Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 26,053 times

Advertisements

Here's our situation. We've lived in Melrose for close to 9 years, bought two houses and npw have two young kids, one about to enter kindergarden. We love the town--specifically the access to Boston, the quaint downtown, and the old Victorian homes. What has us worried is the quality of the schools. While the adminstration is making steps to improve the schools (and the high school), the just don't rank as high as I would like for my tax dollars. And while there is a lot of talk/speculation about whether things are going in the right direction, I'm not sure whether to ride it out or and try to buy in Reading, Winchester, or Arlington?

And with $525K (which is the top of our budget for our similar 3 bedroom/2 bath), we'd likely be looking at a starter home in Arlington/Winchester. Maybe not? So that leaves us with Reading, which just doesn't have the same appeal (personally) as Melrose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,013 times
Stay where you are.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM

387 posts, read 916,073 times
Melrose is such a lovely town that it's a shame to leave over the schools, which are good but not "fantastic." A few of the grade schools (particularly Winthrop) have excellent reputations and top test scores. If your kids will go to one of those schools, you're unlikely to do much better in Reading.

Have you tried getting your oldest into Mystic Valley Regional Charter? It runs through high school, and once you have one kid in, the rest of your children are given top priority.

Arlington is a town I've tried to love so many times and just can't. The houses are on top of one another, sited poorly, and lack good architecture. Not everyone agrees with me, of course -- Arlington is wildly popular. If you find a neighborhood you like, there are 3 bed/2 baths to be had for $550 there.

In Winchester, you'd pretty much be buying one of the cheapest houses in town. More important (in my opinion), your kids would be competing for resources with families who have gobs of money. A town like that ends up costing money in ways you wouldn't expect -- the school band goes to Paris, so your kid has to come up with the money or be left out; preteen girls wear designer clothes; the other kids get private tutors for tough subjects while your kid struggles. These things add up fast and can make life miserable.

Since you lose thousands by moving (staging, real estate agent fees, down payment, closing costs, furniture to fit the new place, etc.), you'd probably do better to save that money to supplement your kids' education as needed in the future.

Last edited by donewithpretty; 06-03-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 04:38 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,735,059 times
I own rental property in Arlington & for $525k you can get more than a starter home there if you are careful. Example: house next to mine sold at $485k. Beautiful 1600 sqft colonial with 2 baths, a new kitchen, sunroom & garage in the Heights. The schools are excellent & it's easy to get around Boston from there. Any questions about Arlington ask away. As for Winchester.....it's almost impossible to find a decent house in your price range. Good Luck

Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 PM

Thanks.

Done with pretty: We have tried unsuccessfully to get into Mystic Valley Charter. That certainly would have solved our problem. I have some issue with all the towns I mention, which is why this is such a conundrum. You bring up an interesting point about the entering a different socioeconomic tier with a town like a Winchester. Wouldn't that be the same though if we had to put our kids in private high school?

What about Reading? It doesn't quite have the charm as Melrose but their high school ranks better.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:26 PM

387 posts, read 916,073 times
Anna, my sister lives in Reading (and her kids go to the "best" grade school and middle school). She complains about the middle school all the time, but parents in the district seem very happy with the high school.

Reading also has easy access to lots of shopping, major highways, kid-friendly neighborhoods, and some transit. What it doesn't have is much in the way of diversity, walkability, or charm. On the other hand, you'd get a better yard.

Although I see your point about private high school, if you're going to spend out for schooling that's the time to do it, as the "right" schools work hard to get their students into the best colleges. Also, you may find that the Melrose public high school is up to your standards by the time your kids are old enough.

I actually think a 7/10 public school can be better than a 10/10 public school for many smart kids because they get a chance to shine as opposed to being piled in with all the other 99%ers.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Stay if you are Happy or maybe Arlington since intrest rates now are so low.
School is what maybe the parent and children make it and not all up to the teacher.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:17 PM

940 posts, read 1,935,426 times
Watch this movie - A Race to Nowhere

Last edited by konfetka; 06-03-2012 at 08:40 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Brave Stranger: Do you think it's possible to get a home with our budget in Arlington in the east side or is that impossible? I have some seen some houses in the highlands but I work in the Back Bay and the commute seems tough from there. The schools are better than Melrose but I'll be giving up some of the things I like about where I live now. I don't want to overpay just to get "in" to Arlington.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,735,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna72 View Post
Brave Stranger: Do you think it's possible to get a home with our budget in Arlington in the east side or is that impossible? I have some seen some houses in the highlands but I work in the Back Bay and the commute seems tough from there. The schools are better than Melrose but I'll be giving up some of the things I like about where I live now. I don't want to overpay just to get "in" to Arlington.
Single homes in East Arlington, in general, are a little cheaper in that part of town than in most of the rest of Arlington. It might save you 10 minutes to live there instead of Arlington Heights. or the center of town. The 78 bus runs from Arlington Heights to the red-line in Alwife station in Cambridge & it only takes about 12 minutes down Route 2 to get there, so I would be careful not to restrict your home search to just East Arlington.

As for home prices.....your budget of $525k will get you more than a starter home in Arlington. No place is perfect, but the Arlington school system is on the rise, and Arlington home values, believe it or not, are on the rise again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts