Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2022, 07:27 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Absolutely. If you're only moving once every 10 years then it's possible your agent may be out of the business the next time you move. The failure rate in this business makes the restaurant industry look easy to succeed in.

This being said, the statistics on the amount of research the average consumer does on the agent they end up hiring are shocking. A massive percentage of consumers end up hiring the first agent they talk to (the exact statistic escapes me right now but it represents a majority). Many other people hire an agent because they're a friend or a relative. That's all well and good but just because you know and like them doesn't mean they know what they're doing.
I interviewed several agents before picking one and before scheduling a phone call asked each of them to send a list of their transactions from the prior 12 months. That request alone scared a few agents off, including one that was a "friend". Does this mean I'd be a difficult client? Maybe...but it seems imprudent not to do this kind of research for what's probably the biggest purchase someone will ever make in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 04:13 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
I interviewed several agents before picking one and before scheduling a phone call asked each of them to send a list of their transactions from the prior 12 months. That request alone scared a few agents off, including one that was a "friend". Does this mean I'd be a difficult client? Maybe...but it seems imprudent not to do this kind of research for what's probably the biggest purchase someone will ever make in their lives.
You should definitely do your research.

The one thing I'll say is that many people in the public get too hung up on quantity of transactions and don't pay any attention to quality of work. Another reason why those who are often on the top of the heap stay there even though they don't really deserve your business.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:37 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
https://www.redfin.com/MA/West-Newto.../home/11442295

How about this one in West Newton. Not on the market for long but they did recently cut the price to just under 2 mill. That's lot to ask of course and that's probably the main problem even though I like the look. The other problem is that you're getting a tad close to the bad part of Waltham and the area itself looks a bit dumpy. All the houses in the immediate area aren't anywhere near as nice and that can be troublesome.

Old 04-07-2022, 07:13 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Doesn’t surprise me that a house like that would sell for 2 mil in Newton. It’s quite nice on the inside (don’t care for the outside), it’s almost 3000 so ft and it’s in Newton.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:12 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.redfin.com/MA/West-Newto.../home/11442295

How about this one in West Newton. Not on the market for long but they did recently cut the price to just under 2 mill. That's lot to ask of course and that's probably the main problem even though I like the look. The other problem is that you're getting a tad close to the bad part of Waltham and the area itself looks a bit dumpy. All the houses in the immediate area aren't anywhere near as nice and that can be troublesome.
I'm surprised that house is as low as it is. Yeah, the area isn't as nice as some parts of Newton, but it's not bad.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm surprised that house is as low as it is. Yeah, the area isn't as nice as some parts of Newton, but it's not bad.
Can't appreciate the dumpiness of the area from the pics. Was a good idea to do the grassy fence.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:42 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Can't appreciate the dumpiness of the area from the pics. Was a good idea to do the grassy fence.
I've driven through that area a number of times, but I'll have to make a special trip to drive by this house.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:40 AM

Mortgage rates are getting close to 5% for a 30 year.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:57 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
While not seeing any increase in inventory, it does seem like prices are starting to cool or maybe even come down in some cases (compared to a few months ago).
I've noticed that as well. I've been tracking my general area, but it doesn't appear like a whole lot of inventory hitting the market and pricing seems to be stalling.

Old 04-13-2022, 12:06 PM

I have seen places where if it doesn't sell immediately there's a price cut after like a week or two. Feels a bit rash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts