Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2022, 08:54 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have several sets of retired friends with big houses at ski resorts and near the beach. The logic is that the grandchildren will want to visit. It’s a very effective strategy.
My parents did the same thing. About four years ago, they moved their summer home (they're snow birds) to Cape Cod. We usually stay with them a number of weekends each summer. The kids love it and I've always enjoyed the Cape. Ironically, my parents hadn't crossed the bridge in about 10 years before moving to the Cape. So, they truly did it to try and bring the family together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buitenzorg View Post
I have made a career of designing such houses, many for exactly the reason you are now discussing: bringing the family together. And the truth is, they are very rarely full. In fact, I always make a point of locating the primary bedroom and living quarters in such a way that the house can be used by a couple comfortably without feeling that they are constantly moving about through a large and empty house. These houses also tend to be sold when one of the couple passes or needs care. Children rarely take them on; they go to the real estate market.
The townhouse my parents bought is absolutely perfect for this purpose. The master suite is on the first floor but kind of tucked away in a corner. Meanwhile, the laundry is on the 1st floor as well and there's a small office too. Upstairs there's multiple bedrooms and bathrooms. Basically though, my parents can live entirely on the first floor and have no reason to go upstairs which is what they wanted. When we come to stay there's more space upstairs than we need and there's one particularly large bedroom which also serves as a playspace/den for my kids. It's really the perfect design.

Quote:
The excess at the top of the wealth scale is astonishing and quite different from 30-40 years ago.
Wealth has become more and more concentrated in fewer hands in this country. There's really no middle class anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 09:03 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
I have made a career of designing such houses, many for exactly the reason you are now discussing: bringing the family together. And the truth is, they are very rarely full. In fact, I always make a point of locating the primary bedroom and living quarters in such a way that the house can be used by a couple comfortably without feeling that they are constantly moving about through a large and empty house. These houses also tend to be sold when one of the couple passes or needs care. Children rarely take them on; they go to the real estate market.
This is my father's home, purchased with exactly this in mind. The master suite is on the ground floor along with the kitchen, additional bathroom, and living areas (den and living/dining room). There is a single step up from the front walkway or the attached garage, so there are no mobility concerns. The second floor has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a small den/lounge. It's entirely for guests. There is no reason for them to go upstairs. "Mostly empty" isn't bad when the primary living space is designed well enough.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I have made a career of designing such houses, many for exactly the reason you are now discussing: bringing the family together. And the truth is, they are very rarely full.

That's not my life experience. With my ski resort retired friends, their grandchildren are often there every winter weekend and at the school holidays. They have season passes. They're often in kid programs. With coastal houses, I know grandkids who spend the summer there.

A huge house in suburbia for retirees? Sure. I'm sure it sits empty most of the time.

Old 10-20-2022, 11:43 AM

16,405 posts, read 8,198,277 times
One thing I've noticed with real estate these days is that having an outdoor kitchen or at least a grilling area with a fireplace and and a TV is all the rage. I think it looks really cool and I like the idea of it...but overall not my thing. I like being outside but if I'm going to watch tv I want to be inside away from bugs/the elements. I was at someone's house last weekend and they had a new outdoor kitchen with the fire going, a bunch of food set out. The food got cold pretty quick and most people migrated inside.

I wonder if a few decades from now an outdoor kitchen is something that will no longer be a luxury but a necessity?

Old 10-20-2022, 11:46 AM

181 posts, read 124,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
One thing I've noticed with real estate these days is that having an outdoor kitchen or at least a grilling area with a fireplace and and a TV is all the rage. I think it looks really cool and I like the idea of it...but overall not my thing. I like being outside but if I'm going to watch tv I want to be inside away from bugs/the elements. I was at someone's house last weekend and they had a new outdoor kitchen with the fire going, a bunch of food set out. The food got cold pretty quick and most people migrated inside.

I wonder if a few decades from now an outdoor kitchen is something that will no longer be a luxury but a necessity?

i don't think an outdoor kitchen will ever be a "necessity" in the new england climate

Old 10-20-2022, 11:54 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricka View Post
i don't think an outdoor kitchen will ever be a "necessity" in the new england climate
You wouldn't think right? I'm surprised by the amount of people I see putting them in these days. I think for some they were covid purchases. Perhaps people thought they'd be a good idea in that they had some extra cash and would be a good way to socialize in the future without having people contaminate their homes.

I think most people have moved on from covid as far as gatherings go...but I can see where some people would prefer to keep a gathering outside rather than have people in. I think it gets tougher as the weather gets colder though

We set up comfortable outdoor furniture with a table/umbrella next to the grill along with an outdoor fire pit and i can count on my hands the times we actually gathered out there even when it was summer. I wonder how often people actually use these outdoor kitchens on their own when they aren't having guests over.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:12 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
HGTV fever. No more ability to cram use into the main house so put in a kitchenette in the main bedroom (with a sitting area and that makes a studio apartment) and now outdoor kitchens. I'm amazed that anyone cares about these things in places with weather like New England.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
HGTV fever. No more ability to cram use into the main house so put in a kitchenette in the main bedroom (with a sitting area and that makes a studio apartment) and now outdoor kitchens. I'm amazed that anyone cares about these things in places with weather like New England.
Yeah could be FOMO too. I don't know how these became such a thing in MA other than covid purchase. I know two people who recently put them in, one has a pool, one doesn't. The people with the pool apparently spend a lot of time using theirs.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:37 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
I know someone who built out a fantastic outdoor patio living space. It's covered and has speakers built into it and I could see spending a lot of time there as it is quite comfortable. This is in California.

I have no idea why people here do it other than they grossly overestimate how much it will be used.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:45 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I know someone who built out a fantastic outdoor patio living space. It's covered and has speakers built into it and I could see spending a lot of time there as it is quite comfortable. This is in California.

I have no idea why people here do it other than they grossly overestimate how much it will be used.
People put pools in here. That's dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts