Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 09:10 PM

145 posts, read 189,032 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Apologies for the millionth thread on where to buy a house, but these always seem to get such helpful responses so I thought I'd try my luck!

My wife and I are early 30s, recently had a baby, and we are looking to buy a home in the area. My wife's office is near South Station and my office is in Burlington. We are both working from home now but expect to commute 2-3 days a week post-pandemic. Our budget is $1.2M and we are hoping to find a 3+ bedroom (ideally 4+) single-family home.

Our top choice town was initially Winchester, but I've come to realize that we are unlikely to find a house in our price range that suits our needs. Haven't totally ruled it out, but not counting on it.

But Arlington and Melrose both seem like great towns and a bit more affordable than Winchester. Things that matter to us are:
- school quality: doesn't need to be "best", but at least "very good"
- safety / low-crime, family-friendly
- house: as noted looking for 3+/4+ bedrooms, in good/move-in ready shape, for up to $1.2M.
- within 15 minute walk of a downtown or some area with restaurants, shops, etc, but the house itself should be on a quiet street
- a little bit of space.. not looking for a sprawling McMansion, but definitely don't want the Cambridge/Somerville packed-like-sardines vibe either – I've paid my dues in those cities! Guess we're aiming for a quasi-suburban feel
- commute: even though we probably won't be going into the office 5 days a week, it's still a factor for both of us

I look forward to reading your advice!

And if there's another town I missed that fits the bill I'd love to hear it. I should say we also looked briefly at Reading, Wakefield, Stoneham, and Woburn; based on our research so far, in terms of school quality, downtown charm, and commute we are leaning toward Arlington or Melrose, but if I've misjudged any of these other towns please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 11:24 PM

349 posts, read 320,720 times
Looks like you're quite familiar already. Burlington with a south station pair is a bit awkward. Arlington is a natural choice with the red line and route 2 to Burlington. Otherwise, I was looking at the Woburn area near the Anderson station.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:31 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Have you considered Burlington itself? It ticks all your boxes except the 15 walk to a downtown area. As your child gets older, that cute downtown becomes less important vis a vis soccer fields and basketball courts.

The 354 bus runs from Burlington to State St. which is near South Station or the commuter rail in Wilmington to North Station is an option.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Have you considered Burlington itself? It ticks all your boxes except the 15 walk to a downtown area. As your child gets older, that cute downtown becomes less important vis a vis soccer fields and basketball courts.

The 354 bus runs from Burlington to State St. which is near South Station or the commuter rail in Wilmington to North Station is an option.
We considered Burlington briefly, but as you mentioned the lack of a walkable downtown was a turn off, and also the commute time for my wife.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:45 PM

223 posts, read 156,456 times
You won’t find anything decent for 1.2 in Winchester, Arlington or Melrose(possibly) with 4 bed;

Cheapest in Arlington
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56402169_zpid/

Cheapest in Winchester ( kind of a dump)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56378802_zpid/

Melrose schools are iffy, better to stretch the budget and get something in Arlington/Winchester

Old 04-13-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
You won’t find anything decent for 1.2 in Winchester, Arlington or Melrose(possibly) with 4 bed;

Cheapest in Arlington
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56402169_zpid/

Cheapest in Winchester ( kind of a dump)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...56378802_zpid/
I'm hoping more inventory will come on the market as we get into the prime of spring and summer... But also we are willing to settle for a "3+" bed – by which I mean it has a 4th room that could be used as an office even if it doesn't technically qualify as a bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Cobb View Post
Melrose schools are iffy, better to stretch the budget and get something in Arlington/Winchester
Thanks for the insight, just curious what are you basing that on? I'm not personally familiar with the Melrose school system but greatschools.org gives them good ratings, so I am surprised to hear that.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:20 PM

223 posts, read 156,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingotherthings View Post
I'm hoping more inventory will come on the market as we get into the prime of spring and summer... But also we are willing to settle for a "3+" bed – by which I mean it has a 4th room that could be used as an office even if it doesn't technically qualify as a bedroom.

Thanks for the insight, just curious what are you basing that on? I'm not personally familiar with the Melrose school system but greatschools.org gives them good ratings, so I am surprised to hear that.
Good luck with inventory, and being outbid, especially in those areas.

Depends where you buy in Melrose, some of the schools are really good and some are average. If I’m going to spend 1.2-1.5 I’d want to make sure they are solid.

Arlington and Winchester are a sure thing. Belmont is another good spot, but pricey as well.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:06 AM

604 posts, read 561,242 times
I'm seeing listings pop up in Melrose. You can get a steal on a beautiful large victorian there. You'd be looking at maybe twice the price in the western suburbs. Schools can't be so much worse. I wish I could talk my SO into moving there.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:03 PM

38 posts, read 23,312 times
Have you considered Medford?

Old 04-14-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnduh View Post
Have you considered Medford?
The Medford school system is not rated as highly. But I don't have personal experience with it, so certainly open to hearing other opinions on that.

Driving through Medford, there were at least a couple parts that seemed nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts