Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 12:07 PM

25 posts, read 171,142 times

Advertisements

It looks like we'll be moving to Shrewsbury in June. My girls (ages almost 3 and 1) have never seen the ocean. What's the nearest beach where I can allow them to explore nature (not necessarily swim but just dig in the sand and chase gulls)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
There are literally probably millions of pictures of me as a child on Crane's Beach in Ipswitch. It's a nice big beach and definitely has a family feel. Plus there's a gorgeous mansion (called Crane's Castle) and grounds to explore as well. I think it's a state park so it's not all built up- there's a snack bar, changing cabins, and that sort of thing but no hotels or restaurants or anything.

I'd just stay away from the beaches nearest to the NH line like Hampton Beach which are more commercial. They tend to get really crazy crowded as well.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
Welcome to MA!

Crane's is a lovely beach. Be careful of the green flies there - I'm not sure what time of year they come but they sting. I think they're on there a few weeks of the year though.

Another nice choice is the beaches in Brewster because it's on the bay side so the tide isn't rough and you can see all kinds of fun critters at low tide. They do a nice nature tour for kids called Mudflat Mania.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I would love to see the look on your children's faces when they see the ocean for the first time! Cranes Beach is my favorite beach in Massachusetts (though I don't know the south shore beaches to be quite honest...) Wonderful sandy beach, if I remember correctly it's carry in/carry out. They have a yearly sand sculpture competition, lots of fun but very crowded. The parking lot limits the number of beachgoers, once it's full, it's full.

As noted, Hampton Beach a little further north in New Hampshire, is more commercial, with a strip of fast food, "penny" arcades, and lots of t-shirt, souvenir shops, etc. A beautiful beach though, usually clean, parking in many lots & parking meters. There is also a playground with swings, slides, seasaws, and other climbing and playing structures. My favorite place if I'm heading to Hampton is to visit Hampton Beach State Park, with bathrooms, showers, picnic tables, and a "beach store" for those forgotten or emergency items. There are jetty rocks to climb, and at low tide the big and little kids can find crabs, starfish and snails.

Check out the sand sculpture competitions at Cranes:
http://www.windweaver.com/sandcastles/sandcastles6.htm

And Hampton (every year I am more amazed...):
Sandcastles Festivals photos by Tracy Marks Hampton Beach Crane Beach Massachusetts sand sculpture
2002-http://www.sandcastlecentral.com/contests/hampton02web/
2005- Hampton Beach, New Hampshire - Annual Sandcastle Competition Photo Gallery
2006- Hampton Beach, New Hampshire - Annual Sandcastle Competition Photo Gallery
2007- Hampton Beach, New Hampshire - Annual Sandcastle Competition Photo Gallery

Last edited by Valerie C; 03-10-2008 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: added sand sculpture links

Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,019 times
Mariolatry,

If you get the chance to get to the beach early in the season, remember I said early in the season, like late June, because it gets crazy everywhere not just in southern NH and Cape Cod or Cape Ann! There's a place that people I work with that have kids love to go to. It's the Salisbury Beach State Reservation. I actually thought they were kidding me, because it never used to be that great over there. So one day we took a ride over to see what the heck they were talking about. It's absolutely awesome there now, wait till you see it. In fact, you'd have to see it to believe it. If you have kids it's perfect for a day trip and I mean just perfect, that's why these people with little ones love it there so much.

They have a brand new playground for them there. An incredibly awesome Boardwalk that goes over the sand dunes. They have clean, safe bathroom facilities that are immaculate & very well maintained. PLUS it's only $7 to park for the day, you can't beat it with a stick. You'd probably pay $20 in Gloucester for this type of a place and actually this State Reservation is better, in my book. According to my co-workers, it's very very nice for the little ones at low tide, so remember that! It's got the clear clear water there and it's not too cold either. Plus, there's plenty of space for the kids to run around, they'd have a blast there I'm sure. It's 3.8 miles of the most incredible white sandy beach that you'd really have to see, to believe. This place isn't over at the main beach at all, it's another entrance just before you get to Salisbury Beach itself, so remember the directions for it. I'll copy & paste them here for you, below my spiel about it. Oh and also there's grills there too and all that. The day we went over to check it out? It was this past winter (off season of course) and it was the most beautiful Sunday morning and there were horse back riders trotting along the beach. What a sight. They looked like something out of a magazine or in a movie! It was just so awesome to see. I had heard they were over there from this City-Data site and I was psyched that we finally got to witness seeing this breathtaking sight!

Here's more info for the Salisbury State Reservation with directions below it:

Salisbury Beach is one of the state's more popular ocean beaches stretching for 3.8 miles along the Atlantic Ocean. This 521-acre park offers swimming, boating, fishing and camping, and is very popular with trailer campers.

Facilities include a 481-site campground with newly renovated bathhouses, an extensive day-use parking lot, three new comfort stations for the beach going public with over the dune boardwalks, and a new playground and pavilion area. The facility also has two boat ramps that are located on the Merrimack River at the campground's southern edge.

In the fall and winter, harbor seals often sun themselves on the jetty. The town of Salisbury has many fun activities to offer for kids of all ages; with a large amusement park and video arcades, close by.

Directions:
Salisbury Beach is located on the coast of north-eastern Massachusetts.
From Rte. 95: Take exit 58A to Newburyport and the intersection with Rte. 110 east. Follow Rte. 110 East to Salisbury and the intersection with Rte. 1a North. Turn right on Rte. 1a and follow it 2 miles to the Park entrance on the right.

From Rte. 495: Take Rte. 495 to exit 55 and the intersection with Rte. 110. Follow Rte 110 East to Salisbury and the intersection with Rte. 1a north. Follow Rte. 1a north approximately 2 miles to the Park entrance on the right.

Last edited by CityGirl52; 03-11-2008 at 08:25 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
We used to go to Old Orchard Beach, back in the day it wasn't as crowded. It was a bit of a drive.

You might also take them to the lake in Sterling, I used to live on the road leading down to the lake, I think its called Lake Washakum, not sure if I'm spelling it right.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:31 AM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
I agree on Crane's Beach. However, keep in mind that you will have to pay an entrance fee for that, which keeps it less crowded. I also like Singing Beach in Manchester by the Sea. It is small but quite nice.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
Crane's is a lovely beach. Be careful of the green flies there - I'm not sure what time of year they come but they sting. I think they're on there a few weeks of the year though.
Oops I forgot about the green flies! I went last year in late July/ early August and there were no flies. I think they mostly occur in late June- anyone know? Or know the range?

Also, a bit more a haul would be the Boston Harbor Islands. I haven't been there yet, but I *think* the shuttle boat is free (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) and your kids would get to ride a boat and watch the planes take off as well!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:42 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Greenheads are usually around the last couple of weeks of July into the first week of August. This is general, could shift by a couple of days depending on weather patterns. Skin So Soft works to help repel them. I always keep SSS in my tote bag in summer months, it works against so many of the flying and biting insectoids! It's an Avon product, but I don't think it's advertised as a bug repellent, it just works!!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:34 PM

25 posts, read 171,142 times
Thanks everyone! After years of living in the Midwest (and now Denver), I'm excited at the prospect of having interesting things with driving distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts