Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 02:12 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

I’m not sure what is middle class anymore either. I don’t think Nantucket is a place that many middle class people have an interest in even. One they can’t afford it, two you kind of have to go out of your way to get there.

Nantucket seems to be a place women are attracted to. High end shops, pretty homes and flowers. I just don’t see it being a place that middle class men would enjoy unless they were going fishing or something. There are easier places to get to for fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 02:14 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I’m not sure what is middle class anymore either. I don’t think Nantucket is a place that many middle class people have an interest in even. One they can’t afford it, two you kind of have to go out of your way to get there.

Nantucket seems to be a place women are attracted to. High end shops, pretty homes and flowers. I just don’t see it being a place that middle class men would enjoy unless they were going fishing or something. There are easier places to get to for fishing.
Bachelorette parties is the appeal.

Go to Cisco brewery any given summer weekend and the place is crawling with women having a bachelorette party weekend.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:24 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Bachelorette parties is the appeal.

Go to Cisco brewery any given summer weekend and the place is crawling with women having a bachelorette party weekend.
Yes cisco brewery does seem to be popular. I dont like beer.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:00 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,923,142 times
It's a little slice of nostalgia for some. A place that doesn't really change. The homes aren't "loud" or gaudy like you get in other very affluent parts of the US.. It's more modest or refined than most of its peers. No doubt it's pretentious, maybe even a bit cold. But it's absolutely beautiful.

We've gone every summer for most of my life, and the more I travel, the more i'm reminded just how much I like it. It's the little things... Like the hydrangeas that line the streets, massive sandwiches from Something Natural, taking a Wrangler out to Great Point to swim and watch the seals roll on by. We bike everywhere, as the entire island is connected by trails. The downtown is timeless. The only notable shift over the last few decades is the push to a more upscale food scene thanks to NYC and Boston executive chefs.

It's become one of the, if not the most exclusive place to vacation on the East Coast. With that comes more domestic tourism, higher prices, International travelers. Certainly wish it was a hidden gem, but it is what it is.

Old 07-09-2022, 12:19 AM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
I agree that it’s a popular for 20-something New England females going to waitress (or some type of service-industry job) for the summer. I remember girls from my college doing that and even my coworker’s daughter from Portland, ME headed down maybe five or so years ago to work during a few summer breaks while going to college in CT.

I just randomly remembered hearing Kourtney Kardashian made the news for vacationing there a few years back. I just googled it to make sure I was remembering correctly and it turns out she stayed in a $50 million Airbnb that Airbnb gifted her. My guess is it was free publicity for being featured on KUWTK.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/201...-rental-airbnb

Last edited by Remy11; 07-09-2022 at 12:51 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 06:56 AM

Definitely does not seem like a place that Kourtney Kardashian would like. She probably looked at the prices and was like, fine i'll go.

Lots of people from CA don't get the appeal of the cape either. I can see why.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:03 AM

2,368 posts, read 1,856,713 times
25 years in MA never been to the islands. Been to Yarmouth, Dennis, Hyannis, did a bike trip with a youth group out to the end one time. Everyone always asks about the Cape and the Islands and expects you to have 'summered' there.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:26 AM

181 posts, read 124,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

bingo

Old 07-09-2022, 09:28 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,359,443 times
I had a friend from college whose in-laws lived in I can’t recall which but a toney south shore town and later bought a summer house on ACK. All she could talk about was the fact her future daughter’s wedding announcement would say she was the granddaughter of X of toney town and Nantucket. Aside from New York Times announcements is that even a thing? Way too pretentious for me. Soured me on Nantucket if that’s the vibe.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:32 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
I had a friend from college whose in-laws lived in I can’t recall which but a toney south shore town and later bought a summer house on ACK. All she could talk about was the fact her future daughter’s wedding announcement would say she was the granddaughter of X of toney town and Nantucket. Aside from New York Times announcements is that even a thing? Way too pretentious for me. Soured me on Nantucket if that’s the vibe.
Wow. One would like to think that there aren’t people like that. I could see being proud that you own a home in Nantucket but just being excited about writing it in a wedding announcement seems absurd. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts