Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2023, 02:34 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Why don't folks have common sense? Do they feel they are immune to theft just because they live in Swellesley? lol https://www.necn.com/news/local/poli...doors/2971667/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 02:49 PM

86 posts, read 46,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
Also, a large part of the increase happened in 2020~2022.
Yes, I think this is a key point. But I wonder if over a 10-year period we can expect at least one such large boom, to coincide with the economic cycles. Also wondering if we can expect a slump now, similar to the stock market, as a countereffect.

Old 04-28-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Boston Magazine tracks prices over a 10 year period
Is there a chart somewhere showing the yearly price history with this level of granularity (town by town)?

Old 04-28-2023, 04:39 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1337 View Post
Is there a chart somewhere showing the yearly price history with this level of granularity (town by town)?
Did you not see the link? That was a town-by-town list of appreciation. You can sort by appreciation in the last 10 years or last 5 years or last year. If you want at a finer scale you will have to mine the Boston magazine data yourself, I suspect.

Maybe this is easier to see: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/prope...ce-chart-2023/

Old 04-28-2023, 04:43 PM

37 posts, read 32,929 times
Quote:
What rates are you folks on the ground seeing lately? Best I found with a stellar credit was 5.375% on an 7-year ARM. I was told majority of mortgages taken right now are ARMs (unsurprisingly)
My credit Union pioneer valley has 4.5 for 5/1 arm. We're taking that as it's far and away best rate and we'll refinance down the road if it makes sense. We do plan on aggressively paying it off as we value peace of mind over any potential investment gains.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Did you not see the link? That was a town-by-town list of appreciation. You can sort by appreciation in the last 10 years or last 5 years or last year. If you want at a finer scale you will have to mine the Boston magazine data yourself, I suspect.

Maybe this is easier to see: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/prope...ce-chart-2023/
I saw it and appreciate the link but it's a table vs. a chart showing evolution year by year on x-axis (line chart). I wanted to see the bumps and valleys and timing of those.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueniteflower View Post
My credit Union pioneer valley has 4.5 for 5/1 arm. We're taking that as it's far and away best rate and we'll refinance down the road if it makes sense. We do plan on aggressively paying it off as we value peace of mind over any potential investment gains.
That's really good! But it doesn't look like I qualify.

Old 04-28-2023, 04:58 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Oh definitely, I'm not saying "good" towns appreciate faster. But my question was about this subset of towns specifically. Like any investment, the lower you buy the higher the chance of large profit, IF you pick the right investment. It could stay low as well. You have to predict the future. That's where the risk/reward equation comes in. Also from a purely mathematical perspective, the lower the starting point is, the higher the % increase looks.
The housing market has been crazy and in the last 10 years, Newton has just about doubled in median listing price. I don't know how much of that is appreciation and how much of that is old houses being torn down and new, bigger houses going up in their stead. I suspect that a given house in Newton has not increased in value that full 100%. Even if it had, that isn't a 10% annualized return.

Compare that to VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market). It was $38.93 this time in 2013 and is now $99.79. That is a 150% increase over the same time period. That actually is pretty close to a 10% annualized return.

Also, I question exactly what you mean with the bolded statement. There isn't a limit to prices. Buying something for $1 doesn't mean that it's a better theoretical investment than something bought for $10m.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:37 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
The housing market has been crazy and in the last 10 years, Newton has just about doubled in median listing price. I don't know how much of that is appreciation and how much of that is old houses being torn down and new, bigger houses going up in their stead. I suspect that a given house in Newton has not increased in value that full 100%. Even if it had, that isn't a 10% annualized return.

Compare that to VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market). It was $38.93 this time in 2013 and is now $99.79. That is a 150% increase over the same time period. That actually is pretty close to a 10% annualized return.

Also, I question exactly what you mean with the bolded statement. There isn't a limit to prices. Buying something for $1 doesn't mean that it's a better theoretical investment than something bought for $10m.
Can real estate appreciation be compared to an index fund? You have to pay property tax, insurance, maintenance etc every year.

Old 04-28-2023, 11:38 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Yes, I think this is a key point. But I wonder if over a 10-year period we can expect at least one such large boom, to coincide with the economic cycles. Also wondering if we can expect a slump now, similar to the stock market, as a countereffect.
Depends on where you're talking about. In desirable towns, prices didn't really go down during the 2008 recession. Prices mostly stayed flat while less desirable towns/cities took a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts