Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 AM

204 posts, read 286,401 times

Advertisements

Yes, thanks 3cents, that is useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
It's interesting to note that some towns have a huge disparity in elementary school rankings, particularly Acton, Arlington, Wayland and Needham.
Acton’s may be because of the school styles - I believe the top 3 are the “traditional” style schools, which probably lend themselves better to test taking, where the other 2 are less structured and more alternative learning based.

You're right about housing for Arlington -- there's a big difference between east and west. I don’t know about Norcross, but Thompson and Hardy are on the east side of town bordering Cambridge, where most of the housing is multifamily, denser, and cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 AM

229 posts, read 384,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Its really sleepy. so if you are looking for any hustle and bustle (think Arlington Center or even Melrose/Wakefield) look elsewhere.
I concur. My wife and I drove around on in Lynnfield during Sunday open houses and didn't really see people nor cars on the streets/roads. Also, since we're Chinese (virtually non-existent in Lynnfield) and my wife is a SAHM, we were worried it'll be too isolating for her.

Anyway, to round up my list of towns, I added the following stats (which I'm personally curious about too, so I thought I'll share them here).

Bedford: $600K
Belmont: $1 million
Lexington: $1 million
Concord: $1 million

Belmont elementary
**Winn Brook : 10
**Mary Lee Burbank : 19
**Roger Wellington : 82
Daniel Butler : 182

Lexington elementary
**Bridge : 8
**Harrington : 15
**Maria Hastings : 18
**Bowman : 29
**Fiske : 52
**Joseph Estabrook : 55

Concord elementary
**Alcott : 16
**Thoreau : 30
**Willward : 37

Bedford elementary
*Lt Job Lane : 137

Final comments:
- Hey, I should think about moving to Belmont's Winn Brook area! It's just right next door from the fresh pond area where I work.
- Where's the Hill area in Belmont anyway?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM

204 posts, read 286,401 times
"The Hill" is the area bordered by Concord Ave, Rt 60, and Rt 2. $1.2m is pretty much the minimum buy-in there, but you can get into Winn Brook for about $700-800k (if you're lucky, and maybe buy in the winter when competition isn't high) in the area between Rt 60 and Channing Rd.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM

560 posts, read 751,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
I concur. My wife and I drove around on in Lynnfield during Sunday open houses and didn't really see people nor cars on the streets/roads. Also, since we're Chinese (virtually non-existent in Lynnfield) and my wife is a SAHM, we were worried it'll be too isolating for her.
My neighbors are Chinese FWIW.

I wonder if you saw this open house and what you thought. It went from on sale to pending in like 5 days.

4 Reedy Rd, Lynnfield, MA 01940 is Off Market | Zillow

i like how the zestimate is $510K

Old 06-24-2015, 02:28 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
Quote:

I know the owners, they were asking $599. That house is turnkey, I bet it went for over asking.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM

560 posts, read 751,536 times
its right around the corner from me. I thought it was going to go for more too. Curious though as they have kids still in school. most people dont move out until after high school.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:51 PM

550 posts, read 680,411 times
Never believe Zillow zestimates since they are always off

Old 06-24-2015, 10:00 PM

229 posts, read 384,667 times
Quote:
My neighbors are Chinese FWIW.

I wonder if you saw this open house and what you thought. It went from on sale to pending in like 5 days.

4 Reedy Rd, Lynnfield, MA 01940 is Off Market | Zillow

My open houses days are long gone. But among the lot this week, personally I would've preferred the one at Juniper.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
Final comments:
- Hey, I should think about moving to Belmont's Winn Brook area! It's just right next door from the fresh pond area where I work.

I grew up there myself. Great area to grow up.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:13 PM

93 posts, read 82,947 times
Hi, I'm bringing back this thread. Just curious if anyone has insights on why the burlington elementary schools are ranked in the 400s and Melrose in the 100s, since burlington is overall ranked as a "better" school system in the Boston Magazine type ratings? What does that big difference mean for the school experience for those kids. Have been looking in Burlington, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts