Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2022, 07:26 PM

408 posts, read 231,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I can't say I've heard of water being an issue. If anything there are rising tides in MA near the coast that could be a concern in the future
You should watch some documentaries and current news/political events out west. The Colorado river is in bad shape and is shared across 5 states. They are limited (even more now) how much each state gets because the river is not replenishing itself. This river alone is over 30% of LA’s water for example. The south western states are in dire straights. Outside of our country, there are others that don’t have water. It’s insane and will keep getting worse if things don’t improve.

While MA will have rising tides as an issue 30 to 50 years from now, at least we will have plenty of drinking water for years to come. Compared to what is happening in the south west right now. Being near the Great Lakes is one amazing thing.

Last edited by Higherho; 09-20-2022 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 07:35 PM

16,407 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I did hear about lake mead and all the dead bodies being found...

Old 09-20-2022, 08:18 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I'd be curious to see how much the ROI differs from investing the same amount in an index fund. One is far more work/active and the other is passive. One investment is leveraged, the other is not (but could be).
I know a lot of folks view investments from a total return lens. Many real estate and equities-focused investors go back on forth on what might be a superior investment. I'd rather take a diversified approach of investing in both for my future kids. Their college funds and inheritances are already invested into equities/fixed-income investment vehicles.

The real estate that I purchase after their birth would be another avenue for them. If the returns end up being lower then so be it, I'd like to give them a set of keys to get them started in life.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:17 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Saving for retirement is smart of course, but sometimes I wonder if people are over doing it. So many people do have parents die and leave them things that they dont take into account...many people are living longer but plenty of people arent. I would just hate to have a generation of people who spent hardly anything on the present because they were so consumed with saving for when they're in their 70s/80s. Obviously people who have nothing saved are in trouble...but if you have millions in your 401k when you're 38 i think you can relax.
Honestly, I think the reverse is probably true. Too many people are putting off saving for retirement, or are not saving at all and are going to be in a world of hurt when the time comes. Also, it's not very smart to hang your hopes on some possible inheritance.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:09 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Honestly, I think the reverse is probably true. Too many people are putting off saving for retirement, or are not saving at all and are going to be in a world of hurt when the time comes. Also, it's not very smart to hang your hopes on some possible inheritance.
Yes, there are definitely those cases of people who saved nothing...but I think people (at least people I know or read about on the internet) have become paranoid about retirement saving. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I often assume I'm going to live to be in my 90s but lately I've been seeing a good amount of obituaries for women in their 70's. You just never know. My point is I don't want to save like I'm going to live to be in my 90's then have something happen and die much younger than planned. I think most people assume they are going to live to be in their 90's

Old 09-21-2022, 02:35 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Yeah nothing surprises me anymore.

If I were going to buy anywhere it would be a place in NH.
Don't , We have enough Flat Landers .

Old 09-21-2022, 03:12 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Don't , We have enough Flat Landers .
Ha that's what I've heard. I have the same response to the hundreds and thousands immigrating here. There's too many people in greater Boston. They want to be in NH

Old 09-21-2022, 03:59 PM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
You should watch some documentaries and current news/political events out west. The Colorado river is in bad shape and is shared across 5 states. They are limited (even more now) how much each state gets because the river is not replenishing itself. This river alone is over 30% of LA’s water for example. The south western states are in dire straights. Outside of our country, there are others that don’t have water. It’s insane and will keep getting worse if things don’t improve.

While MA will have rising tides as an issue 30 to 50 years from now, at least we will have plenty of drinking water for years to come. Compared to what is happening in the south west right now. Being near the Great Lakes is one amazing thing.
Moving out here from Mass. was a real wake up call for me. Between the border issues and the water issues. The only continuously running river, the Santa Cruz, used to be filled with real water. Now it is effluent. The Rillito only has water in it for a few days a year during monsoon season. It used to have water all year long even in the 1970's and 80's. Everyone runs to go see it now when it has water in it. It is a major event.

And they keep building houses by the thousands and watering golf courses like water is in never ending supply. The copper mines also use a ton of water. The powers that be do not take it seriously nor do they care. All they care about is overturning an election. And yes, they are still trying.

At some point in the near future there will be a mass migration of climate refugees from here. So get ready for us.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:08 PM

It's interesting that if there is a water shortage that no one has sent any severe warning messages about this. Kind of like with covid (stay home, schools closed, wear a mask, get a shot). I dont live out west but I know people who do and no one seems to be making any changes to their life as far as water goes. Like shorter showers, only run the faucet when absolutely necessary. Be wary of how much laundry you do. hotels and hospitals must go through ungodly amounts of water.

People are selfish when it comes to things like this and dont even think about it. I honestly do keep these things in mind. I turn the lights out when not using them. I take short showers, my kids take quick showers.

The problem is people don't like change and they dont want to be told they need to cut back on anything. We saw how some people reacted when they had to wear a mask...imagine how people will react if they're told they can't run water at certain times? I could see that day coming sooner than i thought.

I dont think it should mean people from out west should be migrating to the east. How is that going to help water supplies out here (the east) if that is what people do? This is something that will have to be solved before it gets to that point. We have our own issues out here.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:28 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Yes, there are definitely those cases of people who saved nothing...but I think people (at least people I know or read about on the internet) have become paranoid about retirement saving. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I often assume I'm going to live to be in my 90s but lately I've been seeing a good amount of obituaries for women in their 70's. You just never know. My point is I don't want to save like I'm going to live to be in my 90's then have something happen and die much younger than planned. I think most people assume they are going to live to be in their 90's
Who is saving too much for retirement?? The average American can't cover a $400 emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts