Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 07:19 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times

Advertisements

I’ve noticed a lot of people in my area wearing masks and rubber gloves when out. I haven’t really been going anywhere but the masks and gloves still seem weird to me to go to the grocery store. My husband has been going and he just gets what we need quickly, doesn’t go near anyone and uses self check out.

He said last weekend at the grocery store a woman coughed and another woman nearby yelled oh hell no get that sh@t outta here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 07:20 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
There's more herd immunity in urban areas and less medical resources in rural area. History has shown us that rural areas always fair worse in epidemics.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:26 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I just crossed that milestone today and had a mini-celebration with myself. But yeah, this is only good until the next exposure. It's a matter of making quick infrequent dashes into grocery stores & pharmacies for the next several weeks (I do wear a mask & gloves, but still)...
Many of my co workers have been off for two weeks at this point so when they call me freaking out I will be able to calm them.

I think most people who have it will probably have developed symptoms by now...

Old 03-29-2020, 08:06 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
Default Ee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There's more herd immunity in urban areas and less medical resources in rural area. History has shown us that rural areas always fair worse in epidemics.
I saw people on a Facebook group complaining that people are throwing the gloves on the ground. Masks too. I haven’t seen any of that.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’ve noticed a lot of people in my area wearing masks and rubber gloves when out. I haven’t really been going anywhere but the masks and gloves still seem weird to me to go to the grocery store. My husband has been going and he just gets what we need quickly, doesn’t go near anyone and uses self check out.

He said last weekend at the grocery store a woman coughed and another woman nearby yelled oh hell no get that sh@t outta here!!
Out in the Orient everyone wears masks during times like this. The SARS experience back in 2003 taught them to take no chances. Most of the people I see wearing masks and gloves are fellow Asian Americans like myself so I set a cultural rule to wear the same masks and gloves when shopping at an Asian grocery store to 1) fit in and 2) not freak anyone out but not when shopping at Stop and Shop or taking a walk around my neighborhood. I might change my attitude when shopping at Stop and Shop though just to be safe but I'll wait and see if more shoppers do the same thing.

Interestingly enough, a doctor from China was recently interviewed saying that masks are useful because it prevents speakers from spitting saliva onto surfaces and other people which makes common sense. Unfortunately as several previous posts have mentioned, we have such a mask shortage right now in this country that authorities are telling us common citizens to defer ordering masks so that the medical community can get them fast. A kind neighbor of ours who already had a supply gave us a few for the time being. So if you can get your hands on at least a small supply, use them sparingly and don't waste them.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:57 AM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I just crossed that milestone today and had a mini-celebration with myself. But yeah, this is only good until the next exposure. It's a matter of making quick infrequent dashes into grocery stores & pharmacies for the next several weeks (I do wear a mask & gloves, but still)...

My concern is my young adult daughter, who is itching to socialize with friends, and may regard her 2-week milestone as an "all clear".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Many of my co workers have been off for two weeks at this point so when they call me freaking out I will be able to calm them.

I think most people who have it will probably have developed symptoms by now...
Arya, isolating for two weeks and not showing any symptoms only suggests that you probably didn't have it prior to isolating. It doesn't mean you won't get it if you go out in public now. There is community spread. And from what I've read, people don't need to cough or sneeze to spread it. The saliva particles released when coughing or sneezing are apparently also released when just talking.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:04 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
^And that doesn't even account for those "carriers" who display no obvious symptoms, of which the magnitude of those we don't yet understand because so few tests have been done. You could have it right now (even after 14 days in isolation), or you could run out to S&S right now and catch it without knowing.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:55 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Well, he's been very cautious until now, but this morning Dr Fauci predicted that the USA will have millions of Covid-19 cases, and 100K-200K fatalities.

https://www.boston.com/news/politics...ly-demand-help

Old 03-29-2020, 10:18 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,302,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Unfortunately it probably will spread all over from NY. Did you see the reports of police and national guards in Rhode Island stopping cars with New York tags? The NYers are fleeing for their lives apparently and will just increase the infection rates in the nearby states.
Selfish, extremely selfish behavior. By living in New York, they endorse what happens in New York for better or worse. They should be forced to stay there and face the music.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:21 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Terrible! I hope my cat doesn't get this.
It would appear that pets that tested positive (I think it's been two) were infected by their owners kissing them, petting them with virus hands, etc. As far as I know, it's not in their systems. A nasal swab was positive for a little old Pomerainian in Hong Kong and it was determined that it was a "weak" reading and likely to have come from someone kissing the dog's nose. The dog died three days later from old-age natural causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts