Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 AM

12 posts, read 29,912 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are just beginning our research in anticipation of a move to eastern Mass within a year from now, due to a possible job change.

We are quite familiar with Boston and Cape Cod having lived on the CT shoreline many years ago, but know very little about points beyond. We would like to know what are some of the towns beyond the greater Boston area, hopefully within about an hour of a T terminus or other mass transit, preferably to the west/south sides of Boston, that might work for us. We are senior level professionals, empty nesters--in other words, we are "typical" leading edge Baby Boomers looking for a new place to "roost"

Here's some basic wishes:

Prefer town that has a reasonable number of other professionals (i.e., not a predominantly blue collar town), decent shopping, restaurants, etc, fairly nearby
Prefer NOT to be in touristy area
Will strongly consider "planned community", i.e., new urbanism community, neighborhood model, whatever they are called up there.

Appreciate any suggestions!

elaine
charlottesville, va
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 AM

278 posts, read 1,063,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epack View Post
My husband and I are just beginning our research in anticipation of a move to eastern Mass within a year from now, due to a possible job change.

We are quite familiar with Boston and Cape Cod having lived on the CT shoreline many years ago, but know very little about points beyond. We would like to know what are some of the towns beyond the greater Boston area, hopefully within about an hour of a T terminus or other mass transit, preferably to the west/south sides of Boston, that might work for us. We are senior level professionals, empty nesters--in other words, we are "typical" leading edge Baby Boomers looking for a new place to "roost"

Prefer town that has a reasonable number of other professionals (i.e., not a predominantly blue collar town), decent shopping, restaurants, etc, fairly nearby
Will strongly consider "planned community", i.e., new urbanism community, neighborhood model, whatever they are called up there.

elaine
charlottesville, va
Greetings!
Right away, based upon your description, I thought of Natick. Check out the luxury condos, Nouvelle, adjoined to the Natick Collection. I think this area has every single thing you've asked for. Also, since schools do not matter in your case, I saw some pretty amazing urban condos being presented in Framingham. Framingham definitely has a mix of cultures and collars, but that adds vibrancy to your daily existence, in my opinion. So, to sum it up, if you want posh--Natick; if you want urban edge, Framingham. Those are just two that come to mind...best wishes!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
If a planned community is more your style, you might want to take a look at the Pine Hills website: (The Pinehills) The website is very interactive, informative, and the community itself is very nice. They offer everything from custom single family homes to 55+ single family or duplex condos. I have no affiliation to this neighborhood, just passing on some info. Enjoy browsing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epack View Post

---

elaine
charlottesville, va

Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM

You folks are fantastic! GREAT suggestions!

We are looking in other forums/sites too, of course, and got this from someone else. Kinda scary about that "small house" comment, but we do know it's expensive up there. Comments on these?

-------snip----------

Brookline
Newton
Lincoln
Belmont
Concord
Acton ( this about as far as I think you'd want to go)
Lexington
Bedford

They're large towns and have brilliant T access and a demographic that I think would be terrific for you both. You'll likely get a condo in Brookline in your price point [$400-700K] and could get either a condo or a small house in Newton.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,919,512 times
With the exception of Bedford and possibly Acton I wouldn't say all of those towns are upper-scale and in the top 25% of incomes/median home prices/etc (e.g. median home price in Lincoln is 1M). All of those towns are great and if you could find something affordable I think you could be happy in any of them. Lexington and Bedford don't have great T access to Boston, but all the others do. Brookline is very urban, Newton and Belmont are dense suburbs, Lexington and Concord less dense suburbs with nice centers. Bedford is nice, too, but not quite the beautiful historical center that Lexington has (but it's more affordable). Lincoln is almost a bit rural, but I don't know much about it.
It may be too early for you, but they are developing exactly what you are talking about--i.e. a planned community with mixed residential, commercial, and retail in Westwood at the Route 128 Amtrak Station. It's still in development, though, so probably won't be finished for a couple of years.
Good luck in your search!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM

I've seen several mentions of towns like Lexington and Concord, and as we now live in a rather touristy area (home of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello) we'd rather not do so in the future It's hard enough here with the annual influx of UVa students! Are Lexington and Concord, given their history, rather touristy too? Just wondering.

elaine

Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM

39 posts, read 130,160 times
What about Hopkinton, Westborough or Northborough? Westborough has the purple line to Boston and people are very happy with it. The schools in Hopkinton aren't as highly regarded, but it has a lovely country feel. Westborough is more populated and has more shopping. Northborough is nice because of its excellent schools and a brand new library and newly revived center of town. Both are convenient to 495 and the Mass Pike.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:42 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,413 times
Quote:
Are Lexington and Concord, given their history, rather touristy too? Just wondering.
Not in the way that Monticello is. The historic sites would attract tourists, but I don't think the town centers get that touristy. I haven't been there in a long time, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts