Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 PM

21 posts, read 327,926 times

Advertisements

Being a first time homeowner who used to rent and rely on landlord for heat, this is my first winter that I have to deal with heating. I have oil heat, and just paid about $600 to fill up the tank less than a week ago. Now, in less than a week, we have already used a quarter of oil. My oil tank is about 215- gallon big. That means I am going to use up the whole tank in about 4 weeks. Is this normal?

I have radiant heat, it takes forever for the underground pipes to warm up the whole house. Usually it will have to run 7 to 8 hours before the temp goes from 60 to 70 degree. I am thinking that maybe the pipes are getting old and inefficient, that's why I am using so much oil, a quart of a tank in less than a week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,936 times
That sounds awfully high to me. You might want to check the tag on your furnace to see when the last time it was serviced was. It's important to get them serviced periodically anyway for safety sake.

Also, you can find tips on improving the energy efficiency of your home at Tools & Resources. There are also some Energy Star programs where you can get special incentives and discounts to make your house more energy efficient. For ex, things like blowing in insulation in the attic or wrapping a hot water heater, or installing new windows, etc.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:54 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,624 times
I know it is scary, this is the first time we are heating with Oil. I had my tank filled 1 1/2 weeks ago and used up a quarter already. I am running in the basement every 2 hours to check ;-), my house is always cold because I am afraid to turn up the thermostat and we just agreed to put in new windows for $10000 and installed a fire place door. Our house is not that old and as baseboard heating which seems pretty efficient. Don't know about radiant heat, though. But I used about the same amount as you. How are people supposed to afford this? Not that Gas is cheap, last year in NJ we spent about $350 in the coldest months. But this seems crazy!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:33 PM

21 posts, read 327,926 times
Thanks Scarletfire, last time the furnace was serviced was in June 2006. I am up for a tune-up this coming Wednesday. It is not an awfully old furnace at all, it shouldn't be this bad, right? I am thinking maybe the underground pipes are the problem?

We got new windows, recently. And this happens despite the new windows?

What temp are you guys setting your thermostats at?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:41 PM

739 posts, read 2,187,255 times
I set it at 64 at night when we're sleeping, 68 when we're home in the daytime, 69 or 70 if we're cold or if it's really windy out. Don't set it too low, or it takes more energy to bring the house back up. Keep it relatively steady within your night/day/not home comfort range.

The gauges on an oil tank can be very inaccurate. They're for a rough guess-timate. It's a float gauge on top of the tank, right? If you tap it a few times, maybe with the edge of a butter knife or a pencil (but don't break it) it might be stuck.

You might not be using as much oil as you think. You'll know how much oil you used when they top off your tank next month.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,998,522 times
You also may want to check your thermostat. It may need to be replaced.
Also, I set my thermostat at 60 overnight and if no one is home or I'm by myself. First thing in the am, I "crank" it all the way to 64 and then turn it back down as soon as the kids go to school.
I remember the energy crisis when I was a kid and got used to just adding that extra sweater or blanket. My kids are used to it too.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:06 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,816,907 times
Yikes -- this past weekend we were looking at a 2400 s.f. house built in 1922 with TWO oil tanks and TWO electric furnaces (forced air). Any idea how much that will cost to heat in the winter?

Old 11-26-2007, 01:49 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Yikes -- this past weekend we were looking at a 2400 s.f. house built in 1922 with TWO oil tanks and TWO electric furnaces (forced air). Any idea how much that will cost to heat in the winter?
No idea...

You know oil usage is based on a few factors... major ones are
1) efficiency of the furnace. They could have new furnace in.
2) How well insulate your house is..
3) The set temperature.
4) Temperature outside.
5) How much how hot water you use. (if you use furnace to heat water)

Furnace should be tuned-up once a year. If furnace is older than 15-20 years, one should consider replacing it because of the efficiency factor.

Forced hot air if using oil heat.... heats the water in the pipe, then heat water is circulate to the heat exchanger, then the fan blow the warm air into the house. One advantage is it heats the house relatively fast. Disadvantage would be feeling drying and more dust due to blowing hot air.

I suggest wearing a jacket inside the house and set the temp to 65 max when people/kids are there and 55-60 at night or when no one is home.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:50 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beijing66 View Post
in less than a week, we have already used a quarter of oil. My oil tank is about 215- gallon big. That means I am going to use up the whole tank in about 4 weeks. Is this normal?

I have radiant heat, it takes forever for the underground pipes to warm up the whole house. Usually it will have to run 7 to 8 hours before the temp goes from 60 to 70 degree. I am thinking that maybe the pipes are getting old and inefficient, that's why I am using so much oil, a quart of a tank in less than a week?
Using a tank of oil is a month during cold temperature (10-20F) is not un-reasonable. However, it really depends on what temp you set your thermostat at, the size of your house and how well insulate your house is. It seems a little high for outside temperatures in the 30s only.

Are you saying radiant floor heat? My understanding is standard base board heating using heated water to the wall board and then use the copper to transfer heat to the air in the house usually takes 2-3 hours to warm the house up. Forced hot air takes about 0.75-1hr to warm the house.

Radiant heating has a number of advantages: it is more efficient than baseboard heating and usually more efficient than forced-air heating because no energy is lost through ducts. The lack of moving air can also be advantageous to people with severe allergies. Hydronic (liquid-based) systems use little electricity, a benefit for homes off the power grid or in areas with high electricity prices.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,179,000 times
I'll be a contrarain here: I lived in a house once with oil driven baseboard radiators and hated it. I have now--and MUCH prefer--forced air heat driven by natural gas. I have a 2500 sq.ft. house 4br/3.5ba house with a gas water heater. The home is a newer one, thus well-insulated with decent double-pane windows. We keep the thermostat at a toasty 72, day and night. Our high-efficiency furnace is almost 6 years old. My highest gas bill is in January/February and it's usually about $300-$350. for the month. Last month the bill was around $100.

Natural gas is, hands down, the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts