Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,816 times

Advertisements

We are planning to sell our home in the next year and are trying to decide which renovations will be the most worthwhile to complete before listing. Of course we prefer projects that have the best return of our investment in the sale price. There is plenty of advice to be had on this topic, but I was hoping to get advice specific to the current market in our location in West Houston.

Our home has been partially renovated (marble/granite bathrooms and most rooms have been painted and new light fixtures installed), but the kitchen has not been updated yet. Our landscaping is updated and we are considering having the exterior of our house painted. We have a few carpeted areas. Should we replace these or just include a flooring budget for the new owner? Should we add granite countertops and new tile floor in the kitchen or just leave it alone for the new owner to renovate as they like? Is the market so hot that we should just list with minimal updates? We live in a neighborhood where we get frequent letters from potential buyers. Thanks in advance for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:07 PM

370 posts, read 614,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovators2 View Post
We are planning to sell our home in the next year and are trying to decide which renovations will be the most worthwhile to complete before listing. Of course we prefer projects that have the best return of our investment in the sale price. There is plenty of advice to be had on this topic, but I was hoping to get advice specific to the current market in our location in West Houston.

Our home has been partially renovated (marble/granite bathrooms and most rooms have been painted and new light fixtures installed), but the kitchen has not been updated yet. Our landscaping is updated and we are considering having the exterior of our house painted. We have a few carpeted areas. Should we replace these or just include a flooring budget for the new owner? Should we add granite countertops and new tile floor in the kitchen or just leave it alone for the new owner to renovate as they like? Is the market so hot that we should just list with minimal updates? We live in a neighborhood where we get frequent letters from potential buyers. Thanks in advance for advice.

You might want to mention how old your home is, what area in west Houston.

With interest rates so low, right now is the time to sell. it's also the time to buy. do some minimal renovations and get ready to list in may. after this summer, I predict interest rates to go back up. The market won't be as 'hot' as it is now.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,535,924 times
Depends on the area and price range. You might be in older livable or in knock down category, even with some updates. If you update too much in a lower priced point in highly desired areas, it makes it slightly harder to sell...and the pain of the remodel pointless.

West Houston buyers don't seem to shy away from the remodel adventure. I'd make it clean, price it right.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,779,182 times
You mention you get letters from potential buyers. I will assume you are in a desirable area. Are these letters from individuals or investors? As someone mentioned is your home considered a possible teardown?
If you are in a hurry you can just clean it up and list it. It may be worth your while to remodel it and try to make some extra money. If you are in a desirable West Houston area (again the letters you mentioned) if you can get the remodel done in time for the summer shoppers I would venture to say you stand to benefit form the extra work.
Of course you will need to do due diligence to see what the comps are for remodels and make sure you don't price yourself out of the area. Basically treat it almost like a flip. If you can't make more for the upgrades than you pay, don't do them.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:17 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,413,825 times
If you are in a neighborhood like Nottingham forest in west Houston, I would say to sell it as is with a few inexpensive fixes.There is high demand there.

How bad is the exterior paint? If it's in really terrible shape I would get it painted.

Is the kitchen a gut job or will a granite slab and new tile fix the issues?

Don't replace flooring unless it's in terrible condition.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 AM

670 posts, read 1,445,959 times
Frequent letters? What do they say?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,731,327 times
As my wife and I have begun looking at houses recently, I can honestly say I think the kitchen is the least important for me thing to see remodeled. A). Some of these remodeling choices will be choices the buyer wants to make for themselves. B). Kitchen remodels are fairly straightforward as remodels go. Everyone wants granite, seemingly everyone wants the steel thing above the stove, etc....

The remodel I value the most--the thing I want to see already done--is hardwood floors. Looking at a house with white tile floor is an especially big turnoff for me. This is totally subjective, but it's also based on talking with my stepmom who works in real estate.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:33 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,535,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
Frequent letters? What do they say?
If it's anything like the ones we get, it will be a picture of a smiling family followed with a note how they love the neighborhood and are looking to buy. They will include their email and phone numbers, and the agent they are working with...usually one well known in the neighborhood.There's not a lot of inventory in some areas.

Jerbear, I agree about the tile. Tile, laminate floors, and dark kitchen cabinets and counters...I walk right out. I don't want to pay people back for those things..because I'm going to rip that mess out.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,816 times
Thanks for all the feedback! Without giving too much info, I will say we are inside the beltway in an area that has escaped the prevalent tear down phenomenon. The houses are built in the 60s and are very well maintained for the most part. The letters are from realtors/families looking to buy due to the inventory being extremely low.

The current paint job is 8 years old and doesn't look that bad. It's hard to tell since everything is currently covered in tree pollen. Maybe we will see how it looks after a pressure washing. The kitchen is good condition and recently painted with a new light fixture, it just does not have the upscale surface/finishes that I see on some other houses for sale.

We do not have white tile floor at least . Sounds like it is best to just let the future buyer renovate the kitchen. We will consider installing hardwood floors.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:07 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,492,947 times
You might want to talk to a realtor (or several) and get advice on what they think should be done. If inventory is that low, you may not want to do anything.

How bad does your carpet look? My family just purchased a home, and we didn't consider any without carpet in the living room and bedrooms. Hard wood is the trend, but not everyone is on board.

If your kitchen looks tired, an easy change is paint. I refinished the kitchen cabinets in one home and painted the walls a new, light color, and it looked completely different. Still didn't have granite or stainless, but it looked like a more updated version of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: