Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,272 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are looking to commit to a home purchase, and narrowing down towns that will work for our situation has been daunting. He owns his own business based out of Worcester and I work in Charlestown which is a neighborhood above the financial district and North End. We are not changing ours jobs as we both make good money and wouldn't be as fortunate as we are in other locations. We have needed to find something in the middle understanding I will bear the brunt of suffering with a commute. We are looking in Framingham, Northborough, Westborough, and Marlborough. We are looking to stay around 400K as this will be our first home together and we do not have children, yet. We are seeing some very nice 5-7 yr homes, but at that price what we can get in Leominster is on an entirely different level. I do not have to be in my office from 9-5 and can alter my hours to begin my day at 8 or 10 and end at 4 or 6-7. When timing the commute for route 2 to Leominster vs the pike to the other above towns using Google maps during the times I would actually be commuting the time is the same, and sometimes 5-15 minutes less to Leominster. Mileage doesn't concern me as much as the time I'll be sitting in my vehicle which appears to be at an hour at those times. My fiancé and family's concern is that route 2 is unsafe compared to the pike and that even though I've been tracking the commute with traffic include d for a couple months now, it might not be accurate. Clearly if it snows badly I will not be having to drive into work . I'm trying to get confirmation or opinions regarding this commute from someone who actually does it. My struggle since I've actually done the commute from my office to the other towns is getting from Charlestown to the pike/95 intersection where rt 2 is much easier to get to. Is the difference in "bang for your buck" worth the commute to Leominster? Is the commute on route 2 worse than I'm thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 PM

279 posts, read 508,210 times
That's a terrible commute to Charlestown. If you commute at 8 it's still pretty bad. With no traffic maybe an hour. With regular traffic 90 minutes each way on good days. It has taken me up to 2:30 hours if there's accidents.

Route 2 can be a nightmare (especially once you hit concord). Solar glare seems to be the cause for most of it because you drive in and out when the sun is in front of you.

I use to work in the field and Charlestown was one of the areas I would work at frequently.

But if you alter for 10 it would be around that hour mark. Good luck

I can't tell you if Rt 2 is more unsafe than the Pike though.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,238,382 times
Do not do it. Your commute will be no picnic even from town closer in. Bigger house is not worth it. Also, Leominster is cheaper for a good reason.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:48 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
A smaller, older house in a place like Framingham would be a better choice.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:22 AM

550 posts, read 679,902 times
Framingham, Natick, Maynard would be a better choice. Off course the house will be smaller but I would be a smaller home in a better location than a larger home in a not so desirable neighborhood

Old 07-18-2015, 01:47 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
Concord has become a commute nightmare over the last 15 years or so, with the rotary and barrage of traffic lights on Route 2, plus the effect of people being pushed to populate the outer fringes of the Metro area due to the housing bubble. I wouldn't recommend the commute. If you were going to try locating in Leominster, the Fitchburg commuter rail line would be best bet for getting in rather than driving, but that's no picnic either timewise. Also yes, Route 2 is a heinous road with an identity crisis - a freeway leaving Alewife/Arlington/Cambridge, a traffic-light obstacle course culminating at an outmoded rotary through Concord where you think you're free but nope you have two more traffic lights, then almost a real highway out to Leominster but with the shortest on-ramps known to man, then culminating at Leominster/Fitchburg with bogus 90-degree right-hand turns off the divided highway in between exits (Abbott Ave, Mt Elam Road, Oak Hill Rd). Plus solar glare at commute hours. It's a wonderful example of how bureaucracy (state-level) and NIMBYism (Concord and Lincoln's refusal to permit a real highway disrupt their faux-rural Mayberrys) can work together to inconvenience the most possible people.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:57 PM

404 posts, read 526,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Concord has become a commute nightmare over the last 15 years or so, with the rotary and barrage of traffic lights on Route 2, plus the effect of people being pushed to populate the outer fringes of the Metro area due to the housing bubble. I wouldn't recommend the commute. If you were going to try locating in Leominster, the Fitchburg commuter rail line would be best bet for getting in rather than driving, but that's no picnic either timewise. Also yes, Route 2 is a heinous road with an identity crisis - a freeway leaving Alewife/Arlington/Cambridge, a traffic-light obstacle course culminating at an outmoded rotary through Concord where you think you're free but nope you have two more traffic lights, then almost a real highway out to Leominster but with the shortest on-ramps known to man, then culminating at Leominster/Fitchburg with bogus 90-degree right-hand turns off the divided highway in between exits (Abbott Ave, Mt Elam Road, Oak Hill Rd). Plus solar glare at commute hours. It's a wonderful example of how bureaucracy (state-level) and NIMBYism (Concord and Lincoln's refusal to permit a real highway disrupt their faux-rural Mayberrys) can work together to inconvenience the most possible people.
TREMENDOUS POST. Cheerio

Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,401 times
Default Shirley, Ma?

Have you considered Shirley Ma? It is on the train line and it stops in North Station (then 1/2 mile to Charlestown). Bring a book and relax. There are relatively low property taxes, clean air, friendly people. we bought a 3 family there and will be selling it soon-it pays for itself. We don't regret our move here.

Last edited by SupportiveBlab; 07-19-2015 at 08:10 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 06:34 PM

33 posts, read 45,026 times
I live in Leominster, just two miles north of the Commuter line. Leominster housing is affordable and you can get a new, modern house for a good price. Right now I work in Bedford and a lot of what has been said about route 2 is true. However, if you can take the Commuter line into Boston Leominster can work very well for you.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:23 AM

187 posts, read 217,116 times
I think in a few years you would regret the decision, I suggest Framingham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts