Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2022, 06:12 AM

17,403 posts, read 8,944,321 times

Advertisements

Wow. It's no longer 1999. Wake up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 06:49 AM

5,233 posts, read 2,821,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I was under the impression that the residency is retroactive and the clock starts ticking once they arrive on US soil.
I think they give them a year reto once approved. But it is permanent residency once approved, and it is legal residency once they enter.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:54 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,540,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don’t think you understand how low salaries are in Ireland. €70,000 is top-10%. The exchange rate is 1-1. Middle income is less than €35,000. The minimum wage in Massachusetts is $15 in January so $30k. The math in the UK is similar. London pays better but the housing cost in London is worse than Boston. The only reason we don’t have mass waves of Irish and UK illegals is because they think they’ll get gunned down in the streets or bankrupted by the health care system. They also think the right wing that has taken over much of the US is a bunch of Nazis. The general view of 20-somethings there is that the US is scratched off the list. Ireland is part of the EU. They’d rather go to the prosperous parts of Northern Europe. The Brits would rather go to Commonwealth countries than the US. If they’re here and see the disconnect between the European media representation of the US and the reality in the blue states, they’re more likely to consider it.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:01 AM

23,971 posts, read 19,253,451 times
Quote:
Don't kid yourself. I was at a certain pub within the past year, and at least half the crowd was Irish illegals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t think you understand how low salaries are in Ireland. €70,000 is top-10%. The exchange rate is 1-1. Middle income is less than €35,000. The minimum wage in Massachusetts is $15 in January so $30k. The math in the UK is similar. London pays better but the housing cost in London is worse than Boston. The only reason we don’t have mass waves of Irish and UK illegals is because they think they’ll get gunned down in the streets or bankrupted by the health care system. They also think the right wing that has taken over much of the US is a bunch of Nazis. The general view of 20-somethings there is that the US is scratched off the list. Ireland is part of the EU. They’d rather go to the prosperous parts of Northern Europe. The Brits would rather go to Commonwealth countries than the US. If they’re here and see the disconnect between the European media representation of the US and the reality in the blue states, they’re more likely to consider it.
Source?

Old 10-28-2022, 07:04 AM

17,403 posts, read 8,944,321 times
I don't see a single person from Ireland down here on the south shore. I don't see many in Dorchester these days either. Where are they going ?

I'm not saying 0 are showing up here but they are not showing up the same way the South Americans are. They are self sufficient

Old 10-28-2022, 07:09 AM

5,233 posts, read 2,821,466 times
The business landscape in Ireland has drastically improved since the 80's and 90's. Lowering the corporate tax rate to 12.5% (at the chagrin of EU) attracts business.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:33 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,540,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Source?
About wages in Ireland and the UK? I’m not going to bother doing your 30 second Google for you. Ireland and the UK outside of London pay really low wages compared to Massachusetts. The Massachusetts January 1, 2023 $15 minimum wage would be considered a good wage for a non-STEM uni new grad.

The view of the US as the wild, Wild West with guns, health care bankruptcies, and Ayatollah-level social policy is the view in any other first world country. I have had that conversation lots of times in Europe and the UK recently.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:46 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,984,249 times
Quote:
I don't see a single person from Ireland down here on the south shore. I don't see many in Dorchester these days either. Where are they going ?

I'm not saying 0 are showing up here but they are not showing up the same way the South Americans are. They are self sufficient
Try getting a patio installed. I can’t speak to the immigration status, but 3/4 of the quotes I got were from guys brogues so thick my wife couldn’t understand them.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:50 AM

13,117 posts, read 22,342,524 times
Quote:
The view of the US as the wild, Wild West with guns, health care bankruptcies, and Ayatollah-level social policy is the view in any other first world country. I have had that conversation lots of times in Europe and the UK recently.
My experience is similar. Our drama makes its way into their media and social media far more than theirs makes its way into ours. And they rarely ever get any of the nuance, so they're getting an extremely simplified snapshot of what's happening here. Healthcare (or lack thereof), racism, and gun violence tend to dominate the headlines. Ironically, healthcare is imperfect there (almost all of the professionals I know have private supplemental health insurance) and racism and anti-immigrant sentiment is different in the UK, but still rampant (maybe even worse in some respects). The gun violence just isn't a thing there though. That's unique to the U.S. relative to our peers.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:06 AM

23,971 posts, read 19,253,451 times
Quote:
And this is what I call BS on. I can't say I'm that up to speed on their media (I'll occasionally read a Guardian or Daily Mail article), but I just don't see it in everyday people. I'd be open to data showing otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts