Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:48 PM

27 posts, read 46,037 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
We have a budget of 500K and based on that we are deciding on a town north of boston. Looking at available inventory with this limited budget we have a chance to find something in in Burlington or Melrose (reading? but we have omitted stoneham/wakefield)

Could someone chime in about schools in these towns? Is one better that other? How about diversity?

Pros for Burlington
1> newer/bigger house in same budget
2> tax base low
Cons
1> commute- to boston

Pros for Melrose
1> commute to Boston/Cambridge
2> downtown
Cons
1>older homes
2> congested bad roads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 02:32 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Burlington schools are better, no question.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:07 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
The "rankings" put Burlington schools higher than Melrose. What that really means is anyone's guess.

As a parent of two kids that have gone through or are in the Burlington schools, I have to say that we have been very happy. The district is very tech savvy having assigned iPads to every student - teachers and students are encouraged to use them in class as learning tools. Art and music are not afterthoughts. The high school marching band numbers over 100 and is one of the few that travel to away football games. The town does not have any fees for busses, sports, music, et al.

The high school offers plenty of AP courses and this year is sending kids to many prestigious schools.

The middle school was renovated and added on to in the past 2 years and the Memorial School was brand new in 2012. The state came to the town as the Memorial School was being built and offered to fund the middle school project immediately as the town was coming in under budget on the Memorial. Both projects were under budget and allowed for the installation of a turf field and outdoor track at the middle school making it one of the few towns with 2 of each.

The town is pretty diverse. There is a large Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern population (12%+ per the census). My kids have a pretty wide range of races/religions/sexual orientations in their groups of friends.

Many people would be surprised that the population is only about 23,000. It's a family friendly town with plenty of recreation opportunities for kids. All the commercial development is at one end of town and that commercial base makes it possible to ensure the residents have a low tax rate and is able to fund the budget without overrides.

The commute to Boston isn't great. My wife takes the commuter rail from Wilmington and she gets into North Station in 30 minutes. I used to drive to Charlestown and it could take 30 minutes or 90 minutes depending on the day.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM

304 posts, read 774,434 times
Burlington schools definitely has more $ than the Melrose schools. Melrose is an entirely residential community with little corporate development, and Burlington sits on the mall and many 128 tech buildings. It does make a big difference in the funding for the schools, which is why Burlington has so many free services. Melrose has an override on the ballot and should it be approved, it should help the funding.

I think you should probably visit each town, as they are very different. If you are an involved parent, your child would do well in either school system. But the towns have very different vibes. Melrose is more urban with a quaint downtown - it is also denser with smaller yards. Burlington is more suburban with a more disperse downtown area. Both have great restaurants, but they are placed differently (in the malls versus on the downtown). I think you should visit the towns and see what one fits the type of house and town you'd like to live in as the reason to choose where you want to live.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:03 PM

27 posts, read 46,037 times
Thanks! B, R and G
I wonder why burlington real estate market is not as hot as surrounding towns! Lack of commuter rail maybe?

Old 06-19-2015, 02:05 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonCollege View Post
Thanks! B, R and G
I wonder why burlington real estate market is not as hot as surrounding towns! Lack of commuter rail maybe?
What makes you say the market in Burlington isn't as hot as surrounding towns?

I'm not in the market so I don't have intimate knowledge. The last two houses that sold in my neighborhood were last year - 1 move in condition that went for over asking in a week and 1 needing work that went for about 15% under asking after 60 days on the market.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:17 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,871 times
Burlington is a sleeper, just like Bedford was about 5 years ago. I would expect re to go much higher in the next decade.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:21 PM

176 posts, read 251,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown_mama View Post
Burlington schools definitely has more $ than the Melrose schools. Melrose is an entirely residential community with little corporate development, and Burlington sits on the mall and many 128 tech buildings. It does make a big difference in the funding for the schools, which is why Burlington has so many free services. Melrose has an override on the ballot and should it be approved, it should help the funding.

I think you should probably visit each town, as they are very different. If you are an involved parent, your child would do well in either school system. But the towns have very different vibes. Melrose is more urban with a quaint downtown - it is also denser with smaller yards. Burlington is more suburban with a more disperse downtown area. Both have great restaurants, but they are placed differently (in the malls versus on the downtown). I think you should visit the towns and see what one fits the type of house and town you'd like to live in as the reason to choose where you want to live.
Beantown_mama,

Are you aware of why Melrose High School generally receives middling marks from the various ranking sites? It feels like Melrose should fair much better considering the general feel of the town, and how well some of its primary schools seem to perform.

Is there something that isn't being accounted for in the metrics (are they just junk)? Or are there particular reasons why Melrose High School only passably serves its students? Do you see things as changing over time for the town?

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:05 AM

466 posts, read 643,944 times
IMO Melrose has always been overrated in terms of its "feel". Never have I seen such a mid-level middle class town put on such airs.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by such sweet thunder View Post
Beantown_mama,

Are you aware of why Melrose High School generally receives middling marks from the various ranking sites? It feels like Melrose should fair much better considering the general feel of the town, and how well some of its primary schools seem to perform.

Is there something that isn't being accounted for in the metrics (are they just junk)? Or are there particular reasons why Melrose High School only passably serves its students? Do you see things as changing over time for the town?

Thanks!

Not Beantown_mama, but I have a hunch the newer families moving in with small children may have a higher education level than some of the long time residents, thus the reason for the schools at the lower grade levels receiving higher marks than the high school. Melrose is Arlington and Natick fifteen years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts