Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 12,225 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving from Chicago to Boston and my fiance is set on living downtown (working at Boston Medical Center). I recently got a job in Worcester and was wondering what the commute would be like. How long would it take to reverse commute from boston to worcester? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:07 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
It depends on where you live "downtown."If you live right near the Mass Pike, it's about 60 miles straight to Worcester, against traffic. Most of your time could be spent getting in and out of the cities. (And remember that living anywhere downtown requires having parking, which can be very pricey.)

Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,418,046 times
Thumbs up use commuter rail (fitchburg or Worcester Lines)

Why not just take the commuter rail from Worcester if in E,S,or W of Worcester, or perhaps from Fitchburg if north of Worcester, into Boston?

There's free wifi on trains for if you need to get work done, or you could just doze.- or enjoy b-fast or a cup of coffee, read a newspaper and not have to worry about the hassle of bosotn traffic, worcester to Boston even reverse commute is not fun. Plus with all the Mass pike toll issues it'd probably be better to commute by train

North of Worcester you might consider Fitchburg line
South E or W of Worcester might do Worcester line into South Station
Fitchburg line would be into North Station

From the Worcester Line to South Station you could hook up with the RED LINE and go to CHARLES MGH Stop on the red line
as South Station is on the Red line

from the North Station you could get on either the Green Line and go to Park St. (connect to Alewife Train 1 stop to Charles MGH) , or the Orange Line to Downtown Crossing - and take the Alewife Train 2 stops to Charles MGH
whichever train comes first. (they are on the same platform)

Hope this helps

Also some businesses provide "T" passes for commuter rail,subway,bus for their commuters, ask at work ...
or you can purchase a monthly pass from the "T"

Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,842,491 times
40 miles to Worcester as the crow flies (and on the Worcester Turnpike) and a few more if using Mass Pike.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 PM

42 posts, read 191,118 times
That would be a tough commute for you. I live in Newton, MA about 20 minutes West of Boston. From where I live, it takes me 45-50 mins to get to downtown Worcester. And that is not during rush hour.

You should SERIOUSLY consider moving somewhere between the two. As mentioned, the parking in Boston is expensive. You will have to pay tolls to take the Turnpike every day. Where downtown Boston are you thinking? It can take a while to get out of certain sections, which will add alot to your commute. What is it that he hopes for in lifestyle by living downtown?

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-28-2009 at 05:14 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM

49 posts, read 85,102 times
I am considering doing the same commute. Did you ever figure out the best place to live in Boston that would make the commute feasible by train?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM

Default Commuter rail only--DO NOT DRIVE from Worcester to Boston PERIOD

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT drive from Worcester to Boston. It will drive you insane.---in less than 2 years.

If you do commute from Boston-Worcester, do it via commuter rail.

trust me you'll be thanking me in 2 years

Old 07-06-2009, 10:47 PM

Default Fitchburg or Worcester line

I would say get a home near the Fitchburg or Worcester line

Hmm - you could maybe get a home near or on the Worcester line and commute both ways, you going outbound to Worcester in the AM , your significant other going inbound to Boston in the AM

Dont know how frequent the worcester trains would be in the AM tho outbound

then again you could commute into Boston on the Fitchburg line and drive into Worcester from there via 290 ,495 and/or 190
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts