Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 10:26 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/01/...dable-housing/

Pretty basic conversation and these days it is harder to justify. I mean if you are old than your 20's and got the whole bar/club scene done then what..and how much does that extra justify higher rents?

I always think it's funny when some people act is if there's no bars or restaurants outside of Boston. HDTV and now 4K is nearly the same as being at a sports game but without the traffic, parking etc.

Of course there are sometimes where you have to go. If you want to fly to or taking a cruise that's either NYC or Boston, if you need very specific medical care, if you are going to higher ed (yeah but then you are done). Nothing wrong with renting when you are young but go forward 3 generations and see what that gets you, especially as more work is still remote.

Even if you do have to go in there's all the subways and commuter rail lines. We are investing far more in rail than we are vs housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 10:30 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
One of my uncles built a home in 2002 in Wellesley for just under $500k with the land. Todays its worth over $3M.

However, if he wanted to replicate his lifestyle elsewhere... it would cost him $$$. So people who won the lottery are just staying put taking in their earnings.

Also- Boston doesn't have a scene for bars/clubs for the 22-35 year old crowd. Most go to different cities and states for that. You will be hard pressed to find 21-29 year old's (and that age is creeping up every year) who love Boston. Which is concerning.

Great state. But Boston (And MA) forgets that people actually have to live there, commute around there and have fun there lol. They miss those three pillars of life... but yeah the education and healthcare are great.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:45 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,542 times
For us family and community is the top reason. A good job is a close second.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:47 AM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
I don't think MA is a bad place to live but I will say again that I don't think the COL is justifiable and it's hard to understand how it continues to go up. I get the whole supply and demand thing but it has been very surprising to me over the past few years what people have been willing to pay to live here. It's kind of laughable what a SFH costs in most parts of greater boston.

I stay mostly because this is where I'm from, my family is here, my job is here, I own a home here. I have no real reason to leave. Will I live here forever? I can't say for sure.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:48 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,831,257 times
As massachoicetts pointed out those are my biggest gripes with the place, just trying to keep a roof over your head and the fact that driving almost anywhere is awful with the traffic unless it's during an off time. I'm lucky to have purchased a house but it's by no means my 'dream' house or 'dream' location. I'm not even interested in trying to one day own a mcmasnion or anything but to get even a modest house in a desirable location...I'm not even talking about a W town here.....just a nice town....nice neighborhood....it's like a real QOL killer b/c it will eat away so much of your disposable income that it's like you are living just to work so that you can pay your high housing costs. Can't even enjoy life....have to always worry about housing unless you make some sacrifices and buy below your means somewhere that may not be in your top pick location wise or housing style wise.

Anyways, I stay b/c I've always lived in New England, have family here and enjoy the close access to beaches, mountains, etc. along w/the change of seasons. Of course jobs are plentiful in my field too. However, I would most certainly consider leaving MA for NH or ME and I may just look into that in the near future.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:57 AM

355 posts, read 138,583 times
I stay for the following reasons (not necessarily in any order and the list is not exhaustive):

-Family (lots of relatives nearby on both my side and my wife's side)
-Friends/social network (same as above)
-Job and professional network. I'm hybrid and I can live just a few miles from my office. I'm also paid more here than I would be in other parts of the country.
-Liberal politics and freedoms
-Climate/weather. Maybe it's rare, but I like our weather here. New England autumn can't be beat
-Educational opportunities for my kids
-I like the culture here in the Northeast/New England (including things like the architecture, visual stylings, quaint small towns, etc)
-Access to top medical care
-The ocean and beautiful natural settings not far from home

Old 01-08-2024, 11:00 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Elderly family here, otherwise I would probably be out. Used to be a great state to live in, not so much anymore. Place has kind of sold its soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Also- Boston doesn't have a scene for bars/clubs for the 22-35 year old crowd. Most go to different cities and states for that. You will be hard pressed to find 21-29 year old's (and that age is creeping up every year) who love Boston. Which is concerning.

But not sure what this is supposed to mean? You must not be looking very hard.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:04 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iced_Coffee View Post
I stay for the following reasons (not necessarily in any order and the list is not exhaustive):

-Family (lots of relatives nearby on both my side and my wife's side)
-Friends/social network (same as above)
-Job and professional network. I'm hybrid and I can live just a few miles from my office. I'm also paid more here than I would be in other parts of the country.
-Liberal politics and freedoms
-Climate/weather. Maybe it's rare, but I like our weather here. New England autumn can't be beat
-Educational opportunities for my kids
-I like the culture here in the Northeast/New England (including things like the architecture, visual stylings, quaint small towns, etc)
-Access to top medical care
-The ocean and beautiful natural settings not far from home

I agree to this list (except for the awful politics lol), although most of this can easily be replicated in the surrounding NE states where you get a better balance and it's generally more user friendly.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:24 AM

355 posts, read 138,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree to this list (except for the awful politics lol), although most of this can easily be replicated in the surrounding NE states where you get a better balance and it's generally more user friendly.
We can agree to disagree, but the political environment here is a major plus to me. Of course nothing is perfect and I get it. Anyway, I like MA better than most of the other NE states, but I would be open to parts of CT, VT, ME, and even NH. RI is a non-starter. I prefer being closer to Boston, though, which is why I'll stay here in MA for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:31 AM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
#1 is definitely the employment market - I am in pharma/biotech R&D and this is *the* place to be.

Additionally:
- The state's natural beauty and variety in that beauty - from the sandy coastline and salt creeks through the farmlands and out to the Berkshire Mtns
- Lovely historical buildings, yes, with all their flaws and quirks
- Good proximity to VT, NH and ME for more charming New England - the best part of the region, in my book
- World class medical care
- Some nice cultural institutions and interesting restaurants

The above are the big ones for me, but also positives are:
- A well educated populace
- Liberal political leanings. I don't need this to be as liberal as it is, TBH, but if I were living in a state that's threatening to secede, or won't acknowledge who won the election, or chanting "Long live coal!" in unison, or implementing draconian restrictions on abortion, I probably wouldn't be happy.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-08-2024 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts