Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:06 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 4 days ago)

6,836 posts, read 6,108,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Trump is a racist and inspires racism to be expressed far more in the open because:
“Good people on both sides” during the KKK marches through Charlottesville in 2017. Refusal to denounce white supremacy in the presidential debate. A platform initially built on the promise to keep brown people out. Tried back in March to get people to call covid “Chinese virus”. Former grandmaster, David Duke literally endorsed him.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:23 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,161,955 times
Quote:
And how, specifically, has he done that? I hear and see this statement all the time, but there are never any specific incidents or examples used. So, how has he made it far more acceptable for racism to be expressed in the open? In what ways? And not in broad media-inspired talking points. Give examples.

Trump is a racist and inspires racism to be expressed far more in the open because:
He literally ran an ethno-liberal populist ... small L liberalism. His former campaign manager, Bannon, has been blindingly transparent about this and was channeling similar rhetoric well before he and Trump teamed up. It's white nationalism which is why, rather unsurprisingly, his demographic numbers are what they are.

Stick N.C.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:26 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,338,159 times
Quote:
And how, specifically, has he done that? I hear and see this statement all the time, but there are never any specific incidents or examples used. So, how has he made it far more acceptable for racism to be expressed in the open? In what ways? And not in broad media-inspired talking points. Give examples.

Because he's given it tacit validation. When saying racist crap got you relegated to the nutjob table and your family would avoid you, people tended to keep their mouths shut about their inner racism. When having racist beliefs openly meant you belonged to a club of maybe 5 people in your town, leaving you feeling very very very alone in your beliefs, you kept them to yourself. Nobody in any position of authority or respect would be seen with you or condone your beliefs -- to borrow from Savannah, the only people who shared their thoughts were crazy uncles.

With social media platforms, these idiots can now spew their verbal vomit in a forum and have tens of thousands of idiots just like them nod and validate them. With the leader of one of the most powerful nations on earth not only not condemning them, but recognizing them as equals with those whom they hate, they've just gotten a prestigious endorsement.

A big reason North Korea wanted to talk to the Trump wasn't to end nuclear testing or bridge international relations. It was because they recognized a sucker when they saw one, and this sucker was in a position such that his mere meeting with you gives you recognition. The reason past presidents didn't meet with him in person is that the mere act of meeting is recognizing North Korea as legitimate, so they weren't going to do so without solid concessions being made before-hand. Trump willingly handed over that recognition to Kim for little more than a photo op and a headline.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:52 PM

16,907 posts, read 8,579,415 times
Default re

Quote:

I agree. If we really want to point fingers on who created this division in our country it was obama. He was the one who made comments like, trayvon martin could have been my son and really brought policing killings of only black men into the spotlight. But really police killings have been going on for centuries. I dont recall them every being discussed the way we discuss them now until Obama. Race baiting, fueling hate.

I also think social media has fueled a lot of hate. We didn't have facebook on the level that we do now with other presidents. I joined facebook in 2007...i know plenty of people that joined later. The amount of hate and division on facebook and twitter is exhausting. Before social media we didn't have these nasty conversations online about other presidents.

Last edited by msRB311; 10-16-2020 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: re

Old 10-16-2020, 04:29 PM

5,175 posts, read 2,749,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Have you been to the Politics/Controversies section of the forum lately? If not, I suggest you visit and ask the what their definition of liberal is since they're the ones who use the label to direct their fury.

Oh, well I was asking you because you made the post in which you used it. Personally, I think the term no longer really means anything outside a serious, informed discussion of politics. Extremists on the left hide behind it as a euphemism and extreme right uses it to describe anyone to the left of David Koresh. Means nothing in most web based forums like this.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 10-16-2020 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
How shameful! A true patriot would’ve damaged the car, not the person! That’s why our great Lord in Heaven invented keys!

Destroying others property is what slimeballs do

Old 10-16-2020, 05:15 PM

14,289 posts, read 14,856,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Absolutely agree. As a person of color, I'll concede that Trump didn't invent racism, but he has made it far more acceptable to be expressed in the open. Hence the incident in question, while inexcusable, is not a surprise.
I agree. He encourage racism, sexism, violence if in support for his cause, and conspiracy theories. He has done far more harm than good.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I agree. If we really want to point fingers on who created this division in our country it was obama. He was the one who made comments like, trayvon martin could have been my son and really brought policing killings of only black men into the spotlight. But really police killings have been going on for centuries. I dont recall them every being discussed the way we discuss them now until Obama. Race baiting, fueling hate.

I also think social media has fueled a lot of hate. We didn't have facebook on the level that we do now with other presidents. I joined facebook in 2007...i know plenty of people that joined later. The amount of hate and division on facebook and twitter is exhausting. Before social media we didn't have these nasty conversations online about other presidents.

https://news.yahoo.com/gallup-report...183441052.html

Old 10-16-2020, 09:00 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

I would argue the divison was well before that. For example Bush years were almost as polarized as now EVEN WITHOUT widespread use of social media. If tech had been in the same place at the time it would have either been an absolute ****show or things couldn't have happened like they did and history would have been significantly different.

I think the thing is that most national level politians want division. They want it to activate voters. They also want to use it to distract from more serious issues and basically get away with more when voters aren't paying attention.

One party tells us America is the greatest place on God's green Earth and the greatest that will ever come to pass just the way it's always been.

The other party tells us that we're deeply misguided and that we need to atone as a nation for our sins.

Imo the difference between those two narritives is the core of the divison. Those two worldviews are much more difficult to reconcile than disagreements on policy

Old 10-16-2020, 09:04 PM

5,977 posts, read 2,915,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Destroying others property is what slimeballs do
Or members marching in BLM.
Ok its not blm its supporters of blm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts