Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 69,930 times

Advertisements

Are there towns with reasonably priced homes ($250-300 for a 3-bed) that have access to good private schools?

Instead of paying 400K+ for a house in a town like Acton, we're looking for a nice town with low taxes, good town services, and a good private school either in town or nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:27 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
what level school? elementary? high school?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM

elementary ... kids are 3 & 1.5.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Where do you guys work? That will be the deciding factor since you'll need to be somewhat close to your jobs.

I would not recommend buying a house in a more affordable town though. Here's the reasoning: the money you save on buying a cheaper house will most likely not balance out the high cost of a good private school tuition. You'll have to do the math yourself, but I ran several scenarios already and none of them turned out beneficial if you plan on sending your kid to a private school that's actually better than a good public school. Also, a house is an appreciating asset that generally keeps up w/inflation over the long term -- you will get your money back when you decide to sell 10-15 years from now. 12 years of private school tuition is down the drain once your child goes off to college.

Now, if you plan on sending your kids to private school for other reasons, i.e. the prestige or for religious reasons, then that would make a legitimate case for buying a house in a more affordable town.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:47 PM

we'd be split between providence & boston most likely. It'd be a Catholic school, and we'd do public high school.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,239 times
I know Walpole and Norwood both have private catholic elementary schools (don't know how good they are but know people that go there and the kids seem just fine). Now for housing that is another issue. Both towns are more expensive, maybe if you go out a little further like Wrentham or Norfolk or North Attleboro. But that would make the commute harder into Boston. And I agree with Parsec, the commute will probably be the deciding factor unless you don't mind driving well over an house each way. And since you have kids I am sure you care. Most of the towns I mentioned also have train service. Good Luck...I know how hard it is. Did I mention I looked at over 60 house :-)

Last edited by haberstroh; 12-12-2007 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: forget to say "catholic" and spelling

Old 12-12-2007, 03:48 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
In the metro west, I suggest Hudson/Marlborough. Just beware the Catholic school is only a little better than public school.

http://www.stirenes.org/information/school_list.html

St. Michael School
18 High St., Hudson, MA 01749
978-562-2917

Immaculate Conception School
25 Washington Court, Marlboro, MA 01752
508-485-3400

Old 12-12-2007, 04:50 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
I know Walpole and Norwood both have private catholic elementary schools (don't know how good they are but know people that go there and the kids seem just fine). Now for housing that is another issue. Both towns are more expensive, maybe if you go out a little further like Wrentham or Norfolk or North Attleboro. But that would make the commute harder into Boston. And I agree with Parsec, the commute will probably be the deciding factor unless you don't mind driving well over an house each way. And since you have kids I am sure you care. Most of the towns I mentioned also have train service. Good Luck...I know how hard it is. Did I mention I looked at over 60 house :-)
The commute to Boston is easy from Norfolk, but not really to Providence. Besides, Norfolk & Wrentham would be more expensive. North Attleborough would be okay, Mansfield would really be ideal because you can get the train in both directions. I still don't know what kind of house you could get for that price there that wasn't on a main road, or didn't need lots of work. North Attleborough does have a Catholic elementary school, I'm not sure about Mansfield.

I find most people tend to do the opposite - they send their kids to public elementary school, but then they attend a Catholic high school. Most of the elementary schools around here are good, it's usually the upper grades that are not great in some areas.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:09 PM

My experience was a private grade school and public high. Once the child has learned how to study and appreciate academics, I think they can hold their own in a public school, especially with involved parents.

There is a good chance we would both travel to Boston, once we find a town, as there are actually more jobs in Boston than Providence.

The key is affordable. Wretham, N. .Attleboro, Franklin... all are pricey.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:35 PM

240 posts, read 470,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmcneill View Post
My experience was a private grade school and public high. Once the child has learned how to study and appreciate academics, I think they can hold their own in a public school, especially with involved parents.

There is a good chance we would both travel to Boston, once we find a town, as there are actually more jobs in Boston than Providence.

The key is affordable. Wretham, N. .Attleboro, Franklin... all are pricey.
My experience was the same as yours, private then public. I would pick Wrentham, nice town, but not sure about what you can get these days for 250k to 300k. Also, Mansfield is ideally located for the both prov. & boston. Mansfield has a good school system. Rehoboth also has a great school system and is a very nice town. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts