Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 AM

12 posts, read 39,839 times

Advertisements

First, forgive me if this belongs in another forum/post - I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but let me know if I goofed!

I'm moving to Fall River in about a month and thinking of bringing my ice hockey equipment. I probably won't have time to get involved in any real leagues, but does anyone know of casual pickup games (preferably for intermediate to advanced levels) or rinks that are easily accessible from Fall River?

Along those same lines, I heard Brown and Harvard have decent college teams, but are there any other beloved local semi-pro/college teams? (Yeah, yeah, I know the Bruins are close, but I'm a Kings fan 'til I die, and too poor for NHL tickets!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 10:51 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,056,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurisdoctorette View Post
First, forgive me if this belongs in another forum/post - I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but let me know if I goofed!

I'm moving to Fall River in about a month and thinking of bringing my ice hockey equipment. I probably won't have time to get involved in any real leagues, but does anyone know of casual pickup games (preferably for intermediate to advanced levels) or rinks that are easily accessible from Fall River?

Along those same lines, I heard Brown and Harvard have decent college teams, but are there any other beloved local semi-pro/college teams? (Yeah, yeah, I know the Bruins are close, but I'm a Kings fan 'til I die, and too poor for NHL tickets!)
there are Jr. teams in Massachusetts you could watch. There are the Providence Bruins(PBruins) an AHL team that is affordable. Some of the nearby rinks do have pickup games. I know this happens in Cranston and Pawtucket, R.I. Hopefully there is a web site you could look for public rinks in Massachusetts and Rhode Island and also check nearby colleges. Actually the best consistent college teams have been Boston College (ncaa Division 1 National Champs) and Boston University. Both Brown and Harvard have been down of recent years. Northeastern and Providence College can also have good teams. Good luck

Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 PM

12 posts, read 44,786 times
Goto google maps for Fall River. Search for hockey rinks. Call them about stick time or pick up games. If theres rink's I can almost guarantee there are pick up games looking for players. You could also try to find a team that needs fill ins.

What do you mean by "intermediate to advanced"? Advanced would likely include D1 college and former minor pro players. (Im not saying this isn't your level just giving you a heads up)

Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanks to both of you. I've googled rinks but haven't had time to call them yet and just wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience.

jbushkey, that's what I meant by advanced. I played high school varsity in Minnesota and was going to play D1 until I hurt my knees. That was a while ago but I find that I still really like the advanced pickup games - all the challenge without the pressure.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
I'd call Driscoll in Fall River, Hetland in New Bedford, and Aleixo in Taunton. All are within 10-15 minutes of Fall River.

FMC (the company that operates all of those rinks) has adult leagues, but the closest is in Plymouth (45 minutes from Fall River). Check out their league info here FMC Ice Sports | 1.888.74.SKATE

There's a league at the Blackstone Valley Sports Center in Pawtucket which is about 25-30 minutes away from Fall River. Check them out here: BVSportsCenter.com - Welcome to the home of Blackstone Valley Sports Center on the Web!

It may be worth looking into Cranston's rink too. I don't know what they have for adult hockey. Cranston Veteran's Memorial Ice Rink | Cranston, Rhode Island 02921

Right outside Fall River is Teamworks in Somerset. They don't do hockey, but they have field hockey, volleyball, soccer, flag football and basketball adult leagues. During summers in college I played Flag Football and Volleyball. Both were fun even though I had never played volleyball in my life and barely played football. https://www.teamworkssomerset.com/

Oh, and the Providence Bruins are right down the road (20 minutes to get to the Dunkin Donuts Center from Fall River). It's fun and cheap. Yes they're affiliated with the Boston Bruins, but it's still good entertainment. UMass Dartmouth and Roger Williams University play hockey nearby too.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM

613 posts, read 2,308,010 times
BU and BC have combined to win something like 4 out of the last 5 NCAA D1 hockey championships so college hockey is definitely big in the area. The annual Beanpot Tournament is held at the Garden in Boston every winter and is extremely popular. It features the BU, BC, Northeastern and Harvard teams playing for local bragging rights. Something that may be fun for you to follow when it's happening. Beanpot Hockey

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 8,671 times
Also keep in mind that the Manchester Monarchs are the Kings' AHL affiliate, and are in the same division as the P Bruins. I'm pretty sure they played in Providence 4 or 5 times last season, so you'll have an opportunity to check out your teams prospects when they come to town.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logloglog View Post
Also keep in mind that the Manchester Monarchs are the Kings' AHL affiliate, and are in the same division as the P Bruins. I'm pretty sure they played in Providence 4 or 5 times last season, so you'll have an opportunity to check out your teams prospects when they come to town.
Fabulous! I've never paid any attention to the AHL, but you've just given me a new favorite team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
BU and BC have combined to win something like 4 out of the last 5 NCAA D1 hockey championships so college hockey is definitely big in the area.
I'm aware - my hometown Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs were that one team to win the D1 championship, in 2010! GO DOGS!

Thanks everyone for the replies - I'm looking forward to playing some hockey when I move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts