Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 AM

675 posts, read 1,699,897 times

Advertisements

Ok, as is my understanding, the South Shore is the cities/towns between Boston and the Cape Cod Canal that touch shoreline (Quincy, Braintree, Weymouth, Hull, Hingham, Cohasset, Scituate, Marshfield, Duxbury, Kingston, Plymouth) or touch a town that touches shoreline (Milton, Randolph, Holbrook, Rockland, Hanover, Norwell, Pembroke, Halifax, Plympton, Carver) and a few that touch a town that touches a town that touches shoreline (Brockton, Abington, Bridgewater, Whitman, Hanson).

And as is my understanding, "South Coast" is New Bedford, Fall River, and...ok, I really don't know, it's kind of a new term for me.

So what are the boundaries? Where do towns like Middleboro, Taunton, Avon, Stoughton, and Norton fit in? Is the South Coast everything south that isn't South Shore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
No, some of those towns don't fall in either category. For instance, Brockton, Abington, Bridgewater, etc. are not the "South Shore". Think of the words "coast" and "shore".

Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 AM

296 posts, read 532,138 times
South coast is the southern parts of Plymouth and Bristol counties. Taunton is too far inland.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:27 AM

675 posts, read 1,699,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No, some of those towns don't fall in either category. For instance, Brockton, Abington, Bridgewater, etc. are not the "South Shore". Think of the words "coast" and "shore".
As a purist that's what I would think but culturally those end up getting associated with the South Shore for example if you read the Patriot Ledger. Meanwhile Halifax and Plympton, which follow the touching towns with shores category, culturally don't seem to. Kind of fuzzy boundaries!

Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,787 times
South Coast are towns and cities on 195. Fall River, Somerset, Swansea, New Bedford, Acushnet, Westport, Dartmouth, etc.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:11 AM

536 posts, read 844,562 times
I grew up in Stoughton and always have thought of it as South Shore. South shore as in, in an eastern part of the state south of Boston.

The North Shore consists of eastern Mass towns located north of Boston, no? I never understood these terms to literally mean that the town was on the shoreline.

There may be some ambuiguity about where the town is too far west, but I would put it the border probably at the edge of counties rather than towns.

My brother who lives in Duxbury thinks of it as the Cape (or 'the greater Cape' as he puts it), but he has always been eccentric.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:30 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
I always thought of Holbrook, Abington, Whitman, Hanson, etc. to be definitely S. Shore. Brockton, the Bridgewaters are debatable. Stoughton is a stretch. West of Rt. 24 and south of Stoughton is certainly NOT the S. Shore.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,860 times
I must be a puritanical purist. South Shore are those cities/towns on the water between Boston and the Canal (Quincy to Plymouth). South Coast are those cities/towns, on the water, from the MA/RI border to Wareham (Fall River, Dartmouth, Mattapoisett, Marion, etc).
Randolph, Abington, Brockton, Taunton, Stoughton, Middleboro,etc., are simply "Southeastern MA". They do not border the ocean.
IMHO

Old 09-01-2013, 06:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
I must be a puritanical purist. South Shore are those cities/towns on the water between Boston and the Canal (Quincy to Plymouth). South Coast are those cities/towns, on the water, from the MA/RI border to Wareham (Fall River, Dartmouth, Mattapoisett, Marion, etc).
Randolph, Abington, Brockton, Taunton, Stoughton, Middleboro,etc., are simply "Southeastern MA". They do not border the ocean.
IMHO

That's how I think of them too, although I'll quibble about Milton and Quincy being truly "South Shore". I consider both of them "Metro Boston" because of their proximity. "South Shore" starts at Braintree and goes toward the Cape. south.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:08 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
IMHO
The South Shore (to most) is more of a term to describe the general region rather than a geographical thing (as in the physical coast itself).

Randolph, Abington, and Stoughton are not in SE MA, which is basically everything from Brockton southward. When people refer to SE MA, they are generally talking about Plymouth and Bristol counties (The Cape and Islands are not usually included).

I haven't met anyone from Abington who does not consider themselves to be of the South Shore. Randolph falls in the grey zone with Quincy, Braintree, Brockton, etc. Stoughton is considered the South Shore by a few, but that is certainly in the minority (even less than Randolph). Those places are most often considered "South of Boston" (rather than the S Shore or SE MA).

There doesn't seem to be any disagreement on what the South Coast constitutes of, I think that is pretty straightforward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts