Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 08:17 AM

5,164 posts, read 2,721,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And this is what I call BS on. I can't say I'm that up to speed on their media (I'll occasionally read a Guardian or Daily Mail article), but I just don't see it in everyday people. I'd be open to data showing otherwise.
"They" have warped views of the US. But our views of the way they all see the US are completely accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 08:23 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,081,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I think they give them a year reto once approved. But it is permanent residency once approved, and it is legal residency once they enter.
That's the funny thing our amigos here are conveniently leaving out. There's all the bleating about foot-dragging on DACA but they know perfectly well it's simple political calculus and the number of new voters they'll gain won't offset the number of p*ssed of independents and moderate republicans they're going to lose. It's a completely different set of numbers with the asylum jefe, asylum herds that have been pouring in and at this point are close to being enough to permanently tip the scales and I guarantee that assuming the party of mao manages to hang on to power there will be all sorts of sneaky attempts to rebrand all of the illegals as legitimate asylum seekers and get them to the ballot box as quickly as possible.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:32 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,367,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
My experience is similar. Our drama makes its way into their media and social media far more than theirs makes its way into ours. And they rarely ever get any of the nuance, so they're getting an extremely simplified snapshot of what's happening here. Healthcare (or lack thereof), racism, and gun violence tend to dominate the headlines. Ironically, healthcare is imperfect there (almost all of the professionals I know have private supplemental health insurance) and racism and anti-immigrant sentiment is different in the UK, but still rampant (maybe even worse in some respects). The gun violence just isn't a thing there though. That's unique to the U.S. relative to our peers.
I had this conversation in Cologne with a Munich-based South Korean a few years ago when I was working for a Korean company. The L1 in the Southern California US office understood the blue state reality but the Munich guy thought Americans all own AR-15, walk around with handguns, and faced bankruptcy if they contracted anything worse than the flu. My family in Lancashire think the same thing. I told my dentist second cousin recently that it’s like the all Brits have bad teeth thing.

I think most Americans who never leave the US or only go to tourist destinations have no sense for what the rest of the first world thinks of the US.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:33 AM

23,776 posts, read 18,899,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
"They" have warped views of the US. But our views of the way they all see the US are completely accurate.
Maybe that's true for those Europeans who live a more sheltered existence and are less traveled. But the sense I get from family over there and their circle, that most fully understand that the US is a complex country just as is most of Europe. There's no shortage of Europeans coming over here for work, study and leisure.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:56 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,922,277 times
As someone who is on the path to get dual citizenship to pass down to my kids just so they have options, the more I look into living/working in Europe the more and more meh it seems for a white collar USA STEM worker at a GOOD company in New England.

Ironically, those who would benefit very much from living in Europe are lower middle class people in Red States in the USA but they vote Republican anyways.

Old 10-28-2022, 12:49 PM

16,731 posts, read 8,438,003 times
There's apparently 107 which includes 64 children staying at the hotels. Kingston/Plymouth it sounds like have to be get the kids enrolled in school.

It's interesting that everyone is so quick to get the kids enrolled in school...like their own parents clearly took them out of school to make the journey here and within a week or two of being here it's like imperative to get them into school?

Old 10-28-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There's apparently 107 which includes 64 children staying at the hotels. Kingston/Plymouth it sounds like have to be get the kids enrolled in school.

It's interesting that everyone is so quick to get the kids enrolled in school...like their own parents clearly took them out of school to make the journey here and within a week or two of being here it's like imperative to get them into school?
Here's some quick back of the napkin math - Kingston has 2,400 households so let's assume 2,400 houses. Each one of those kids will cost the school district a whole lot more than a regular english-speaking pupil so let's say $30,000/year. Assuming no more illegals show up and it's just the initial 64 it's an extra $1,920,000 a year the school district will have to come up with, in other words an extra $800 worth of annual property tax per household. And that's just the school, let's not forget about everything else that quickly adds up to six figures per family but taxpayer pockets are bottomless...

Old 10-28-2022, 01:44 PM

Yep. this is why people turn to private schools.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yep. this is why people turn to private schools.
Sure but your property taxes still need to be paid, you're still on the hook for the asylum jefe, asylum herd showing up in your town. And while $800-$1000 isn't much in the grand scheme of things I'd much rather spend it on myself than have politburo take it from me in the name of centered green new racial immigration justice.

Old 10-28-2022, 04:01 PM

I know...it's overall not a good situation for tax payers. It hits hard for people with kids at these schools I think. Adding 64 people to a school system at once is not fair to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts