Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 AM

3 posts, read 17,080 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at positions in the downtown Boston area. I'd need to do the daily commute, from the Orleans area, and would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with experience...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM

406 posts, read 1,656,570 times
Wow...that's a wicked commute...no way would I do it.

My bro commutes from Falmouth to Boston and HATES it. Brutal traffic and gas is high.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:42 AM

10 posts, read 75,428 times
Default commuting from cape cod to boston

That is not a commute. That is a trip. It's over 90 miles away and would take 2 1/2 hours each way. Live in Duxbury on the South Shore.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Sigh. Yes, this is what I've heard... I'm hoping someone will chime in who has done the bus to South Station run... it would be great to hear from them what that's like. I know it'll take time, but I'm thinking maybe I can make use of the time...

Old 06-13-2008, 11:08 AM

406 posts, read 1,656,570 times
My brother started out doing the bus...he hated it. Plus, if he missed it he got home an hour later. He's still doing the commute from Falmouth by car, he's been doing it for over a year and the only thing that makes it somewhat ok is the fact he has friends in Boston and some nights he goes out with them to avoid the bridge...plus he's going over the Bourne bridge...you'd be doing the Sagamore and that's worse.

I suppose if you could work from the bus on your computer...maybe it would make the time well spent?

Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM

376 posts, read 1,811,899 times
You really need to think hard about doing this. I lived mid-Cape & took the bus to South Station for 2 yrs. Sometimes I would park at Sagamore, sometimes I would go to Hyannis. I would leave my house before 6:00 AM, get home around 6:30 PM. That's on a good day with no traffic, snow, etc. I do remember one stormy afternoon when I did not get home until 9:00 PM. (This was a while ago, before the Cape started having "winter") I just felt like all I did was ride, work, ride, sleep, ride work......during the week and that was no good for me. If you don't mind the unbalanced schedule, it may be OK for you. The only reason I did it that long was that I had some friends who drove into Beantown several weekdays a month and needed an "extra" so could use the zipper lane. Otherwise, I would not have been able to last the 2 yrs.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 PM

It's a trade-off... being employed doing what I enjoy doing and being paid well for it, vs. not being able to do that on Cape, at least for now.

I definitely am thinking long and hard about it... working on short term alternatives while building a longer term solution (hopefully). Maybe a year or two of that commute, what with a laptop to work on, and maybe an iPod for listening/learning... maybe not.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,640,504 times
That's going to be a 2 hour commute without traffic. With traffic you're looking at 3 hours easily. You'll hit a back up around the Weymouth area (Exit 15 on Route 3) every day. I found Friday's weren't as bad as the rest of the week when I commuted to the Boston area but Orleans is a good 45 minutes to the Sagamore Bridge with no traffic and another hour from the Sagamore Bridge to Boston with no traffic. Best case scenario is 2 hours. With gas prices on the rise I really hope it's worth it. You're going to be filling up at least twice a week so gas is going to cost you at least $500 a month and probably more since they're predicting $5 a gallon by the end of summer for Regular. If your car manufacturer recommends higher octane fuel and you drive around a lot on days off I'm guessing you're looking at about $700-$900/month for gas.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 AM

179 posts, read 1,210,204 times
How are you planning on doing it? I've gone from Providence RI to Orleans using public transit a bunch of times, and it always takes at least 3 hours. The Peter Pan bus is not direct from Orleans -> Boston (the one to RI made a bunch of stops in cities along the way, the one to Boston will probably be the same), and it is $50 round trip (if you book ahead). Hyannis, where the bus starts, is still about 20 mins away from Orleans. What I did was take the Plymouth & Brockton bus to Hyannis from Orleans, that is $6 each way. Driving is the best way to do it, but with gas prices and traffic...yuck. I understand wanting to live on Cape Cod though...good luck!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:32 PM

1,038 posts, read 4,003,541 times
Orleans to Boston. Whoa!!!!! I don't think so. But if I had to do it, I think I'd go to Plymouth and catch the commuter rail, rather than a bus. Still an hour or so from Plymouth to Boston. And another hour from Orleans to Plymouth? I've done long commutes and used them to catch some extra sleep, but I don't think I'd be doing this one.
Commuter rail cominng over the bridges sounds even better and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts