Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM

70 posts, read 179,281 times

Advertisements

Hi, there. I am really hoping someone can shed some light...Does anyone know of a language immersion program or play group for toddlers in RI or MA? To my knowledge, the French American School of RI (FASRI) is the only one in the state of RI - how pathetic! Not to mention my 1-year-old is too young for their programs...and unfortunately, at this age toddlers really do benefit from learning more than one language. I am dying to get started and although I am "nearly" fluent in Italian my wish is to find a native speaker who would lead a fun program or playgroup for this age group. It doesn't have to be Italian either. I am open to anything at this point. There is actually a nice program in Natick, MA, called "Bilingual Babies" but the drive is a bit too far for us being that we're in Barrington and the class is only 1/2 long, once a week. I was hoping to find something steadier and for longer hours. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,980 times
Why don't you start your own program? It is not as hard as you think, especially for a young age. My kids are growing up bilingual (German/English) and I started a German reading group when they were little. I booked a slot at the local library (for free) and came up with my own ideas. You can just start with some easy baby books in Italian, sing some songs, do the numbers, letter, colors and shapes, maybe a little arts and crafts or some games. We did that twice a week and always had a good attendance. I am sure you will find other interested parents to attend and to help. Churches are also a good place to start this project. Good Luck

Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 PM

Haberstroh, you may be onto something! I am so fired up over the lack of programs in this area (as compared to say, for example, San Francisco, where there are at least 3 full immersion Italian schools!) that I may just do that. Only problem is that I am not a native speaker...but maybe for toddlers it is not so important? Just curious...did you charge a fee?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:20 PM

No Fee...we did have a bigger playgroup though for which we would meet in a dance studio (Cambridge). We had to pay rent and had to cover our costs. Sometimes we had money left over and would buy some simple toys (balls, music CD's etc.) or throw a small party. It gets a little more complicated if you charge, people expect more and you have to be more administrative. Let's say you need to cancel a session you have to either find a replacement or return the money. Way to complicated for a small setting. That's why it is important to have a place for free. I also know other groups (smaller ones) that would take turns and meet at people's homes.
There is a lot of things you can do and I would not worry about your not 100% perfect Italian. It does not matter in the early years. What is important is consistency and daily exposure to a foreign language.
The web will help you find other families to get your idea started!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM

53 posts, read 109,069 times
If you want a bit more rigorous a program, I know my town's (Millis, MA) schooling system provides a Spanish immersion program; kids learn both languages until they're in the 6th grade, when they start taking advanced Spanish courses, and in high school they can take spanish electives about history and culture.

Google Maps says you're about an hour away, so that's probably out of the question, but I think it's one of very few immersion programs in the state

Old 08-30-2009, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,917 times
I am in the process of developing a Spanish immersion playgroup. I hope to launch in the next month or so. I'm raising my daughter bilingual and I think it is amazing how quickly toddlers pick up more than one language. If you'd like to know when the classes launch, send me your email and I can notify you. I've done a ton of research hoping to find something in the area but there really isn't anything in the state. Good luck in your search!

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-30-2009 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Send that information privately, via dm.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:20 PM

Haberstroh, all good advice! Thank you so much. I've decided to take your advice and start my own group. I feel that my Italian is solid enough to get started (anyway, Italians always ask where I'm from in Italy, so I assume that's good! LOL) All good points regarding the technicalities; thank you for pointing that out.
Atf487, thank you also for pointing out the Millis school system. I was aware of that as well as the French immersion programs in Holliston and Milton as well, but unfortunately we're in the East Bay of RI :-(
Carla, your playgroup sounds fantastic! I'm so glad you're doing it. I'm going to try to start up my Italian one, but if it doesn't work out we'll join yours! Ps. Where do you live?
Thanks all!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 AM
2Be

2 posts, read 7,652 times
Default Bilingual toddlers

We speak to our little one in two languages (German and Spanish), and she understands us very well, but I would like to encourage her to speak more. There is one daycare/preschool that offers Spanish immersion, called Pine Village http://www.pinevillagepreschool.com/Their hours are not great, given that the child has to be picked up by 5:30PM. We are still trying to figure out how to best to maneuver our schedules and get her in. In the meantime I would like to continue to encourage her to learn.

Haberstroh, we are trying to teach our little gal German as well! Where are you meeting?
Carla129, similar question about your Spanish group: where are you meeting?

I really like the idea of joining a group like those you describe, and have looked through the Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville library websites, and there doesn't seem to be any group of that nature meeting currently.

I also like the idea of starting up a group, Haberstroh. How did you get the word out that you had a group going? You mention the web, but how did you use it? (While the libraries have calendars that they post, it doesn't seem like the best way to reach out.) What other ways did you find best for announcing the group's existence and meetings, and/or recruiting people to help out?

Thank you for discussing something of great importance!

Last edited by 2Be; 01-05-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 05:40 PM

82 posts, read 288,045 times
This is an old thread, but if anyone is interested, you should contact the French Library in Boston. They have children's classes and can probably point you in the right direction as far as other languages go.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM

2Be - We are not part of a German group right now. My kids are older and I am teaching them formal German at home. They are completely fluent and don't need a group setting to motivate them anymore. We are getting into reading and writing now and we have a regular German class several times a week, right after they are done with their normal homework. Playgroups are really beneficial for younger ages (mainly babies and toddlers) probably until age 6 or so.

Regarding on how to get to word out here some ideas: flyers on all kinds of blackboards like in the grocery store, offices and work settings from family and friends, churches, pre-schools, universities, schools, even playgrounds and utility poles if the town lets you. YMCA's and community centers, music teachers, ballet and gym studios, even radio stations, consulates etc. On the internet Craigslist and local online newspapers if the ad space is free. We have a German website called sprachhexen.com that is from and for German parents in foreign countries and they run databases of playgroups. Maybe other countries do similar things.
Hope that gives you an idea and you can get started somehow.
Auf wiedersehen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts