Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 01:19 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Do not listen to people here about this question! Ask your realtor and listen to them. A good realtor will look at your place and know this much better than any of us, it is what they do for a living and one of the values they provide. They are in tune with what buyers want so let them advise you and stage the place.

Best of luck.
Unfortunately there are a lot of really lousy realtors. I've bought and sold several properties in the last couple of months and can say unequivocally, some of them have become too accustomed to just opening the door for buyers and nothing else. Some strive for a quick turnover and don't care about getting top dollar for their client. It's not too hard to look at listings, see what is selling , what is sitting and expectations for price points. Selling a home is a partnership. The owner should be actively engaged and educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 02:53 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
It's really hard to advise someone on this subject without seeing their home first, but generally I find myself recommending the following to most of my clients:

-Deep cleaning
-Decluttering
-Staging
-Painting

Real life and HGTV are two very different things. HGTV makes everyone think in order to sell your house you need to renovated the kitchen and bathrooms, and put in all new flooring before you put your house on the market but that's not reality. Really, you just want to make the house look as best as possible in its current condition. At the end of your work, everything should function as intended and everything should look clean and bright and that's really the best way to approach it. Renovating a kitchen or bathroom or replacing flooring is generally just throwing good money after bad.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:11 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Why would you randomly paint the kitchen cabinets white?
If the OP does decide to paint their cabinets, I recommend having professionals do it. The DIY method will chip and wear after a few years. The pros have a paint that is cured by heat.
Our dark kitchen was painted antique white with a blue island, and it looks much brighter and cleaner. It cost about $7,000, but we think I worth the money.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:25 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If the OP does decide to paint their cabinets, I recommend having professionals do it. The DIY method will chip and wear after a few years. The pros have a paint that is cured by heat.
Our dark kitchen was painted antique white with a blue island, and it looks much brighter and cleaner. It cost about $7,000, but we think I worth the money.
Welp I think DIY is part of the advantage to the sellers. If it's good for a few years that has nothing to do with the seller. I think people try to cut costs wherever they can these days.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:32 AM

Also 7k to paint cabinets seems insane.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:39 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
I guess if you have old grungy cabinets a coat of white paint can enhance the appearance. The "looks cleaner" part I'm not getting. To me it's either clean, or it ain't. I prefer a richer look with character. I think white is too generic looking. Yeah 7K for a paint job sounds wild.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:42 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
If you have trees that need to be cut and they are by power lines contact the electric Co. I'm getting one removed for free this summer.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:47 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Absolutely. A contractor who specializes in cabinet refinishing will be more expensive but will also achieve superior and longer lasting results.

I remember last year I was in a house in Framingham with a client and the homeowner had painted the original cabinets from the '50s gray. You could see the roller marks on the cabinet doors so clearly a DIY job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Welp I think DIY is part of the advantage to the sellers. If it's good for a few years that has nothing to do with the seller. I think people try to cut costs wherever they can these days.
I don't think that's a "these days" kind of thing. People are always looking to save money. Personally, I'm a golden rule kind of guy and I tend to treat people how I want to be treated and if I handed someone hundreds of thousands of dollars for their house I'd be pretty miffed if the white cabinets started peeling a year later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Also 7k to paint cabinets seems insane.
Cabinet refinishing is expensive. It's more than just slapping a coat of Benjamin Moore on there. They're disassembling the cabinets, spraying on the finish, and for the cabinet boxes which can't be taken to the shop not only is there a ton of taping off to do but they usually create a paint booth around them with ventilation, etc.

$7K actually isn't a bad price unless this was a super small kitchen that was refinished.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:16 AM

I think most people who have some experience with painting would do that painting before hiring someone else.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Cabinet refinishing is expensive. It's more than just slapping a coat of Benjamin Moore on there. They're disassembling the cabinets, spraying on the finish, and for the cabinet boxes which can't be taken to the shop not only is there a ton of taping off to do but they usually create a paint booth around them with ventilation, etc.

$7K actually isn't a bad price unless this was a super small kitchen that was refinished.
Actually, $7K is cheaper that replacing all the cabinets. You are correct about the contractor's methods. We did it planning to stay the rest of our lives in the house, so we did not want the DIY method. We have a large house in North Carolina, so our labor rates were less. However there were 2 men spending 4 and a half days inside the house, plus a day for painting the doors in the shop.

If the job is for resale, I also would not want to present a DIY job where I could see the roller marks. Instead, I would vote for cleaning up the cabinets, and let the next buyer decide what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts