Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 12:14 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
DSS is overwhelmed with abuse and direct physical neglect from drugs and other severe cases. I think a house arrest would have been low on the emergency priority list, since the house arrest was for white-collar crime and not abuse.
I know they are overwhelmed but I think that's part of the problem is that wealthy white people and their kids like this can slip by the radar. These types of people still can have plenty of domestic/alcohol/drug related issues. They are assumed to be ok because they're rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 12:23 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I was just reading that because of his house arrest/ankle bracelet thing there were certain communities he wasn't allowed to go to. He ended up traveling to Brockton and Abington in part of this timeline and those were unapproved communities for him to be in.

I'm thinking DSS probably should have been involved with this family but i don't think they were. Anyone who is on house arrest for anything with 3 kids under 6 should absolute be getting visits from DSS.
DSS is a nightmare for the children involved. Studies have shown that in cases involving neglect (not physical abuse) that outcomes are worse for children who are removed from the home than they are for those who are kept in the home. Just because someone commits fraud doesn't necessarily mean they are an unfit parent. And it is always traumatizing for children to be removed (even when they are being abused) because they always bond with the parents, even if the parents are terrible. In cases where the children's lives are endangered, the removal is justified, despite the trauma. But in other cases, usually, more trauma is caused.

I'm thankful in this case that he did not also kill the kids.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:31 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
DSS is a nightmare for the children involved. Studies have shown that in cases involving neglect (not physical abuse) that outcomes are worse for children who are removed from the home than they are for those who are kept in the home. Just because someone commits fraud doesn't necessarily mean they are an unfit parent. And it is always traumatizing for children to be removed (even when they are being abused) because they always bond with the parents, even if the parents are terrible. In cases where the children's lives are endangered, the removal is justified, despite the trauma. But in other cases, usually, more trauma is caused.

I'm thankful in this case that he did not also kill the kids.
I've heard of people getting visits from DSS for things like OUIs. Basically a monthly check in on the family and maybe make sure the parent who got the OUI isn't drinking or is getting help etc.

For the guy who committed fraud it's too bad he wasn't getting some mental health assistance. It sounds like nothing was happening as far as help for this family (and if someone is on house arrest and has 3 kids under 6, I'm sorry that is a red flag) other than the husband just had an ankle bracelet that still allowed him to kill his wife. Im not saying DSS could have stopped this but maybe having them check in could have helped. DSS involvement doesn't always mean the kids will be removed...but now that is where that family is at.

Old 01-10-2023, 12:59 PM

I'm kind of surprised people are kind of brushing white collar crime and fraud crime under the rug particularly when there's kids involved. People who will commit those kinds of crimes are often teetering on the edge of life in other areas. I can't say I'd want people like doing those things taking care of my kids.

This guy was on house arrest raising 3 kids all week alone (no nanny has been mentioned). Who wouldn't lose their mind a bit

Old 01-10-2023, 01:03 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
I know they are overwhelmed but I think that's part of the problem is that wealthy white people and their kids like this can slip by the radar. These types of people still can have plenty of domestic/alcohol/drug related issues. They are assumed to be ok because they're rich.

No, they have to prioritize with the danger or injury to children involved. Of course a well-off family could have drugs/alcohol/violence but in this case it would appear the family did not. DSS isn't going to get involved based on a house arrest for fraud.

Old 01-10-2023, 01:12 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
No, they have to prioritize with the danger or injury to children involved. Of course a well-off family could have drugs/alcohol/violence but in this case it would appear the family did not. DSS isn't going to get involved based on a house arrest for fraud.
I guess I'm surprised by that. Seems like that they get involved anytime there's drugs/alcohol involved which doesn't necessarily affect the kids either.

Anyhoo, the kids are with DSS now...

Old 01-10-2023, 01:48 PM

TB had some interesting details:

https://tbdailynews.com/suspicious-c...-men-in-china/

Old 01-10-2023, 01:55 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
I guess I'm surprised by that. Seems like that they get involved anytime there's drugs/alcohol involved which doesn't necessarily affect the kids either.

Anyhoo, the kids are with DSS now...
They couldn't be abandoned without either parent or any adult present.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:23 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Being this is MA thread...........Everyone remember the day Aaron Hernandez was led out of his home in cuffs/ red basketball shorts/ white t-shirt pulled over his cuffed arms. Him sitting in the police car staring out the window........ Yeah that was his last day as a free man.

I wonder if Mr Walshe realized Monday was his last day outside of custody too...................idiot

Old 01-10-2023, 03:58 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
I'm kind of surprised people are kind of brushing white collar crime and fraud crime under the rug particularly when there's kids involved. People who will commit those kinds of crimes are often teetering on the edge of life in other areas. I can't say I'd want people like doing those things taking care of my kids.

This guy was on house arrest raising 3 kids all week alone (no nanny has been mentioned). Who wouldn't lose their mind a bit
I'm not saying it's great, but there are tons of parents who aren't great. That doesn't mean they can't care for their children. DSS isn't there to make sure all kids have an optimal home. (And if they were, there would be tons of kids removed -- it would be unworkable.). Parental rights are valued very highly and it takes (usually -- there are some egregious instances where kids are removed who don't have to be, but that's another issue) a pretty high level of bad for a court to agree to sever those ties.

Plenty of parents take care of 3 kids at home. Sure, it sounds pretty awful, but lots of people do it and have done it for a long time. Most of them don't kill their spouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts