Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM

29 posts, read 42,037 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband is considering a relocation with his company to Billerica, MA. We are currently living in a lovely town in eastern Fairfield County, CT but are originally from southeastern PA, northern suburbs of Philadelphia and family still there. We have two boys, 6 1/2 and 4 who are very outgoing. Seeking a vibrant town with strong community feel, great schools, convenient shopping, cultural and recreational activities and welcoming to new families. One of the things we love about our current town is how nice everybody is- a refreshing change from metro Philadelphia - and we are only a short drive to train station to NYC (1 hr train ride though), so convenient as well for social and cultural trips into city. Welcoming from day one and has been great meeting other mothers through PTA at school, newcomers club, etc. - social, active, civic minded women but not cliquey. Relatively easy for a newcomer to settle in. Looking for same type of things, very important for me and my family to connect with my town/neighborhood and the people. Loved what have read so far about Metro West area - Needham, Medfield, and Holliston in particular - and just looking for insight into commute to Billerica. Have not yet been up to visit but will be doing so if opportunity moves forward. Very hesitant to leave CT as we are not conditioned to relocating every two years and would like not to have to do so again in the near future. Have heard great things about Boston metro, so strongly considering. I formerly worked in Pharma, am currently at home, but may look to on-ramp in future once youngest is in school. Family is still in PA and NY so steering away from northern towns due to highway access, etc. Budget is 500k-650k, 2500 sq ft but could go less for right location. Sorry I am kind of rambling here, but any insight much appreciated... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 01:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,841,716 times
I assume he'd have to drive to work and if work is in Billerica you'll want to live somewhere north-ish rather than in Holliston or Medfield or anyplace else like that that's closer to CT. Visiting the relatives is a sometime thing vs. the daily commute. Make it relatively easy; there are plenty of nice towns in the north/northwest suburban zone. The area between the 93 and 3 expressways is more built up and less affluent. Once you move west of Route 3 you get into Fairfield County-like rural residential affluence if that's what you like: Carlisle, Concord, Acton, Sudbury, and many others. I have no basis for generalizing about welcoming vs. not. I'm surprised to read your comment that Fairfleld County is friendlier than the north Phila suburbs; don't know why they should be that different from each other, or from metro Boston, for that matter. Sounds like maybe you should stay put if you've found a place you like so much.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
I would look in Acton and Westford.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 AM

29 posts, read 42,037 times
Thank you for the suggestions... Acton looks lovely, but should I be concerned about the superfund site cleanup in Acton/Concord area? Saw some info on the EPA website.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:20 PM

26 posts, read 36,757 times
I am not sure why no one has mentioned Burlington.
You might want to look at it...

Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,971 times
Second Burlington for your needs and budget. Carlisle is more rural and nice, but not nearly as convenient. It is also more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts