Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 05:06 PM

3,624 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Maybe in due time MV will be just as elitist as ACK. $380K in 2018 and now asking $1.5 mil for 589 sq ft!

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...il/M4524624856
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 05:22 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
The white oval stickers began in Europe in the early 1900's. European license plates were all very similar and it was decided that having the sticker with the country made it easier to identify where the car was from.

In 1949 (Geneva) and 1968, (Vienna) Conventions on Road Traffic required use of oval stickers with the country to identify where the vehicle is licensed. At some point, the EU license plate incorporated the country into it.

I believe the only countries that still have to display one when they travel outside their borders are Switzerland, Lichtenstein, and the UK.

I do display some of those on the roof box:

NH for New Hampshire
DEN for Denver
LG for Lake George
D for Germany.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:30 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right, I wasn't implying that MV is cheap whatsoever. The two places are similar in that they are islands off the cape but once you are on them they are quite different which is nice. But I just wondered how/why Nantucket has such a snobby pretentious feel and MV has kind of fun/eclectic diverse vibe. I'm sure plenty of people say F Nantucket for those reasons...but clearly many prefer Nantucket as well.
That reminds me of limericks that start with something like this:

“There once was a man from Nantucket...”

I could make up some original ones but they would get me banned.

Old 07-06-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes, I'm guessing that's where some of the snobbery comes from. The whaling days. It just has a very quintessential blue blood brahmin feel. I feel like Boston has kind of moved on from those days and is pretty open minded to all who visit/pass through...but not Nantucket. I was actually shocked to see hired help/nannies (many of them black women) following around expensively dressed moms with kids in tow. It just had a really weird vibe. Like oh I'm on vacation with my kids but I still need my mammy behind me to pick up the trash and do whatever I don't want to do as we walk.

It's not about family time, it's about being the best dressed on the island and one upping the next mommy walking by! If these mommies aren't independently wealthy, I sure hope they have a good pre-nup or never end up divorced. Sounds like the type who couldn't fight their own way out of a paper bag. Yikes!

Old 07-06-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That reminds me of limericks that start with something like this:

“There once was a man from Nantucket...”

I could make up some original ones but they would get me banned.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. I literally re read this..."I'm sure plenty of people say F Nantucket for those reasons.." a couple times times trying to understand how that reminds you of a limerick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerick_(poetry)

Old 07-06-2022, 06:17 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
What makes Nantucket the bees knees is the beach experience. The warm Gulf Stream current exposure, impressive surf and waves on the south side, calm waters of the harbor, finding a floral and fragrant dirt path to bike to the beach. Block Island is my pick and favorite of the three as its beaches are fantastic and I like its uncrowded low key feel. The Vineyard is probably the best option to stay for a week for things to do. But Nantucket really does have the most scenic and appealing beaches.

Cuttyhunk is a fun little day trip. It's not really a beachy island, there's a lot of seaweed there. But I like that it's different island experience for when the Vineyard and Nantucket feel too busy. It's a quaint adorable little village with gorgeous seascape and island views. It's a popular stop for sailers and salt water fishing enthusiasts. I had the best lobster roll and oysters I ever had on Cuttyhunk.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-06-2022 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-06-2022, 06:35 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I used to know a lot of them. They're fun to make up too--probably more fun than actually going to Nantucket.

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_...from_Nantucket

Old 07-06-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I used to know a lot of them. They're fun to make up too--probably more fun than actually going to Nantucket.

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_...from_Nantucket

This one makes sense and follows the limerick rhyme scheme! The other post not so much....still scratching my head on how that one bolded line "I'm sure plenty of people say F Nantucket for those reasons.."resonates with someone as a limerick. I don't get it, what am I missing? lol

Old 07-06-2022, 07:40 PM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Apparently me saying ,’ I'm sure plenty of people say F Nantucket for those reasons.‘ reminded someone of the there once was a man from Nantucket rhyme. That’s all.

Nan****et.

Old 07-07-2022, 06:48 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I was wondering when the famous rhyme would make it's way into this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts