Rt.2, or you might take I-495 to the Pike if that made sense.
If you leave Littleton by 6:30a, you sail into Belmont/Cambridge by 7a. Now, getting to the South End (I also went to B.U. for my MPH) is a mess of traffic. In fact, driving, it might be better to take the longer miles on i-495 to the Pike, as the Pike will leave you off close to the South End. I don't know how the driving traffic would be if you left at 6:30a and got to Cambridge byt seven, as you still have to wend your way to the South End. You do NOT want to be driving at 8:30a anywhere into town, especially Cambridge cross-town to South End.
If you took the train, that should be fine. Know that there is very little parking at the Littleton station (a stop in the middle of a field) and there is a lot of parking at South Acton, but it does fill up very quickly.
Forget about 93. You haven't mentioned a town that you've noticed that involves it. If you drive south on 93 at morning rush hour, you'd make faster time walking across the roofs of the cars.
Please feel free to DM me about Littleton or your visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts