Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 06:45 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Two houses in my neighborhood recently sold for mid 600's, with dumpster showing up the day after closing followed by a total gut job and several months of contractors pouring in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 06:50 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,322,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I thought this would be an interesting thread to show the range of homes for sale in your area. What made me think of it though was my current town (Waltham) and the extreme shortage we have of SFH.

Case in point according to Realtor.com there is exactly ONE SFH for sale currently in Waltham that is non-contingent.

Cheapest/Most Expensive: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M38758-82180
Boston is too varied to include as a single monolithic whole so I'll just go with my zip code within it:

Cheapest (per Redfin): $535k (1 bd/1 ba 475 sq ft)
Most Expensive (per Redfin): $10.55 million (4 bd/4.5 ba 4810 sq ft)

Median sale price is $1.32 million. There are no SFHs...wait, there is 1: https://www.redfin.com/MA/Boston/5-L...6/home/9262857 ($2.499 million, 3/2, 2138 sq ft).

Old 02-22-2022, 08:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Two houses in my neighborhood recently sold for mid 600's, with dumpster showing up the day after closing followed by a total gut job and several months of contractors pouring in.
Can someone explain the math to me? I spent $225/square foot remodeling my house a decade ago and I was paying $35/hour New Bedford labor rates with materials cost half what it is now. Are these really total gut jobs or are they just doing a kitchen, a bath or two, upgrading flooring, and giving it a professional paint job? The only total gut job going on near me is a historic house that sold for less than the value of the land because it couldn’t be torn down. The buyer is DIY and it’s been an unoccupied work in progress for a couple of years.

Dumpsters here are usually a kitchen & bath remodel. If you have to do windows, doors, wiring, insulation, plumbing, and HVAC, people just knock it down and start over.

Old 02-22-2022, 09:12 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Worcester SFH:

low: $137k
Highest: $799k

Shrewsbury SFH:
350k to 1.8M

West Boylston? None for sale.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:24 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Marlborough

Low: $350K: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...pid/?mmlb=g,19 (3 bed/1 bath, next to a condemned house that has not been replaced after burning down last year)

High: $720K: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56525567_zpid/ (4 bed/3 bath updated colonial)

Like everywhere, inventory is really low and prices are runaway. Pre-pandemic, I looked at this building at a unit with much nicer finishings (no carpet, for instance) and on the top floor so the windows didn't look into neighboring apartments. In fall of 2019, that condo was listed at 280K and it was one of the more expensive condos in the city. This less desirable unit is currently listed for 345K.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:46 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Can someone explain the math to me? I spent $225/square foot remodeling my house a decade ago and I was paying $35/hour New Bedford labor rates with materials cost half what it is now. Are these really total gut jobs or are they just doing a kitchen, a bath or two, upgrading flooring, and giving it a professional paint job? The only total gut job going on near me is a historic house that sold for less than the value of the land because it couldn’t be torn down. The buyer is DIY and it’s been an unoccupied work in progress for a couple of years.

Dumpsters here are usually a kitchen & bath remodel. If you have to do windows, doors, wiring, insulation, plumbing, and HVAC, people just knock it down and start over.

One was a total gut job. Every room was touched along with a fancy open-concept kitchen and finishing the basement. Was taken down to studs with new electrical. I toured the house during the open house, and was invited in by our new neighbors. They are still pouring money into it but it ended up being a very nice house.

2nd house is still under construction. From what i can tell, it's a kitchen, but they took out a dividing wall and put in a cathedral ceiling over the kitchen/living room area. Not a cheap job considering the wall they took out was load-bearing. It's also at least one bathroom. Still ongoing, but my wife knows the new owners, so I assume i'll get to check it out down the road.

About 5 years ago, a house in the same neighborhood sold for $350K. It was a gut job in the sense that they took the entire roof off the house and left up 4 studded outer walls on the foundation and started over. Essentially they built a new house on the existing foundation. Beautiful house today.

Old 02-22-2022, 12:40 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Like everywhere, inventory is really low and prices are runaway. Pre-pandemic, I looked at this building at a unit with much nicer finishings (no carpet, for instance) and on the top floor so the windows didn't look into neighboring apartments. In fall of 2019, that condo was listed at 280K and it was one of the more expensive condos in the city. This less desirable unit is currently listed for 345K.
That unit is already at 96 DOM and the full text say no renting so finding an interested buyer is going to be tough. Reckon it sells for a lot less than 345k and they will eat a lot of HOA fees.

Old 02-22-2022, 01:21 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Remember when being a millionaire was the almost impossible dream? Man, that evaporated fast!

When someone has to qualify for a $1 million mortgage to get a middle class home in decent shape that is somewhat near the city - man, that is just insane.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:00 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
One was a total gut job. Every room was touched along with a fancy open-concept kitchen and finishing the basement. Was taken down to studs with new electrical. I toured the house during the open house, and was invited in by our new neighbors. They are still pouring money into it but it ended up being a very nice house.
Having done one of those on a smaller scale, I still don’t understand the math. You’re describing $400k+ worth of remodeling paying inside-495 labor rates. So they have well north of $1 million into the house. How does that compare to similar houses in the neighborhood? I’m assuming that it also needed windows & doors plus the usual remediation of problems that pop up every time you open up a wall.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,218,337 times
A new cheapest champion in Waltham: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M43059-68422

Last purchase for $375K in May 2017. Now selling for $619K.

The unfortunate thing is, I could totally see someone buying it quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts